The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Saturday, was our first association on field confab. It was in a driving rain, and was cold as a well digger in Alaska.
However, we were starting our season...YIPPPEEE!!!

Now, my peeve. I use the Gerry Davis system. I have for the last 5 years, well since 2000, after Gerry gave me an overhaul at a clinic. My issue is with my peers and trainers who don't know the first thing about this system. Some of the upgrades were:

1) Hey, get your hands off your knees, your gonna get hurt!
2) Move closer to the catcher, you are too far back.
3) You work wayyyyy tooo high. You're gonna miss the low pitch.

LAH ME!!! Play ball.

Bob

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Gerry really needs to do a decent video, packaged with a small club for those who try to 'help' ...
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
In my association, I am the only one using the GD. So far nobody has tried to correct me. God save them if they do, because they are going to miss dinner due to the 2 hour lecture I'll give them !

Nick
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RPatrino
SNIPPED
My issue is with my peers and trainers who don't know the first thing about this system. Some of the upgrades were:

1) Hey, get your hands off your knees, your gonna get hurt!
2) Move closer to the catcher, you are too far back.
3) You work wayyyyy tooo high. You're gonna miss the low pitch.

LAH ME!!! Play ball.

Bob
I got the same thing from my association. It dies down after a while once they see that they cannot shake you up. Be advised that I am not aspiring to climb any higher in my association (I am winding my umpiring career down). If you are a young buck, you may have to bow to the old fart's wishes (in your association).
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Go with what makes you comfortable. I do not get close to HS catchers do to their inabilities to make contact with me. I drop my hands in my squared position between my legs but at times I do get lazy and put them on my knees. Of course, it is not long until I am reminded why not to have my elbows out, foul tips hurt.

Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Talking

Foul tips hurt?
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

My Oh My!

Sorry Bob!

Ignorance is scary sometimes.

We have a Jim Evans Clinic the first weekend in March. I have already been told that for the first two days I MUST work heel-to-toe. On Sunday I will be "allowed" to work Davis.

Well the instructors have a little problem coming. I will not give up any cage work practice to use a stance that I will never use again.

People who don't get the "Davis System" always say the exact things that you list. They do not understand but it does not matter to them. They parrott things they have been told.

Those of us that are 5 years deep in the system and have been taught by Gerry (or his instructors) really understand it better than even professional instructors (unless it is one of the MLB guys that use the stance).

Bob, this is a review from our regional evaluator last year on my plate game:

1) "You're way to deep
2) "You're way to high
3) "You're going to get hit much more often using the stance.
4) "You shouldn't put your hands on your knees
5) "GREAT GAME, I don't think you missed a pitch."

ANYONE that thinks the hand and arm placement of the "Davis System" is either lazy or will make you subject to more injuries have never worked the stance or are just a little slow to recognize change.

I wouldn't know about "foul tips hurting" as I have never been hit by one.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

New season for me and I would like to find out more about the GD System. Can anyone direct me to learning opportunities - websites, books, videos, etc.?

Thanks in advance.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Here you go, Tony.

Good luck.

Tim.

http://childress.officiating.com/?d=...is+Part+II.pdf
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Is it not definitionally impossible to be hit by a foul tip?
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

BU56 thanks for the site. I will go there immediately.

mc - very observant on your part.
I can't believe I didn't see that right away.
. . . . . . . oh . . . .yes I can!!
It's those little things I keep working on and keep thinking " I've got it " and realize I still need work.
Nice observation though.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Tee, how right you are. My observer took about 5 minutes placing balls in various parts of zone while watching my eyes, just to be sure that I actually got a "good" look at the whole zone.

"You're sure you can see that pitch?"

Irekfy, putting my hands on my knees provides me a rock solid lock in mechanism, keeps my head in the same place for every pitch and keeps me square to the pitcher. I don't consider it lazy, and I'm not doing it because I'm tired. If you drop your hands between your legs, what is your lock in mechanism?

Bob

[Edited by RPatrino on Feb 1st, 2006 at 12:57 PM]

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

I am in my 4th year of using the GD system and I am a younger umpire (24). I am lucky to be in an association that promotes the GD system and actually encouarages using it ( about 80 - 90% of the top umpires in the association us it).

As for getting hit by more pitches: I took a lot more shots by foul balls (i still have not been hit by a foul tip)when i work heal-toe my first two seasons.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

General GD questions, possibly repeated.

Of the persons who have adopted the GD plate stance, and are working it as taught and intended...

Do any of you work, "lower level" 90 foot baseball? Non shavers? I ask this because it appears to a layman observer that this system would be a "bit" more dangerous for persons behind lesser skilled 14-16 year old catchers, and "wilder" pitchers.

GD looks good to me, and I am considering making this an OPTION in my association training, for persons that either want to go that way, or may benefit from the advantages of GD. However, I am concerned about the question above?

IS GD a good option for NEW umpires, or should it be reserved for upper level guys doing upper level ball?

Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Mike,

Gerry originally created the GD system specifically for amateur umpires. It's very easy to learn, creates a rock solid view of the pitch / strike zone & greatly reduces the risk of tangling with inexperienced catchers.

As an instructor, I have been teaching GD for three years now (Yes, I have the usual run-in's with evaluators). Almost without exception, every student that has been taught GD has stayed with it, even with pressure to change from evaluators.

The good news is that GD has now been accepted in our area as a standard rather than a gimmick.