The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 26, 2005, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Ya know, every year these 100+ post threads always come up about how poor the umps are at the LLWS. Then it gets personal, usually from T to Rich to Ozzy, etc. etc. etc.

What was it I heard, over 3 million kids play LL each year. That's pretty good for a crappy organization.

Before I moved to AZ I was the scheduler for PONY & H.S. summer ball back in IL. In the park there were 4 diamonds...1 for H.S., 1 for PONY and the other 2 were for Major League. (They all faced outward from each other.) Eventually, the LL prez. approached me to see if I would schedule my umps to do their games. They were fully prepared to pay what we were getting at the other 2 levels.

My point is that I really enjoyed umping those games for 2 main reasons. The parents and coaches were extremely appreciative of 2 things....that they had better quality officiating AND that we helped the kids with basic mechanics, especially pitching. Maybe that's not the norm in some areas but we umped in a small community and for that I really miss it.

I have umped with guys who rung up players swinging at strike three. I can't think of anything that looks more ridiculous than calling the obvious. But for those of you who hate LL then don't watch. I watch it every year when I can and not for the umpiring but for the kids. That's the most important thing.
Old Fri Aug 26, 2005, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spots101
What was it I heard, over 3 million kids play LL each year. That's pretty good for a crappy organization.
The organization itself isn't bad- the postseason umpiring leaves a little to be desired though.
Old Sat Aug 27, 2005, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

"Its for the Kids"

Quote:
Ya know, every year these 100+ post threads always come up about how poor the umps are at the LLWS. Then it gets personal, usually from T to Rich to Ozzy, etc. etc. etc.

Before I moved to AZ I was the scheduler for PONY & H.S. summer ball back in IL. In the park there were 4 diamonds...1 for H.S., 1 for PONY and the other 2 were for Major League. (They all faced outward from each other.) Eventually, the LL prez. approached me to see if I would schedule my umps to do their games. They were fully prepared to pay what we were getting at the other 2 levels.

My point is that I really enjoyed umping those games for 2 main reasons. The parents and coaches were extremely appreciative of 2 things....that they had better quality officiating AND that we helped the kids with basic mechanics, especially pitching. Maybe that's not the norm in some areas but we umped in a small community and for that I really miss it.

I have umped with guys who rung up players swinging at strike three. I can't think of anything that looks more ridiculous than calling the obvious. But for those of you who hate LL then don't watch. I watch it every year when I can and not for the umpiring but for the kids. That's the most important thing.
Sorry but I get tired of everyone putting the same stamp on youth league sports.

Everyone from LL, Dixie, Pony, Babe Ruth, Cal Ripken, and I'm sure there are many many others just in baseball and then you have football and basketball leagues that are just as competative - and they all say the same thing ...

its for the kids

I'm sorry to rebutt but I started umpiring when I was 14 years old. They needed umpires for the inaugural T-ball leagues - this was back in 1974.

NOw, I'm sure it helped the kids to have an umpire (I was the only one) but I started learning rules and started getting experience etc., but I did it because they paid me to do it.

Now 31 years later, I love to umpire baseball, I love to be around the kids, (now I have fellow umpires who played T-ball in that first league), but I still umpire because they pay me to umpire.

LL might pride itself for volunteer umpires, but they have some serious shortfalls when it comes to their tournaments, not only umpires and from what I've read teams that qualify for their tournaments.

It doesn't take long to watch just a little of the LL on TV to see that, and having been associated with baseball as long as I have to know there are tremendous politics involved in the final product that is showcased for much much $$$$$.

Thanks
David

[Edited by David B on Aug 27th, 2005 at 10:28 AM]
Old Sun Aug 28, 2005, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

I can't argue with the fact that I and probably most everyone else does it for the money...but that doesn't mean it still can't be for the kids, at least at the lower levels where the kids can still be taught.

I guess I need to be a little more blunt.

After reading all these posts about how better most of you are than LL umps and how critical most of you are of them I can't help but to compare you to the coach that stands back behind the dugout talking to the assistant coach complaining about how terrible the ump is and how he can't believe he would call that or how lousy his strike zone is.

I have to ask you the same question I asked the coach. If you think you can do a better job then get out there and do it. Because all this complaining you are doing tells me that you can do a better job than that ump.

If any of you can, which I'm sure some of you can, do a better job than those LL umps then make it better by doing SOMETHING instead of just getting up from watching ESPN, going to your computer and complaining about...oh I don't know, let's say....adjustable hats. There's nothing constructive about it. All of the energy on this site is going to this when it should be going to rules interpretation, etc. And you complain about sleazeteam.
Old Sun Aug 28, 2005, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
After reading all these posts about how better most of you are than LL umps and how critical most of you are of them I can't help but to compare you to the coach that stands back behind the dugout talking to the assistant coach complaining about how terrible the ump is and how he can't believe he would call that or how lousy his strike zone is.

I have to ask you the same question I asked the coach. If you think you can do a better job then get out there and do it. Because all this complaining you are doing tells me that you can do a better job than that ump.
Pretty much every person who posts here does get out and do it.

Quote:
If any of you can, which I'm sure some of you can, do a better job than those LL umps then make it better by doing SOMETHING instead of just getting up from watching ESPN, going to your computer and complaining about...oh I don't know, let's say....adjustable hats. There's nothing constructive about it. All of the energy on this site is going to this when it should be going to rules interpretation, etc. And you complain about sleazeteam.
What are we supposed to do? Seriously, what can I do to make the LLWS umpries better?
Old Sun Aug 28, 2005, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Having a dime sized strike zone isnt a bad rules interpretation. Neither is missing an obvious home run.
Old Sun Aug 28, 2005, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

If you seriously can't find anything to do then what do you think complaining about it will do....make you feel superior?

Have you ever missed anything during a game? If you haven't and never will then you have every right to complain.

And let's not overexaggerate about an officials ability (or lack there of) about a dime-sized strike zone because you sound just like the rats you all hate so much. Seriously, haven't you all heard those types of complaints from coaches in the past?
Old Sun Aug 28, 2005, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

In this case it's true.
Old Sun Aug 28, 2005, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Hopefully ...

Quote:
I can't argue with the fact that I and probably most everyone else does it for the money...but that doesn't mean it still can't be for the kids, at least at the lower levels where the kids can still be taught.

I guess I need to be a little more blunt.

There are some involved with LL that might could make a difference that might read a little of this.

Years ago we had a similiar problem in our state with Dixie umpires - we made a difference and this year at least there were very good umpires at the World Series.

So we're not coaches that are standing around complaining, we're umpires who know the system and know that it could be better.

But we're also realistic enought to know its not going to change anytime soon.

Thanks
David
Old Sun Aug 28, 2005, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Hey lets put the blame right where it lies. Little League

The make buko bucks on this event every year and then have the gall to say look at all we have done, but we can't afford to pay for better officiating. So they get exactly what they deserve because they know there are suckers out there every year that will work for nothing just to get on TV.

That shows me that they can care less about the officiating and will get by with the freebies as long as possible. They are no different than a Walmart that treats their management staff as kings at the expense of some of the lowest paid employees in the country.

LL gets exactly what they deserve and that includes the officials. When they show a litte more respect for us , then we will return the favor. Until then, I guess any blue in the storm will suffice.

And were not exaggerating about the strike zone, it was dime sized and that dime was all over the place.
Old Sun Aug 28, 2005, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Have you ever missed anything during a game? If you haven't and never will then you have every right to complain.
There is a difference between missing a call and being incompetent. Incompetent umpires make many mistakes, they have bad timing and such.

Quote:
And let's not overexaggerate about an officials ability (or lack there of) about a dime-sized strike zone because you sound just like the rats you all hate so much. Seriously, haven't you all heard those types of complaints from coaches in the past?
The rat is complaining about the strike zone because he wants his team to win. He thinks the umpire is hurting his team's chances to win.

People on this site don't care who wins. They complain because the PU is bad.
Old Sun Aug 28, 2005, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

One more thing ...

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Quote:
There is a difference between missing a call and being incompetent. Incompetent umpires make many mistakes, they have bad timing and such.

Quote:
The rat is complaining about the strike zone because he wants his team to win. He thinks the umpire is hurting his team's chances to win.

People on this site don't care who wins. They complain because the PU is bad.
And just to add, that since the umpires are "doing it for the Kids",

then what do you say to the kid who has him HR taken away because the umpire didn't know the rule.

And what about the pitcher who throws at least 10 almost perfect strikes that aren't called. Is that fair to the kid? Not at all.

So as stated LL created the problem and they are the only ones who can fix it, just don't give me all that mess about how its "all for the kids" because its not.

Thanks
David
Old Sun Aug 28, 2005, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Re: One more thing ...

Quote:
Originally posted by David B
And just to add, that since the umpires are "doing it for the Kids",

then what do you say to the kid who has him HR taken away because the umpire didn't know the rule.

And what about the pitcher who throws at least 10 almost perfect strikes that aren't called. Is that fair to the kid? Not at all.

So as stated LL created the problem and they are the only ones who can fix it, just don't give me all that mess about how its "all for the kids" because its not.

Thanks
David [/B]
I honestly think LL IS for the kids- in the leagues I work, I haven't seen differently. In the LLWS, however, when $$$$ gets much bigger.....well, we saw what happened.

Congrats to Hawaii.
Old Mon Aug 29, 2005, 05:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Wah, wah, wah! It's for the kids! Is that all you people can resort to?

Listen, most of us who bash (as you people put it) LL are talking about the umpires. Yes, the volunteers, the trainees, the "weekenders" or what ever you want to call them. There is no excuse for what we saw this year in the LLWS! The "best" kids were playing and they deserve to be officiated by the best Umpires. Not the hacks that LL assigned there.

I make the claim that LL sucks because I've been on the inside years ago. I saw the BS played by the locals during "all star" season. I've seen the BS pulled by the Regionals and I know for a fact that many kids are left behind that should be there. I've watched too many times good players left aside so that Rat's sons who can't even catch a ball get on the teams. I've seen kids who brought teams all the way to the Regionals and were unable to continue be punished the following year by not being allowed to be on the "all star team". I've seen pitchers that literally won games by themselves put on "B" teams in All Star seasons. Yeah, it's for the kids - Bull $hit!

So if you don't like my rants tough! At least I have valid reasons for what I say. Now I am through with this crap and hope to not answer any more LL BS, crapity crap questions on this or any other board. That should make all of your LL wienies very happy!

Little League Sucks!
Old Mon Aug 29, 2005, 06:31am
Official Forum Member

"It's for the kids."

Empty and meaningless. Same as "support the troops." Do you support them by keeping them where they are and giving them what they need to be effective, or by bringing them home?