The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

I agree with most on here that players and managers should be ejected for cursing at umpires, but what is the punishment for the umpires using the same words toward managers or players?

Some of the arguments that I see involve just as much or even more colorful language from the umpires.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 03:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by harmbu
I agree with most on here that players and managers should be ejected for cursing at umpires, but what is the punishment for the umpires using the same words toward managers or players?

Some of the arguments that I see involve just as much or even more colorful language from the umpires.
Do you have an example?

I think it would depend on the level. I do not think anyone has said that Edmonds or LaRussa were ejected just because of their language, I think they were referring to what they were called. Edmonds called Cuzzi a name, it does not matter if a curse word was used or not. At least it does not to me. I think it also matters what level we are talking about. The Major Leagues is quite different than LL.

In my state at the HS level if any umpire/official can be written up for their actions. So at least in my state there are possible repercussions of the actions of an umpire/official if they use inappropriate language. I am sure anyone could contact an assignor or a league if an umpire/official used curse words as well.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I would never suggest that any amateur umpire use any of the "seven words you can't say on radio" in any manner in any game or contest.

In the pro game, as certain videos have shown, it's accepted, if not expected. What matters is how that word is directed.

Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Cool

With the exception of MLB umpires, I feel that there is never a time that we as officials should act that unprofessionally and respond with profane comments.

In the two associations I belong to, you would be immediately sanctioned if an allegation about the use of profane language was substanstiated.

If a coach swears at you, dump him fast and hard!

There is no need to respond in kind to his bull&h1t. If you do, you just lose respect as an official.

Tim.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 05:17pm

Wink

I never pay the least slight attention to coaches yelling from the dugout or from the coaching boxes In fact, I have never had an ejection. I know that they can get emotional, and I give them a few seconds to calm down. Of course, I haven't had one go over the edge verbally. There were a few I could have ejected for their actions.

In fact, I've done this a few times to bench jockeys when I feel they have crossed the line.

I call time. Walk over to the dugout. I say calmly, "It ends right now or I'm going to eject the person I think is responsible. You might want to want to get somebody ready in the bullpen". Not that I would do that of course, but it really quites them down a lot.

Another method I have used when I have a coach yelling from the dugout. I stop, take off my mask, step in front of home plate, and tell the coach, "You'll have to yell a lot louder please, I'm hard of hearing, and I don't read lips." Then I brush the plate with my rear end facing their dugout. It let's them know they won't be getting anywhere with that today.

Anyway, I'm in my happy place when I'm on a ballfield. I refuse to let somebody ruin it for me and everybody else out there. There will probably be alot of people out there that don't agree with me. However, I haven't had any complaints that I know of. The coaches that know me best, know that at least they have an umpire out there that will hustle, and is not too vain to try to get the call right.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Seven words you can't say on TV

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

I would never suggest that any amateur umpire use any of the "seven words you can't say on radio" in any manner in any game or contest.

In the pro game, as certain videos have shown, it's accepted, if not expected. What matters is how that word is directed.

It's TV, not radio...and the list is down to six, because if I remember right, one of the words was suck. If you run anyone in 2005 because they say "that call sucked," well...

Meanwhile, those others depend totally on the context...generally, if it's preceeded by a "you," I'm locked and loaded and ready to run somebody...
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PWL
I never pay the least slight attention to coaches yelling from the dugout or from the coaching boxes In fact, I have never had an ejection. I know that they can get emotional, and I give them a few seconds to calm down. Of course, I haven't had one go over the edge verbally. There were a few I could have ejected for their actions.

In fact, I've done this a few times to bench jockeys when I feel they have crossed the line.

I call time. Walk over to the dugout. I say calmly, "It ends right now or I'm going to eject the person I think is responsible. You might want to want to get somebody ready in the bullpen". Not that I would do that of course, but it really quites them down a lot.

Another method I have used when I have a coach yelling from the dugout. I stop, take off my mask, step in front of home plate, and tell the coach, "You'll have to yell a lot louder please, I'm hard of hearing, and I don't read lips." Then I brush the plate with my rear end facing their dugout. It let's them know they won't be getting anywhere with that today.

Anyway, I'm in my happy place when I'm on a ballfield. I refuse to let somebody ruin it for me and everybody else out there. There will probably be alot of people out there that don't agree with me. However, I haven't had any complaints that I know of. The coaches that know me best, know that at least they have an umpire out there that will hustle, and is not too vain to try to get the call right.
Lets all join hands and prepare for a group hug. Cum by Ah, my lord, Cum by Ah. All together now.

Hey blue,could you kindly move your "rear," I can't see home plate. Thank you Blue. Gag#@$$#$$$burp@#$%^&*
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 10:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: Seven words you can't say on TV

Quote:
Originally posted by bkbjones
Quote:
Quote:

It's TV, not radio...and the list is down to six, because if I remember right, one of the words was suck. If you run anyone in 2005 because they say "that call sucked," well...

Meanwhile, those others depend totally on the context...generally, if it's preceeded by a "you," I'm locked and loaded and ready to run somebody...
Suck is not one of the seven dirty words, but is a part of one of them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 12:21am

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
Quote:
Originally posted by PWL

Lets all join hands and prepare for a group hug. Cum by Ah, my lord, Cum by Ah. All together now.

Hey blue,could you kindly move your "rear," I can't see home plate. Thank you Blue. Gag#@$$#$$$burp@#$%^&*
Could I get a translator? I don't understand gibberish.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 04:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
Quote:
Originally posted by PWL

jicecone,

I also picked up right away that he sweeps the plate with his "rear end."

Your tongue firmly planted in cheek comment did not go unapreciated by me!

Tim.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 05:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

First off, forget MLB. Things are a lot different there. Managers cuss umpires and the umpires cuss right back. This is not a side job or a weekend thing. This is where they earn their living and arguments are part of the “show”. The other thing to keep in mind is in MLB, you are dealing with adults all around. So don't try to compare the weekend, youth or LL umpire to MLB umpires!

We amateur umpires deal with youth in one form or another. We are supposed to be setting an example as responsible adults. The funny thing is that when umpires break the rules, who throws them out?

So if the umpire starts cussing who deals with him? It is up to his league, his association or the tournament director.

What is the penalty? That is up to the governing individuals. In my association, there is progressive discipline in place for instances like this.

Another thing to consider is when you move up in age and level, you will tend to tolerate things differently. An 11 year old saying “BS!” to your called strike 3 may earn a seat on the bench for the duration. A 25 year old simply earns a smile from behind the mask with a hearty “Thank you” from me.

Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Seven words you can't say on TV

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by bkbjones
Quote:
Quote:

Suck is not one of the seven dirty words, but is a part of one of them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words
You are correct. In fact, one of the regulars was kind enough to send me a .wav of Mr. Carlin.

Put a "You" in front of any of them and I have to do an ejection report.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PWL
Then I brush the plate with my rear end
I agree....that if I were a rat, seeing this would shut my mouth real quick
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 01:17pm
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Originally posted by PWL

Oh, my.... shocking! Not the "brushing the plate with my rear end", but the "I have never had an ejection". Oh, my...
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 01:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by JJ
Quote:
Originally posted by PWL

Oh, my.... shocking! Not the "brushing the plate with my rear end", but the "I have never had an ejection". Oh, my...
I'd love to be a coach with him working.
Closed Thread