The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 29, 2005, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

personally, I prefer, "its for the hot dog." Can we use that instead?

jcione (sp?) nailed it. If LL truly were a shoestring org and could do no better, that would be one thing. But they make serious coin from the "ESPN-ization" of a sport that was formerly "for the kids," and still run the umpire side as if it were the 19th Century. I guess LL will continue to take adv of gullible, TV-seeking umpires as long as they can, but the officiating will continue to suffer as a result.

[Edited by LMan on Aug 29th, 2005 at 09:02 AM]
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Where there's money there's corruption. Does that come as a surprise? And yes, I agree that some coaches barter to get their child on an All-Star team that don't belong but that doesn't make the organization as a whole bad. That's like saying the flying industry is bad because a few planes go down. There may be corruption in any industry, especially at the top.

If all those people aren't out there "for the kids" then why are they out there????????
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

It's not quite true to say that money necessitates corruption. Institutions grow up to protect practices. Institutions bring in the money to do that.

Bringing in money also risks bringing in people who don't care so much about the practices and the special qualities that the institutions were designed to protect. When such people take over, the institutions become corrupt, aiming more at the money than at whatever was good about the original practices.

I am not saying that LL, churches, the US government, or any other institution is corrupt, just describing how it might happen.