Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by largeone59

OBR 2.00 Fair:

A FAIR BALL is a batted ball ...that touches first, second or third base, or that...

I think that answers your question.

Your FED reference was also correct.
Is either of those statements in NCAA?

Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally posted by bellsjc
Now the question that needs to be asked is... Batter hits a line drive up the middle. The ball hits the front edge of second base and flies over the foul line between home and 3rd base where it rolls to a stop. Is this a fair or foul ball?
Fair ball.

Largeone gave you one reason when he mentioned the ball hit the second base bag. If by some act of God the ball landed just in front of the second base bag with enough backspin to cause it to pass the foul line between home and third or home and first it would still be a fair ball. Second base is beyond both the first and third base bag.

Official Notes - Case Book - Comments... If a fly ball lands on or beyond first or third base and then bounces to foul territory, it is a fair hit. Clubs, increasingly, are erecting tall foul poles at the fence line with a wire netting extending along the side of the pole on fair territory above the fence to enable the umpires more accurately to judge fair and foul balls.

Tim.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

If by some act of God the ball landed just in front of the second base bag with enough backspin to cause it to pass the foul line between home and third or home and first it would still be a fair ball. Second base is beyond both the first and third base bag.

Fair in Fed. Foul in OBR. I do not know about NCAA.

Second base is farther from home than first base is, but second base is not considered beyond first base.

to enable the umpires more accurately to judge fair and foul balls.

Kudos to the writers of the rule book for avoiding the split infinitive!

[Edited by greymule on Mar 7th, 2006 at 04:01 PM]
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

trying to find FED rule for ball hitting pither's plate and going into foul territory between home and either 1st or 3rd. I know that it is foul, but cannot find in rule book. I can only find definition of a foul 2-16-1. Help!
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Then you've found it. The definition is all you need. There is nothing anywhere in the rule book to tell you to treat the mound or pitcher's plate any differently than any other patch of grass or dirt. The definition itself tells you that this ball is foul.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

The play would more likely be presented in the case book anyway.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Whoa. Back-up a second.

bellsjc asked:

"Batter hits a line drive up the middle. The ball hits the front edge of second base and flies over the foul line between home and 3rd base where it rolls to a stop. Is this a fair or foul ball?"

To which mcrowder replied:

"Question in previous post: Depends on the ruleset."

And then, I asked:

"Mcrowder, which rule set are you infering would call this "foul"?

And then things branched off in several different directions...

Still haven't got an answer to that one.

Every rule set I'm aware of would call this a fair ball. Why does it matter "which rule set"? It's fair for all of them, isn't it?

[Edited by BretMan on Mar 7th, 2006 at 06:08 PM]
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
Fair in Fed. Foul in OBR. I do not know about NCAA.
Second base is farther from home than first base is, but second base is not considered beyond first base.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I can't seem to find any interpretation that would support the idea that the second base bag is not to be considered beyond first or third.

If you were to draw a line from the back edge of first base and continue it on to the back edge of third base, the second base bag is beyond that line.

Tim.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

seems like the variable in this discussion is what everybody's personal definition of "beyond" is.

If we had a clear cut definition of "beyond", then this would solve everything.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

In OBR, a ball that hits just in front of 2B and then spins backward is not considered as having passed a base. To pass 1B, the ball would have to cross the line defined by 1B and 2B.

Notice that Fed specifically designates its boundary as the line between 1B and 3B. OBR does not mention any such line.

I know that this hinges on the definitions of words that are often tossed around rather loosely in general conversation, but I'm quite sure of this interpretation.

seems like the variable in this discussion is what everybody's personal definition of "beyond" is.

True. If you're in Philadelphia, Los Angeles is farther than New York, but it's not beyond New York. And you can hit a ball that's farther than 1B, but not beyond it.

[Edited by greymule on Mar 7th, 2006 at 06:59 PM]
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

From BRD item 105: batted ball hits pitcher's plate and goes foul

FED: Point not covered, but OFF INTERP 80-105 "A batted ball hitting the pitcher's plate and rebounding to foul ground between home and first or home and third witout touching a fielder is a foul ball as it did not hit beyond the imaginary line in the infield.

NCAA: "Same as FED"

OBR: "Same as NCAA"

"Though all codes are now the same this section will remain until the NFHS Committee incorporates OFF INTERP 80-105 into its rule book."

From BRD item 103: batted ball hits beyond imaginary line

FED: "A batted ball hitting beyond an imaginary line running between first and third is a fair ball, regardless of where the ball might first settle."

NCAA: "Point not covered."

OBR: "Point not covered."
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BretMan
Whoa. Back-up a second.

bellsjc asked:

"Batter hits a line drive up the middle. The ball hits the front edge of second base and flies over the foul line between home and 3rd base where it rolls to a stop. Is this a fair or foul ball?"

To which mcrowder replied:

"Question in previous post: Depends on the ruleset."

And then, I asked:

"Mcrowder, which rule set are you infering would call this "foul"?

And then things branched off in several different directions...

Still haven't got an answer to that one.

Every rule set I'm aware of would call this a fair ball. Why does it matter "which rule set"? It's fair for all of them, isn't it?

[Edited by BretMan on Mar 7th, 2006 at 06:08 PM]
I was incorrect. It is fair in both rulesets. The difference in the rulesets would apply if the ball landed just short of 2B and rolled back foul - but if, as in the OP, it actually HIT 2B, it's fair. I was off on that.
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by largeone59

If we had a clear cut definition of "beyond", then this would solve everything.
We do - in FED, "beyond" is anything that crosses a straight line between 1st base and 3rd base. In OBR, "beyond" is anything that crosses a line running perpendicular to the foul lines from 1st and 3rd base (these lines meet at second base).
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
We do - in FED, "beyond" is anything that crosses a straight line between 1st base and 3rd base.
Agreed.

Quote:
In OBR, "beyond" is anything that crosses a line running perpendicular to the foul lines from 1st and 3rd base (these lines meet at second base).
Reference, please. (I agree that's what's commonly used, but I don't recall reading it specifically anywhere. Then again, my memory isn't what it used to be.)
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
From BRD item 105: batted ball hits pitcher's plate and goes foul

FED: Point not covered, but OFF INTERP 80-105 "A batted ball hitting the pitcher's plate and rebounding to foul ground between home and first or home and third witout touching a fielder is a foul ball as it did not hit beyond the imaginary line in the infield.

NCAA: "Same as FED"

OBR: "Same as NCAA"

"Though all codes are now the same this section will remain until the NFHS Committee incorporates OFF INTERP 80-105 into its rule book."

From BRD item 103: batted ball hits beyond imaginary line

FED: "A batted ball hitting beyond an imaginary line running between first and third is a fair ball, regardless of where the ball might first settle."

NCAA: "Point not covered."

OBR: "Point not covered."
DG,
without sounding stupid (which might be impossible), where in the FED rule book is "a batted ball hitting beyond an imaginary line ..." found?

Also, could you clarify where you found OFF INTERP 80-105? What is the BRD? Where can I get a copy?

I apologize for my ignorance!