The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 19, 2001, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BenGilli
Angry

I had a very poor outing the other day. I had the plate for a JV baseball game. Firts time behind the plate this year.. Lets just say that I think it was the worst performance I have ever had as an umpire. My question is.. how does one during a game, when they know their best stuff insnt there,adjust and make the best out of this bad situation, and then for the next game, how does one get over their bad performance, and come out on top again
Old Thu Apr 19, 2001, 12:45am
Do not give a damn!!

Why?

Why did you feel you had a bad day. Were you missing pitches, or where you missing calls, like catches or rule interpretations. If you tell us the problem, it might be easier to help.

BTW, we all have them, you just have to "get back on the horse" if you will.

Quote:
Originally posted by BenGilli
I had a very poor outing the other day. I had the plate for a JV baseball game. Firts time behind the plate this year.. Lets just say that I think it was the worst performance I have ever had as an umpire. My question is.. how does one during a game, when they know their best stuff insnt there,adjust and make the best out of this bad situation, and then for the next game, how does one get over their bad performance, and come out on top again
Old Thu Apr 19, 2001, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BenGilli
My rule interp's and calls were fine.. actually had an obstruction call at second on a attempted double play, where the runner took out the shortstop well beyond the bag.. anyways.. my strike zone was the pits.. very inconsistant.. just couldn't get into the swing of things.. thanks for your reply!
Old Thu Apr 19, 2001, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

We all have days like this and here's what I try and do.
take a deep breath and start over remember every thing is a strike till it proves different.Slow down and take more time watching the ball all the way in the glove.Talk to yourself and pretend its top of the first new batter lets rock and roll. Remember your an athelete to but you have to be your own coach and supporter when you blow one.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2001, 05:35am
Get away from me, Steve.

Timing?

If this was your first plate of the year, you may not have had good timing.

Good timing (watching each pitch into the glove, delaying your call so that you can make a judgement based on the entire pitch, including the catcher's presentation) will eliminate many of the inconsistencies you may have behind the plate.

One thing I have always done (except this year, BTW), is try to see some pitches from a machine before working my first game. Also I will practice getting into my stance, then waiting, pretending a ball has been caught, using the proper timing, then coming up and calling the strike (or staying down and calling a ball).

On that note, do you verbalize balls as well as strikes? This is important in establishing a routine and good timing.

If you slow down (nobody's going anywhere -- you have plenty of time), you'll probably eliminate much of your problem.

Rich
Old Thu Apr 19, 2001, 06:06am
Official Forum Member

Call Strikes

I agree with Rich F -- slow down your timing. Remember the basics such as following the ball into the glove, geeting a good look, and then pausing before you call.

I have a good friend (college D1 guy) who tells our training classes of the day he had the same problem. He called his assigner that night and the assigner told him to call strikes -- unless something convinces you otherwise, the pitch is a strike. Give it a try.

As Rich F said, "Get back on the horse."

Best
Old Thu Apr 19, 2001, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Everybody has a bad day. The thing to do is learn from it. The first game of the season behind the dish is difficult.

As Rich stated, umpires need to get their timing down. It's no different than ballplayers trying to get their timing down. One thing that might help in the future is to umpire some scrimmage games before the season starts so you can work on your timing.

Do not let one game drag you down or it will play on your mind the rest of the season. You performed a good evaluation on yourself, so learn from it. Also, ask your partner for some constructive feedback as to what pitches you were having the most trouble with. Were you staying down long enough or coming up too quickly?

As they say Live and Learn

Good luck!

Pete Booth

Old Thu Apr 19, 2001, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

The only thing I'd add to Rich & the others saying slow down is when you slow down, concentrate on the fundamentals of what you are doing. Now that this game is over, try some work in front of a mirror.

Steve M
Old Thu Apr 19, 2001, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Bad Days, Timing, and Fundamentals

I had the wonderful opportunity of being at a Gerry Davis clinic early in my career. At that clinic, during cage work, he used the phrase you "you don't have bad judgement you're using your judgement at the wrong time" with those with bad timing.

I have also been fortunate enough to have attended Evans. There, Evans said "timing is proper use of eyes."

Putting these together I have come up with this "timing is not a function of time." If you are tracking the ball all the way into the catcher's mitt, timing will take care of itself. Physiologically it takes time to respond to a stimulus. So, if you are tracking the ball all the way to the mitt and making your decision then, I don't think you can have bad "timing."

If your "timing" is quick it is because you are not seeing the ball all the way into the mitt. This may be because you have tunnel vision, that is, you are not tracking the ball. Or it may be because you can't see the ball all the way into the mitt. This may because you are working too low or not far enough into the slot.

Either way bad timing is because you are not tracking the ball. So if your "timing" is inconsistent go back to the basics: slot position, head height, and tracking.

Old Thu Apr 19, 2001, 12:09pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb For the Elastic zone.

Quote:
My rule interp's and calls were fine.. actually had an obstruction call at second on a attempted double play, where the runner took out the shortstop well beyond the bag.. anyways.. my strike zone was the pits.. very inconsistant.. just couldn't get into the swing of things.. thanks for your reply!
Ben,
Yup. Get yer timing (as mentioned)
And these can work, too.
Drop to a knee (if you have to in order to stabilize the zone for an inning, or so) An unforunate drawback is the dirt on those pants.
If you wonder about it... it's a strike.
mick
Old Thu Apr 19, 2001, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

"actually had an obstruction call at second on a attempted double play, where the runner took out the shortstop well beyond the bag.."

Sounds more like INTERFERENCE, than obstruction.

Bob
Old Thu Apr 19, 2001, 12:15pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
"actually had an obstruction call at second on a attempted double play, where the runner took out the shortstop well beyond the bag.."

Sounds more like INTERFERENCE, than obstruction.

Bob
Nice Catch, Bob.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2001, 01:38pm
Veteran College Umpire

In addition to looking at some pitches before the games begin, I have found it helpful to pop in a video of an old game and call the pitches along with the tv. It helps the timing, and you can work on the mechanics of your platework in the comfort of your living room. It also tones the necessary muscles - if they aren't in shape your game will suffer after 5 innings of work. It's fun, too - my hollering "STRIKE!" scares the cat.

Old Thu Apr 19, 2001, 02:17pm
Michael Taylor

I had a game like that one day. My zone was very inconsistant, And I'm standing back there telling myself how bad I was. When my partner and I walked off the field I was lamenting how bad I thought I had done. He was my menter in our high school group, and he said he had to agree. The good thing was I knew I was bad and that's half the battle. Learn from it and figure out what's wrong.

Another guy told me when he is struggling he puts his counter away and keeps counts in his head. He said it made him concentrate more. I don't know that I would try that one as it's a good way to get in a mess.

My best advice is leave it on the last field. New game is a new game. Have a good rest of the season.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2001, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BenGilli
[B]My rule interp's and calls were fine.. actually had an obstruction call at second on a attempted double play, where the runner took out the shortstop well beyond the bag..

This might be a problem, isn't that an interference call, not obstruction. (Ha Ha) Just one of those days. Forget it and move on.