The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

In a recent clinic, it was noted that I was not tracking pitches all the way to the catcher's mitt as well as I should. Are there any good drills or exercises that I can do outside of (i.e., in addition to) the cages or games that will help me improve in this area?

Also, I would appreciate hearing any pros/cons regarding keeping your head square with the body in a heel/toe stance (i.e., facing approximately F4), and moving your eyes to see the release of the pitch, versus having your head square to the pitcher, and looking straight at the release.

I know that these are basic questions/issues, and I apologize if they have been discussed in earlier posts. With the search function disabled, I went back through many pages of posts to see if these might have been addressed, but found nothing.
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gotblue?
In a recent clinic, it was noted that I was not tracking pitches all the way to the catcher's mitt as well as I should. Are there any good drills or exercises that I can do outside of (i.e., in addition to) the cages or games that will help me improve in this area?

Also, I would appreciate hearing any pros/cons regarding keeping your head square with the body in a heel/toe stance (i.e., facing approximately F4), and moving your eyes to see the release of the pitch, versus having your head square to the pitcher, and looking straight at the release.

I know that these are basic questions/issues, and I apologize if they have been discussed in earlier posts. With the search function disabled, I went back through many pages of posts to see if these might have been addressed, but found nothing.
You should not be facing F4. You must twist at the waist to square-up you shoulders to F1.
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I do not know of any drills to help you with tracking the ball without having a ball to track. Just try to set-up so that you can see the entire plate and follow the ball all the way with your eyes (keep your head still).

After more than 20 years I switched to the GD stance 2 seasons ago and face F1 (I have always faced F1). I need to see what he's doing or not doing. At higher levels their moves are quicker so more attention needs to be paid to them. At the lower levels their moves are 'stranger' and more attention needs to be paid to them.

I find that the GD stance allows me a better view of the pitch all the way in, you might want to try it.

Good luck

Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

it was posted on another board once to lay on a bed, couch, the floor, and just throw a tennis ball up and let it come down (catch it if its going to hit you in the face). dont take your eyes off of it no matter where it goes and follow it all the way. due to your head being supported by the floor, if you notice your head coming off of it, then you have a problem.

its just a little thing to do while sitting around that gets you to see how it feels to track a pitch, and trains you on how to keep your head still. the best practice would be out on a field or in the cage taking pitches, but that isnt always possible, so toss some tennis balls up while you are laying around and work hard to make sure you arent moving your head (but are seeing the pitches) during your next games.

[Edited by briancurtin on Mar 16th, 2006 at 11:43 AM]
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ToGreySt
similar to what brian just posted, it was recommended to me that I get someone to throw ping-pong balls at my mask and track it with my eyes... not sure if this is the greatest idea or if it will help at all, just passing on what I heard
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Try this. Get in front of a mirror. Place 4 baseballs about 6 feet in front of you, 2 of them 17 inches apart and the other 2 about 8 inches wider on either side. Get set in your stance (I use GD) and practice looking directly ahead at your mask in the mirror and then quickly down to a baseball. Go from one to the other and back. DO NOT MOVE YOUR HEAD, or any other muscle, except the muscles that move your eyeballs.
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Another way, similar to what Brain said, is to sit in a chair with a tennis ball and throw the ball up in the air (under handed) and don't catch it until it comes down around your waist. The key to this excercise to NOT to see how well you can catch, but rather how well you can follow the ball from when it's on it's way up until it comes down and it enters in your hand. This mimicks the basics of calling pitches ie, "See the pitch, see the catch, make the call"

Remember to always keep your head straight (looking forward), and follow the ball as it comes down by moving your eyeballs only (your head should not "bob" up or down). Catch the ball in different spots - to your right, left and in front of you, but always let the ball fall to your waist so that the eyes "track" the ball in all different directions. Hope this helps!
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, guys! The suggestions all sound useful, and I am going to give them all a try to see what might help most. I am sure that nothing is better than having live pitching or doing cage work, but those are not available to me to the extent that I would like.

I also appreciate the comments referring to using the GD system. I worked with that some in the fall, and hope to go to GD full time this spring. The association conducting the clinic that I attended did not want me using it, however (reminded me of Tee saying that he was going to some high level clinic where his use of GD was not going to sit well).

On top of that, they threw me the "curve ball" of wanting me to have my head aimed roughly toward F4 (for a RH batter) (20 degrees off a line from the back tip of the plate to the center of the pitcher's plate), and look toward F1 out of the corner of my eyes.

I did not fare well, in part because of these fairly radical changes from what I was used to doing. I do admit, however, that I do need to work on tracking the ball better.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 02:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
On top of that, they threw me the "curve ball" of wanting me to have my head aimed roughly toward F4 (for a RH batter) (20 degrees off a line from the back tip of the plate to the center of the pitcher's plate), and look toward F1 out of the corner of my eyes.
I remember seeing on ESPN Classic some footage of Mark McGwire during one of his huge home run seasons in STL with Steve Traschel on the hill. PU used the scissors and was pointed towards F4 like you are talking about. Now, where his head was looking and eyes were focused on I can't say, but I can tell you that his body was pointing towards F4. I didn't know this was still being taught.