The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

"This suggests that maybe you guys didn't have a very comprehensive pre-game conference. You might want to look into whether you are having adequate pre-game conferences or not."

I agree, a pregame conference is necessary but, I have never discussed with ANYONE, that if I point to you, you are suppose to make my call for me. Sorry, thats a new one, which I doubt has NEVER come up in a pregame.
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
I agree, a pregame conference is necessary but, I have never discussed with ANYONE, that if I point to you, you are suppose to make my call for me. Sorry, thats a new one, which I doubt has NEVER come up in a pregame.
jicecone,

I agree...neither have I...and I think I made clear what I would do if that happened to me. However, if I was working with this particular base umpire and he and I had a pre-game conference, when he told me "I'll point to you when I need help at a call at first", I would have said, "no you won't"...and we would have worked it out then, instead of on the field during the game.
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lawump
Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
jicecone,

I agree...neither have I...and I think I made clear what I would do if that happened to me. However, if I was working with this particular base umpire and he and I had a pre-game conference, when he told me "I'll point to you when I need help at a call at first", I would have said, "no you won't"...and we would have worked it out then, instead of on the field during the game.
I'm with you.
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

jicecone,

how would you have handled it in your pre-game?
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ggk
jicecone,

how would you have handled it in your pre-game?
I would have said, "wait a minute here, if you want me to make your calls, then go home right now and I will handle the game. Now, if you feel as though you are lacking information to make the correct call and you need input, either now or later then we can discuss it and YOU, will make the call. Also, this will NOT BE an established norm for each call. You will still be expected to make your own calls and hustle."

Sounds kind of blunt but, thats life. Then again, in 20yrs I have NEVER had this come up. YET
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

[/B][/QUOTE]Sounds kind of blunt but, thats life. Then again, in 20yrs I have NEVER had this come up. YET [/B][/QUOTE]

I've never had it come up in a pre-game conference either...However, I have had umpires come to me for help on plays at first base when they shouldn't have needed to...which was really the "rant" behind my first post in this thread.

There are just too many umpires, in my opinion, worried about getting help on force plays at first (even though they might not express it in a pre-game meeting). I think they are worried because they have experienced numerous plays where they don't get a good look at the play at first. I think they don't get a good look because too many have poor mechanics (for example, moving toward first base from "B" or "C" instead of toward the 45-foot line; not adjusting to see a swipe tag when you read that the throw from the fielder to first base is "not true").

(In truth nothing, and I mean nothing, gets under my skin more than a base umpire asking me for help on a play at first when there were no runners on base...but I digress).

In my opinion as a person who has been an instructor at numerous clinics in Charleston, Columbia and Charlotte in the Carolinas the biggest mechanic flaw I see on the bases is "chasing a play into the bag," instead of getting the proper angle. The other place I see this happen ALL THE TIME is on a 4-6-3 or 6-4-3 double-play where the base umpire moves toward the second base cut-out for the first play...and thus have no angle for the play at first.

I personally think we (whoever "we" may be) need to drill the concept of "angle over distance" into the heads of new or inexperienced umpires with the same vigor we drill the concept of "timing" into their heads.

Just my two-cent rant.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 01:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Re: jim

Quote:
Originally posted by 3appleshigh
I agree the ball is dead, but it is not interference. Is it interference in FED? or just a dead ball, it's kind of a symantic issue I know but I like to get my terminology correct and have been working on that this year.
Yep per rule 2-21-2

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.