Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by briancurtin
i was down in STL today and yesterday watching my brother play (D3) and smitty PU was throwing the ball back almost every time. he buried at least 3 balls into the dirt, and threw 2 over F1's head.

oh yeah, he was wearing a black MLB uniform shirt with andy fletcher's number on it (i had to look that up, its #49). this guy probably couldnt even spell MLB.
Black is an acceptable color for NCAA ball.
yeah i realize this, but this had the MLB logo on the chest pocket and back of the neck. i like black myself, but not a real, seemingly authentic MLB shirt. especially when your partner is wearing all navy, and your own hat and ball bags are navy as well.

i just think its trying to be someone you arent by wearing that shirt on the field. others may disagree, but that was really my only problem with the shirt itself.

[Edited by briancurtin on Mar 13th, 2006 at 09:39 AM]
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[Amazing: If I worked where you work, the on-deck batter would retrieve the ball. It's a courtesy ever present - when I'm behind the mask.

*shrug* I only relate the situation as it is. Where I work, F2 jumps up the instant a ball goes to the backstop (even fouled off), so they are obviously taught to do that at their level (for whatever reason, I don't know). There's almost never a F2 to hand a ball to, if I were so inclined.

If the ball is obviously 'out', F2 will stand and put his mitt out to me for a ball. If he isn't sure its 'out', then he's off to the races, and I'm tossing a ball to F1 (who's walked toward me to ~ 45 feet). I haven't missed a toss yet, although there's always a first time.

I will have to try calling 'on-deck!' sometime to see if the ODB reacts. Might be entertaining.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Change not a bad thing~

Quote:
Originally posted by LMan
Quote:
[Amazing: If I worked where you work, the on-deck batter would retrieve the ball. It's a courtesy ever present - when I'm behind the mask.

*shrug* I only relate the situation as it is. Where I work, F2 jumps up the instant a ball goes to the backstop (even fouled off), so they are obviously taught to do that at their level (for whatever reason, I don't know). There's almost never a F2 to hand a ball to, if I were so inclined.

If the ball is obviously 'out', F2 will stand and put his mitt out to me for a ball. If he isn't sure its 'out', then he's off to the races, and I'm tossing a ball to F1 (who's walked toward me to ~ 45 feet). I haven't missed a toss yet, although there's always a first time.

I will have to try calling 'on-deck!' sometime to see if the ODB reacts. Might be entertaining.
It shouldn't matter what everyone else does, you are in charge of your game and its very easy to fix.

Simply tell F2, "we'll let the ondeck guys to the chasing tonight, give them something to do".

F2 will love you for it, and the time saved in a three hour game ....

Might take a few reminders, but after a couple of innings everyone should be on board.

thanks
David
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
Quote:
Quote:

Here's some advice that will speed up your games immensely. First:

At the pre-game meeting, "remind" the coaches that the on-deck batter should retrieve all loose balls when the bases are empty: wild pitch, passed ball, foul: "Coach, don't forget to let them know that's their job."

Second:

The first time the catcher starts for a ball that the on-deck batter should get, say: "Wait up, Hoss!"

Finally:

Before your post, I had never heard of an "area" where the catchers chased free balls. Amazing!

How about letting us know what part of the country that is?

Added: My conscience reminded me that the on-deck batter CANNOT get the loose ball after a wild pitch/passed ball because that never occurs unless a runner moves up a base. What I meant to say was: "The on-deck batter should retrieve loose balls, i.e, foul balls or pitches not controlled by the catcher."

[Edited by Carl Childress on Mar 13th, 2006 at 02:43 PM]
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the good input, I will try your methods and see how it goes.

Quote:

Would "Aler-bamer" surprise you?
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress

Before your post, I had never heard of an "area" where the catchers chased free balls. Amazing!

It might also depend on the level of ball. Around here, for example, HS and up the on-deck batter retrieves; lower, F2 usually retrieves.

Carl's suggestions work for the Frosh ball -- where they are "learning" the ropes. They are genererally ineffective for the lower level stuff. Above Frosh, the players generally have learned what to do.

Old Wed Mar 15, 2006, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

And

The level of ball often dictates the layout of the field: if all you've got is 10 feet between F2 and the backstop, it's not much of a burden for F2 to fetch. At higher levels, where there's 60 feet, it makes more sense for someone else to do it.
Old Wed Mar 15, 2006, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:

Quote:

In my part of Aler-bamer, the ODB runs those
down, not F2.
Old Wed Mar 15, 2006, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by umpduck11
Quote:

Quote:

down, not F2.

You are fortunate, then.
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by umpduck11
Quote:

Quote:

down, not F2.

You are fortunate, then.
In my part of Alabama (Morgan, Cullman, and Lawrence Counties) the ODB always goes after foul balls at the backstop.
Tighten them up LMan!!
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobama84
Tighten them up LMan!!
uh huh, that will happen

......We'll see Mideast peace before 'traditions' change around here!