The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 04, 2005, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56

Can someone please explain to me the reason the out call is delayed in NCAA play on coaches interference. I'm not asking about the delayed dead ball, just the logic behind waiting to make the verbal announcement on the out.

I have to believe this puts the defense at a disadvantage. If they make a play on a runner who is already out.

Tim.
Old Sun Dec 04, 2005, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigUmp56

Can someone please explain to me the reason the out call is delayed in NCAA play on coaches interference. I'm not asking about the delayed dead ball, just the logic behind waiting to make the verbal announcement on the out.

I have to believe this puts the defense at a disadvantage. If they make a play on a runner who is already out.

Tim.
Hmmm... The ball is delayed dead, so outs can be made on other runners. But why should I wait to call an out on coaches interference? I'm not calling the ball dead, just calling an out.

Why is this an NCAA question?

Old Sun Dec 04, 2005, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Hmmm... The ball is delayed dead, so outs can be made on other runners. But why should I wait to call an out on coaches interference? I'm not calling the ball dead, just calling an out.
Because that is what the rule states.
Old Sun Dec 04, 2005, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
What rule?
Old Sun Dec 04, 2005, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

3-3e Penalty.
Old Sun Dec 04, 2005, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
What rule?
Luke has the right rule. It still makes no sense to me why the out call would be delayed.

NCAA:

3-3

e. A base coach may not physically assist a runner in returning to or leaving the base.
f. A base coach may not leave the box or act in a manner to draw a throw by a fielder or distract the pitcher.

PENALTY for e. and f.—A delayed dead ball shall be called. At the conclusion of the play, the assisted runner shall be declared out.

Tim.
Old Sun Dec 04, 2005, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

It is basically the same in Fed; 5-1-2f allows for a delayed dead ball and the player is called out when the umpire calls "Time". I thought we already covered this before.

The runners must return to the bases they occupied at the time of the infraction.

Imagine a shot down the right field line with the bases loaded. R3 assumes that it will be caught and is holding tight. R2 and R1 have better angles and are starting to break when the ball one hops the right fielder. R3 slips on the ground and goes down - hard! R2 is fast approaching the base and R1 is coming up on second. The coach sees what is going to happen and grabs Junior's jersey, helps him up and implores him to head home. We allow the play to continue because R2 and R1 can be thrown out as they attempt to advance. In fact, R2 is gunned down at the plate and the B/R is thrown out trying to stretch his hit while the throw went to the dish - triple play and we earned a post game beverage.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
It is basically the same in Fed; 5-1-2f allows for a delayed dead ball and the player is called out when the umpire calls "Time". I thought we already covered this before.

Yes, this has been covered before, but most of the coverage occurred during a minor flame war, and it didn't seem worthwhile or productive to comment at that time.

In fact, Fed and NCAA rules are different. Fed 5-1-2f simply states only that coach's interference results in a delayed dead ball. No infraction, penalty or out is necessarily implied because of a delayed dead ball or 5-1-2f, but Fed rule 3-2-2 does prohibit coach's interference, and it spells out the penalty: the involved runner or B/R is out.
Furthermore, the Case Book 3.2.2 states the runner is called out immediately because of his coach's interference. Note that other interference situations may be handled differently, e.g. batter interference.

Dave Reed
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 02:45am
Official Forum Member

Thank you, Dave and WWTB.

I wasn't questioning the wording of the rule. What I was questioning was why the out is announced at the conclusion of the play under NCAA rules.

Here's an example of a potential play that comes to mind:

R2, B1 singles to right center. As R2 rounds third he slips and is assisted by the third base coach. He continues toward home. F4 cuts of the throw while BR is advancing toward second. F4 seeing R2 near the plate decides to play on him, allowing BR to obtain second uncontested.

Now, F4 has just attemted to put out a runner who was already called out with a verbal announcement if this were a FED game.
This would then be his fault. The runner had already been called out. No problem here.

The problem I'm having understanding the NCAA ruling would a be the timing of the verbal announcement of the out.
If the announcement is not made at the time of the infraction, then the defense may or may not know that if they make a play on R2, they're playing on a runner who is going to be called out regardless. The only indication they would have would be the delayed dead ball signal by a memeber of the crew. In my opinion, this puts the defense at a disadvantage. They could have had a DP here had they known to make a play on the BR, instead of trying to cut the run off at the plate.

Tim.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 02:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Reed
Quote:

Yes, this has been covered before, but most of the coverage occurred during a minor flame war, and it didn't seem worthwhile or productive to comment at that time.

In fact, Fed and NCAA rules are different. Fed 5-1-2f simply states only that coach's interference results in a delayed dead ball. No infraction, penalty or out is necessarily implied because of a delayed dead ball or 5-1-2f, but Fed rule 3-2-2 does prohibit coach's interference, and it spells out the penalty: the involved runner or B/R is out.
Furthermore, the Case Book 3.2.2 states the runner is called out immediately because of his coach's interference. Note that other interference situations may be handled differently, e.g. batter interference.

Dave Reed
Page 37: Activity 10 - Read the sentence and then let your eyes travel right to the awards or penalties list.

It seems pretty clear that if a coach assists a runner in Fed baseball, the penalty is that the involved batter or runner is out. Outs on the play stand and other runners are returned to the bases they occupied at the time of the infraction. But that's just the way I read it. How did you read 5-1-2f?

BU56 - As I stated earlier, the out is called at the end of NCAA and Fed action!
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Dave Reed

BU56 - As I stated earlier, the out is called at the end of NCAA and Fed action!

WWTB,

There's no need to shout. The runner is not called out at the end of the playing action in FED. He's to be called out immediately. This is a delayed dead ball in both NCAA and FED rule codes, but the timing of the out call is different in NCAA. That's why I'm asking the question why the timing on the out call is delayed in NCAA play. You're the NCAA umpire, so explain to me how this doesn't put the defense at a disadvantage with multiple runners.

Tim.

[Edited by BigUmp56 on Dec 5th, 2005 at 02:20 PM]
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

I was not shouting, but I don't think that you get it at all.

In Fed, the runner is not called out immediately. IT IS A DELAYED DEAD BALL. That means that we wait until playing action ceases and then call 'Time'. We may then invoke the penalty, if necessary. I say, if necessary, because if the coach helps the player, but the player is thrown out at the plate, it doesn't matter.

In NCAA, we have the same thing. We wait until the playing action is over, call 'Time' and then enforce any applicable penalties.

As I said, we covered this a week ago and I gave you the answer just a day ago. They are basically the same. I don't think you grasp the concept of delayed ded ball or we wouldn't be having this discussion.

The Case Book (3-2-2b) is in error, as Carl and I have said already.

The Rule Book, 3-2-2 and 5-1-2f are in agreement. When explaining a rule, I prefer to back things with the Rule Book. The Case Book is like the "Umpring for Dummies" series. Yes, it helps explain things, but I have never said 'Coach, it's right there in the CASE book.'
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Why would you announce "Obstruction" and signal it with regards to the play we are discussing?

It is now clear that you don't know much about umpiring. Please return to your reviews of equipment.

Tim,
As I said earlier (yes, again)...who cares if the defense makes a play on them? You should only be concerned with enforcing the penalty and not alerting the defense. The penalty is very clear in the Rule Book.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Oh my...the one who can post every four minutes won't respond to a challenge to his umpiring prowess. That does seem strange.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Re: Discussing Obstruction - Where's Your Head?

Quote:
Originally posted by thomaswhite
Quote:
Why would you announce "Obstruction" and signal it with regards to the play we are discussing?

Because that is what you do when obstruction ocurs? Where did you miss the the conversation, that you started by shouting at BigUmp, about DELAYED DEAD BALLs?
Yes, that is what you do when obstruction occurs.

However, there was no obstruction in the play in this thread -- there was Coach's Interference. In FED, you're still supposed to signal the delayed dead ball, and while I would indicate the reason for the signal, I wouldn't indicate it with the word "Obstruction."