The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Does anybody own a pair of the new Gerry Davis pants? If so, how are they? I need a good pair of combo pants and I am contemplating getting them, they just look too dark. What are your all's opinions on pants?
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Don't bother with Combo Pants. The legs are too narrow to comfortably/properly fit over most shin guards.

If you can't afford, or justify, two pair of pants, then just buy Plate pants and wear them on the bases. You can always buy Base pants later, and haven't wasted any money.

Nick
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Some folks love 'em, some folks hate 'em. Personally, I have no trouble wearing shin guards under combo pants and they fit me well.

Being even wider than combo pants, I think that plate pants look sloppy when worn on the bases. But that's just me.

To each his own.

Sorry, but I have not seen the GD combos.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

what about the new Davis pants though? Should I give them a try or what brand should I go with? Fechheimer? Cliff Keen? Honigs? The new Davis' just seem a little dark. I'll mainly use them for youth ball where I will be wearing smaller shins anyways so I am not worrying about them fitting over my west vest shins. Thanks alot for your responses.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I have a couple of pairs of pants, Fech plates and Davis combo's, in size 44, hemmed to 30 inches. I don't wear 44's anymore, and will probably sell them on Ebay.

By the way, the Fech's are still the best pants, and if I could get away with it, I'd still be wearing them. But, or should I say BUTT, thats not possible and remain in full compliance of applicable laws concerning public decency.

Bob P.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

How are the +POS plate pants?

No customer service comments please.

Tks.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

MidTnBlu

Email me.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

i personally would not recommend combo pants. i have a pair as backups to my plate and base pants, but i hope that i never need to wear them. on the plate they look ridiculous, especially working GD and having them come up a few inches to show my shinguards off. on the bases i find they a bit too roomy in the legs.

also, i wouldnt recommend buying only plate pants and wearing them on the bases. i had to do this once because a scheduled single scrimmage turned into a double header (we arranged i was on the plate beforehand) and A) plate pants are typically longer, and were almost dragging under my shoes, and B) they were flapping in the wind like 2 flags on my legs.

if you cant afford separate base and plate pants, go for combo pants but do try and see if you can afford the separates.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by midtnblu
How are the +POS plate pants?

No customer service comments please.

Tks.
I have +POS combo and base pants, and have been impressed with their durability and their capacity not to turn pink. I can recommend them without reservation (as long as we're not talking about customer service).
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lmathews19
what about the new Davis pants though? Should I give them a try or what brand should I go with? Fechheimer? Cliff Keen? Honigs? The new Davis' just seem a little dark. I'll mainly use them for youth ball where I will be wearing smaller shins anyways so I am not worrying about them fitting over my west vest shins. Thanks alot for your responses.
You just said it, "just seem a little dark". I use plate pants (Fech) when I have a single game behind the plate. I use combos (Honigs) for double headers and when I have a single base game.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Right now I've got GD, +POS, Honigs, Fechheimers in my closet. My favorites are the +POS pleated base pants, and the Honigs pleated combos. I'm tall and thin, so combos are perfect on me. Plenty of room in the legs for WV shin guards. For those that are no so thin (see, I didn't call anyone fat) regular plate pants are more "flattering". Combos don't seem to work on short inseams.

BUT they're all cut a little differently. My Fech's are wider, and GD's a little narrow. Me, I'm 6'1" and 175. Your mileage may vary.

Oh yeah, IMO plate pants look absolutely rediculous on the bases. I've been forced to wear them once, and being fairly tall, I could actually HEAR them flapping on my legs. I should have call myself out for visual obstruction.
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

I'm stocking up on equipment and uniforms for the upcoming season. Lucky for me, I have a fully-stocked umpire supply store (http://www.refandsport.com/) right here in town, just minutes from my house.

Last week I went there and picked up two pairs of Cliff Keene combo pants. I also received in the mail a pair of brand-new, with all the tags, +POS plate pants that I found on eBay for less than 1/2 price.

Comparing the two brands side-by-side, all of the labeling and tags on the pants look identical, with the lone exception of a single "+POS" tag and "CK" tag on the respective brands. The material and stitching also seem the same.

It looks to me that they come from the exact same manufacturer and are labeled for each individual brand, much the same way as if you buy a "Kenmore" washing machine at Sears, you are in fact getting a "Whirlpool" built machine with a "Kenmore" nameplate stuck on it.

[Edited by BretMan on Mar 8th, 2006 at 08:34 AM]
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

guys, I have a pair of brand new cliff keen pants combo, unhemmed with 38" waist. Also have 38*32 pants if anyone needs them for a good deal.

As for the pants, they do look darker than the other pants I have seen.

Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by midtnblu

How are the +POS plate pants

I do not know if you umpire HS but if you do most HS Umpire associations have a dress code. For example in mine we CANNOT wear the +POS pants. We are required to wear the Fechheimer Grey. The +POS are a different color grey.

I know you asked how the pants are meaning are they comfortable but I just wanted to make a note that +POS Pants are not Fechheimer which from my experience most associations require. The +POS pants are primarily prevalent in LL umpires or other similar Youth Organizations.

Pete Booth
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth

The +POS pants are primarily prevalent in LL umpires or other similar Youth Organizations.

Pete Booth
[/B]
Doesn't MiLB wear +POS?