The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Hi all. I'm new here and a first year HS umpire.

Ok. Here's the situation. I was doing a JV game the other day and the pitcher was starting in the set position (not the stretch). From being set he would then lift both of his hands and glove above his head then make his delivery. Is this a balk or is a pitcher not required to come directly to the plate if hes not making or feinting a pickoff move?
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Balk

Pitcher cannot engage the pitcher's plate with his hands together. In this case, don't penalize, educate.

Have a great year.
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
I don't see where he said the pitcher engaged the rubber with his hands together. It just says the pitcher started from the set. If that's the case then there's no balk.

Tim.
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reznor

Ok. Here's the situation. I was doing a JV game the other day and the pitcher was starting in the set position (not the stretch). From being set he would then lift both of his hands and glove above his head then make his delivery. Is this a balk or is a pitcher not required to come directly to the plate if hes not making or feinting a pickoff move?

If the lifting of the hands and the delivery was in a smooth motion, then i'd let it go.

If there was a pause, hesitation, or jerk in the movement, then balk it.
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

It's real hard to envision what is happening here. There is a set position and a windup position. That's it. One can "go into a stretch" and one can "come set". These can only happen while using the set position.

We could all spit out the pitching rule, but try explaining what happened more clearly and the community will be able to help you better.

D
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Bad Mechanics

Technically, from the wind-up, one doe not have to wind-up. The pitcher could just deliver the ball. Although I love when they pitch quickly, make sure he doesn't get away with an unfair quick pitch. His motion must be consistent throughout the game.

[Edited by SAump on Feb 18th, 2006 at 08:39 PM]
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

His motion must be consistent throughout the game.

I was with you up to here - is this a FED thing?
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Ives
His motion must be consistent throughout the game.

No it doesn't...
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

FED thing?

I was merely pointing out that there is NO ideal pitching delivery in place for the wind-up.

Each young pitcher may have his own quirks in regards to hand and glove location, front shoulder movement or leg movement pause or hesitation or jerk; before he releases a pitch towards the batter.

His mechanics must be consistent throughout the game, or it could, by rule, be a BALK. Some folks thought that Fernando Valenzuela had an unusual delivery. It was consistent and legal throughout the ballgame. There was 1 sidewinding pitcher in MLB last year who released the ball from his ankles. I cannot recall his name at the moment, nor describe his unique delivery towards home plate; but there was nothing wrong with it. Let's hope he doesn't hurt himself too soon.

Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Mechanics do not have to be consistent throughout the game. Most good pitchers will vary their delivery with runners on base so base stealers don't get a consistent read which will make base stealing easy. As long as the delivery is legal, there is nothing illegal about varying the delivery from pitch to pitch or batter to batter.
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Also, a pitcher could throw sidearm one pitch, overhand the next and submarine style for the third. The whole sequence is legal.

D
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 02:10am
Official Forum Member

Re: FED thing?

Quote:
Originally posted by SAump
I was merely pointing out that there is NO ideal pitching delivery in place for the wind-up.

Each young pitcher may have his own quirks in regards to hand and glove location, front shoulder movement or leg movement pause or hesitation or jerk; before he releases a pitch towards the batter.

His mechanics must be consistent throughout the game, or it could, by rule, be a BALK. Some folks thought that Fernando Valenzuela had an unusual delivery. It was consistent and legal throughout the ballgame. There was 1 sidewinding pitcher in MLB last year who released the ball from his ankles. I cannot recall his name at the moment, nor describe his unique delivery towards home plate; but there was nothing wrong with it. Let's hope he doesn't hurt himself too soon.

So let's say a pitcher delivers like Valenzuela the whole game, then he pitches one like Randy Johnson.

You're calling a balk for this?
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 03:07am

Quote:
Originally posted by Reznor

He said "From being set..."

Reading this carefully, we can determine that Reznor is saying that the pitcher was starting with his hands together, and not with his pitching hand by his side. As largeone59 pointed out, this is not legal. He needs to start the set position with his hands apart, bring them together, and come set (stop), prior to delivering a pitch.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 03:41am
Official Forum Member

I agree that I need more info about exactly what was going on before I give my opinion.

But, beside the point, if any coach that allows a pitcher out of the stretch to go over his head during the delivery needs to be hit upside the head. There might be a world record for stolen bases against this guy.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Follwing along

"Bad Mechanics - Technically, from the wind-up, one doe not have to wind-up. The pitcher could just deliver the ball. ... His motion must be consistent throughout the game. ...His mechanics must be consistent throughout the game, or it could, by rule, be a BALK. "

The pitcher from the wind-up CANNOT change his motion/mechanics throughout the game. If he comes set and delivers a pitch, he must continue that motion throughout the game. If he raises his arms above his head and delivers a pitch, he must continue that motion throughout the game. If he alternates between these two legal motions to home plate, by rule, the first one could be called a QUICK PITCH and a BALK/Ball.

Similarly, if Fernando turns his back and looks up during the windup, he could easily get away with a quick pitch by delivering the ball straight to the plate. Yet, he didn't do that. His motion was consistent throughout the entire game. Good pitchers have a consistent motion, quirks and all, to the plate. I have yet to see a MLB pitcher vary his deliveries consistently throughout a ballgame. I never said it couldn't be done, I just imply that it is a RARE combination of events at the MLB level. I suppose anything is possible in the BUSH leagues.

Also, the pitcher's shoulder/feet from the set postion may angle out towards first base (<45o) or angle straight toward home plate throughout the ballgame. The pitcher would be restricted to choose only one. If he alternates between these two legal positions, by rule, the first one is NOW ILLEGAL and should be called a BALK every time afterwards. The runners would advance 1 base.