The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

The pitcher does not count in the passing the infielder discussion. So if a runners is standing on 2b and hit by a ground or fly ball he is out, unless the infielders are playing in, in meaning in front of the runner. The logic behind the rule is that a runner could stand on the bag and allow a batted ball to strike him and eliminate a potential play by a fielder. So there is a penalty for getting struck, so don't get struck.
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 09:37pm

Quote:
Originally posted by PJUMP
So technically the person on 2nd base can't be called out if he is on the base and gets hit by a batted ball because once the pitcher pitches he becomes a fielder. The ball will have to past the pitcher - now a fielder to hit the person on 2nd base.

What is considered playing in - in front of the base, edge of the grass, few feet on the grass. If the runner on 3rd is smart he should have his foot on the side of the base and be in foul territory so he can't be called out - or MUCH LESS of a chance to be called out.

Mike
Like DG said, the pitcher is not considered an infielder for the purpose of this rule.

What I can't figure out is why the runner on third was standing on the base when the ball was hit. Why wasn't he leading off in foul territory? The original question was asked by a HS coach, so I guess he's talking about a HS situation here. Have the runner start his lead off with both feet in foul ground, off the base, and then he is protected from being out when hit by a batted ball.

I could see this happening in a non-leadoff style game, such as LL Majors, but not in a game that permits leadoffs.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

This play did not actually happen. It was discussed in our local chapters meeting with disagreement between officials. I just came on here to get the opinions of other officials. I am a football official also and know that the section of the board for football is a great source of information. Alot of knowledge and learning goes on this site. Keep up the good work guys and have a great season.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Some may say TWP and I wouldn't disagree since I've have never witnessed this ;but I can imagine a situation where standing in foul ground doesn't protect the runner from interference.Hard shot off the front edge of third base which then strikes runner who is completely outside foul line.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fmsc
Some may say TWP and I wouldn't disagree since I've have never witnessed this ;but I can imagine a situation where standing in foul ground doesn't protect the runner from interference.Hard shot off the front edge of third base which then strikes runner who is completely outside foul line.
The runner is still protected. The runner is (generally)out when he's hit by a fair ball in fair territory. In the play you describe he's hit by a fair ball in foul territory. The ball remains live.