The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Question Kept up with Ball Four?

Originally posted by SAump
The "Take Your Base Award Batter" is actually a Base on Balls AWARD that is not communicated to the batter. The catcher and batter should hear the original BALL call. The Base on Balls AWARD is communicated to the scorekeeper who may not hear the umpire's Ball 4 call because he is sitting in the cooler press box AC. I suppose he can see the batter THROW the bat and run to first, but an umpire's signal makes it OFFICIAL.
-----------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Are you suggesting that an umpire needs to make a verbal announcment to a scorekeeper for a base on balls?
-----------------------------
No, I am suggesting that an umpire will lose the use of his vocal chords for a day or two if he tries to shout out each and every call for the scorekeeper who may be sitting high above in an air-conditioned press box on a hot Texas day.

Perhaps some people will laugh at the behavior, but I actually feel sorry for any umpire who tries to shout each and every call to the scorekeeper who is already WATCHING the game.

I think I am asking for the umpire's signal to indicate how a BASE ON BALL AWARD is made by an UMPIRE to alert the official scorekeeper that it is an OFFICIAL decision, and not one made by the BATTER-RUNNER.

[Edited by SAump on Feb 25th, 2006 at 07:17 PM]
Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Leave the CALL Alone

"No one has switched to anything. Using the left hand to go to your partner for help on a check swing has always been the proper mechanic. What does being a newbie have to do with using your left arm to signal the appeal? Are you suggesting it's too much work for you, or are you saying it's too hard for you to remember to use the proper mechanic."
------------------------------------
Kinda like admitting that you require eating with your left-hand, its perfectly okay if your left-handed. Why don't you spell out the requirements for all the left-handed calls. I'm sure some of us-less-experienced would be grateful for the info. I promise not to antagonize any of the union boys when I see it from the stands either.

I'm saying that you're OOO so clever to require the use of the left-hand from anybody. Does your UNION have a PC problem with their leader's left-handedness, or anyone else's refusal to TURN into the requirement? I would suggest you keep it very quiet. It isn't something I would brag about at the union membership drive.

11) I use my right hand to point towards first base to my partner to signal, "Are you ready to start this game?"

12) I use my right hand to point towards first base to my partner to signal, "DID HE GO?"

Its perfectly okay if I don't turn my left shoulder into it. Now I will reserve the right to continue listing all the calls I make by raising my right ARM and pointing. I will also repeat that I do not point towards first base after a strike call and I'm proud of it.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

I don't believe I have ever said BALL FOUR, or BALL ONE, or BALL TWO, or BALL THREE. And if, after saying "BALL" on a 3 ball count, he doesn't go to 1B I might say THAT'S FOUR to the batter if he stands there long enough, and his coach doesn't holler out to him, but I am not likely to say TAKE YOUR BASE.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Its MY problem

But I got to ask, "Where do I put my traditional mask and indicator when I point towards first base with my left hand?"

I suppose some of YOU don't even bother to remove your HSM to address an appeal. But us tougher gentleman refuse to shout through a mask. Do you suggest I now move it to my right hand?

NO, I think you're full of BS anyway. I will not even consider making a call with my left hand. I already made the trade to hold my indicator while taking off my mask with my left-hand. Now how the hell am I suppose to POINT, too?

I guess its only my problem though since everyone else is already pointing with their left hand. I must be DUMB and CLUMSY too.

Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
These last several posts have given me a headache. First you say not to point on the strike call? But I guess it was a misfire, and you meant to say, don't point on ball four.

As I 'point' when I call a strike vs. hammering it, I would take exception to your point. Now, we should never "point" toward first on a base on balls, we might say something like "ball four" or some such reminder to a unfocused batter.

Now, pointing with the left hand is sometimes the proper thing to do. For example, when I get an appeal on a check swing, I point to my partner with my LEFT hand and ask "did he go". This is to avoid any misunderstanding by pointing with the right.

I suppose I should take some pain killers before I read some of these posts.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Re: Its MY problem

Quote:
I guess its only my problem though since everyone else is already pointing with their left hand. I must be DUMB and CLUMSY too.
If the shoe fits.........

Tim.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow Did HE GO?

Your not suggesting that I hold my shoes, my mask and my indicator and POINT to YOU at first base with my left hand?

My union is already asking me to hold my mask and my indicator in my left hand. I probably couldn't hold my shoes, mask and indicator in my left hand at the SAME time. I know it would look dumb without the shoes too. Is your union asking you to look dumb? That would be consistent with pointing with your left hand. Perhaps their asking you to keep your mask on too? My, how ugly!
Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Re: Did HE GO?

Quote:
Your not suggesting that I hold my shoes, my mask and my indicator and POINT to YOU at first base with my left hand?
I guess it's up to you whether you want to remove your shoes and mask before you go for the appeal. You should already have your indiclicker in your left hand though so trying to get those shoes untied might be a little tricky while holding on to it. You could set it down I suppose, but then you'd get all that dirt packed into the wheels.

Either way, removing the mask or not, any rookie who has ever attended even the most remedial clinic knows to go for the appeal with his left hand.

Tim.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Its MY problem

Quote:
But I got to ask, "Where do I put my traditional mask and indicator when I point towards first base with my left hand?"

I suppose some of YOU don't even bother to remove your HSM to address an appeal. But us tougher gentleman refuse to shout through a mask. Do you suggest I now move it to my right hand?
why would you have your mask off? i consider myself quite a gentleman, and will continue to shout through my mask. if i get an HSM, ill appeal on a check swing right through the bars. im trying to understand why you have your mask off though. pitch comes in, batter half swings, catcher points and then asks...and in those 5 seconds, why have you decided to take your mask off?

Quote:
I will not even consider making a call with my left hand.
in both states and at the levels i work, refusing to consider using the proper mechanics wouldnt get me too far. im guessing the same is true for most others here.

Quote:
I already made the trade to hold my indicator while taking off my mask with my left-hand. Now how the hell am I suppose to POINT, too?
extend your index finger from the fist you have made around your indicator.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

SAump, do you remove your mask between pitches?

Bob P.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Wink More IMPT things

Has the union boy explained how I'm gonna dump the indicator and traditional mask to make the proper appeal with my left-hand?

No, he puts a shoe in my hand and dumps my indicator into the dirt to tie my shoelaces. I'm suppose to get up and hold onto my shoe by the shoe-laces, the mask by the strap, and the clicker all in my left hand. Then I'm suppose to swing my left shoulder and arm so that these items smack the back of the catcher's head as I make a proper left-handed appeal towards first base. Did I say DUMB and clumsy?

No, I guess I CANNOT ask for an appeal because someone mistakenly believed I called a strike. Can you appeal a strike with, "DID HE GO?" By rule, NO! But I suppose a few would be misinterpret a proper right-handed appeal when the original call was a BALL. Hey Blue, your not suppose to appeal with your right hand, you called it a ball. YES, confusion. Did I not call it correctly?
Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

This is probably against better judgement, but I'm going to try this.

SAUmp, it is quite possible to hold your indicator AND your mask in your left hand, anytime you take your mask off. You may keep your shoes on,unless you need the digits for mathematical calculations.

The mechanics for a proper appeal on a check swing are pretty simple. You step out from behind the catcher (which would avoid the accidental smacking of him in the back of the head with your plate shoe) and you point with your left hand toward your partner.

I hope thats ok.

Bob P.

-----------------------
Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Bob,

He doesn't get it . . . trust me.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Tee,

Sometimes you can't hold back. These people say the most riduculous things.

Really Amazing.

Bob P.

-----------------------
Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Clarity

The catcher points with his right hand, the pitcher points with his right hand, and the 90% of the rest of the defense (in the field and from the dugout) all point with their right hands. My toes just wiggle at all the right-handedness in baseball.

But union dudes have a thing for the left hand, don't they?
Boy, don't even think about using your right hand.

Any more left handed pointers to know about?