View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 02:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Reed
Quote:
Originally posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
It is basically the same in Fed; 5-1-2f allows for a delayed dead ball and the player is called out when the umpire calls "Time". I thought we already covered this before.

Yes, this has been covered before, but most of the coverage occurred during a minor flame war, and it didn't seem worthwhile or productive to comment at that time.

In fact, Fed and NCAA rules are different. Fed 5-1-2f simply states only that coach's interference results in a delayed dead ball. No infraction, penalty or out is necessarily implied because of a delayed dead ball or 5-1-2f, but Fed rule 3-2-2 does prohibit coach's interference, and it spells out the penalty: the involved runner or B/R is out.
Furthermore, the Case Book 3.2.2 states the runner is called out immediately because of his coach's interference. Note that other interference situations may be handled differently, e.g. batter interference.

Dave Reed
Page 37: Activity 10 - Read the sentence and then let your eyes travel right to the awards or penalties list.

It seems pretty clear that if a coach assists a runner in Fed baseball, the penalty is that the involved batter or runner is out. Outs on the play stand and other runners are returned to the bases they occupied at the time of the infraction. But that's just the way I read it. How did you read 5-1-2f?

BU56 - As I stated earlier, the out is called at the end of NCAA and Fed action!