The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

This past year I worked games ranging from 10U up to 18u. I currently have a Honig's K1 that is a few years old. it's in perfect shape and does a great job.

I was thinking of getting this CP (see pic) for the lower age groups where the K1 seems to be a little bit of overkill.

But...I'm also going to do more higher level baseball this year and was thinking of getting a WV Gold.

Do most of you have different CP's for the different levels? Or, should I just stick with the K1?

Thanks
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

What the F is that? Is it from hockey or something? Just skip the protector and wear a mask if that's all you need...

All I have is my trusty BB2000. I'd like a WV Gold for my birthday, though...
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Several of our youth umps wear the Rawlings. It's very lightweight and seems sturdy enough for the 11U and lower ages.

I wear my K1 and just felt I was "over doing" it when working a 10U game.

I think I'll get the WV and use the K1 for the younger kids. How's that?
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 2rad4u
Several of our youth umps wear the Rawlings. It's very lightweight and seems sturdy enough for the 11U and lower ages.

I wear my K1 and just felt I was "over doing" it when working a 10U game.

I think I'll get the WV and use the K1 for the younger kids. How's that?
Most folks I know that have a K1 swear by it. You must have some money burning a hole in your pocket to want to get a WV and use a perfectly good K1 for little kids.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

2rad4u,

I might wear that vest to a paint ball tournament, but no way would I wear that thing to the ball park. And double no way to letting a kid wear that. They need more protection than us geezers.

Years ago I got blasted in the chest in a 10 year old game. I had a soft shell protector, and I felt goofy (goofier!?) for several days. Off balance, short of breath, stupid. And that was just a foul ball off a TEN YEAR OLD! I pitched that thing, and my son's soft shell. I roll with a WV almost 100% of the time, and my son has a Cooper. I flat out laugh at shots I take with the Platium. I now dig the "oooo"'s and "are you all right?"'s after taking a square shot.

If only they made cups....
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

i use do mostly HS and up and really like the West Vest Gold.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2006, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Don't go soft

I once wore a Diamond umpire soft shell with hard plastic shoulder protection for 13YO ball and below. Then I took a shot to the chest. I felt the PAIN instantly and thought about what that would have done to my heartbeat beacuse we all hear about the little guys collapsing after taking a shot to the chest like that. I immediately began to wonder just about how big I was at the time. I called time and walked down the baseline. I felt no pain but my mind needed to be reassured that I wasn't about to collapse in front of anyone. I returned to the plate and finished the ballgame. I couldn't help but notice the smile on my partners face throughout the rest of the ballgame. After the game I saw a light bruise and felt a hard painful lump on my chest. It only hurt when I touched it, but that lasted about two weeks.

I still cannot beleive how some umpire's will not protect their throats with an additional $5 throatguard, nor their collarbones with a hard-shell CP. I have witnessed these injuries and I don't need to be reminded that they occur on numerous ocassions throughout the season.

SAFETY FIRST
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

I use my honigs for the lower level games behind my WV. I do have 2 in case one gets damaged at the game.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Look at it this way; I know police officers that wear their kevlar when they work desk jobs. It only takes one shot to hurt (or kill) you.

Don't be worried about wearing a WV to a 10U game, they ball still hurts and junior can't catch as well as those above him. Nothing looks more ridiculous than an umpire who has to call 911 because he wasn't prepared. Broken collar bones and sternums and seasons.