View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Follwing along

"Bad Mechanics - Technically, from the wind-up, one doe not have to wind-up. The pitcher could just deliver the ball. ... His motion must be consistent throughout the game. ...His mechanics must be consistent throughout the game, or it could, by rule, be a BALK. "

The pitcher from the wind-up CANNOT change his motion/mechanics throughout the game. If he comes set and delivers a pitch, he must continue that motion throughout the game. If he raises his arms above his head and delivers a pitch, he must continue that motion throughout the game. If he alternates between these two legal motions to home plate, by rule, the first one could be called a QUICK PITCH and a BALK/Ball.

Similarly, if Fernando turns his back and looks up during the windup, he could easily get away with a quick pitch by delivering the ball straight to the plate. Yet, he didn't do that. His motion was consistent throughout the entire game. Good pitchers have a consistent motion, quirks and all, to the plate. I have yet to see a MLB pitcher vary his deliveries consistently throughout a ballgame. I never said it couldn't be done, I just imply that it is a RARE combination of events at the MLB level. I suppose anything is possible in the BUSH leagues.

Also, the pitcher's shoulder/feet from the set postion may angle out towards first base (<45o) or angle straight toward home plate throughout the ballgame. The pitcher would be restricted to choose only one. If he alternates between these two legal positions, by rule, the first one is NOW ILLEGAL and should be called a BALK every time afterwards. The runners would advance 1 base.