LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 11, 2005, 12:44pm
I hate Illinois Nazis

Re: Hmmm,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
Rich wrote:

"I got brought up to respect one's elders . . . "

And Rich, therein lies a fundemental difference between us.

I was taught to respect those who EARN IT!
Do you then, by default, disrespect those who have not yet earned your respect?
Old Thu Aug 11, 2005, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Rich, I said I couldn't check the rule. You don't have to yell!

Yes, that is the ground rule double rule...

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Ives
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaliix
I would think that 7.05 (f) would be more applicable in this situation. The rule deals strictly with a fair ball that bounces or is deflected. Notice that the rule doesn't say the ball has to be batted, just fair. In your case, it would be a deflected ball. It is still a two base award.

I wish I had my J/R manual here to verify the rule, but I believe it to be correct.

7.05 (f) Two bases, if a fair ball bounces or is deflected into the stands outside the first or third base foul lines; or if it goes through or under a field fence, or through or under a scoreboard, or through or under shrubbery or vines on the fence; or if it sticks in such fence, scoreboard, shrubbery or vines;

That's about a BATTED ball.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Thu Aug 11, 2005, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

In checking with J/R, it seems that the key point is that the fielder has possession of the ball. If the fielder has possession and then the ball propelled into DBT, TOT is then determined to be when the player propelled the ball into DBT after he gained possession. He, in effect, threw the ball into DBT, unintentionally of course.

In any event, it is a two base award from TOT.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Thu Aug 11, 2005, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Ives
...I got brought up to respect one's elders...

[Edited by Rich Ives on Aug 11th, 2005 at 11:19 AM]
Great technique, still used today...with children. Often it translates into "speak not, unless spoken to."
Now that you are an adult, albeit a rat, you should be able to to differentiate between those that earn respect and those that don't. If not, I have lost any sort of respect I had for you.

Lapopez, it is obvious that you respect these guys. No problem, it seems that you understand your role in the pecking order. You might want to pull out a rule book and ask the question instead of paraphrasing it.

Geezsh, next thing I will hear is how we should hold hands with Al-Qeada and tell them we are sorry. In the words of Papa C, "Lah me!"

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Thu Aug 11, 2005, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

I was taught to respect those who EARN IT!

That makes for some questions.

Do you assume they deserve it until proven otherwise?

If not, until you've decided they earned it can you treat them like dirt?

How do you decide they've earned it?

What do you do if you later find that they were right and you were wrong?

How do you earn the respect of others?

Old Thu Aug 11, 2005, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

Intersting questions, but simple (too me):

Everyone in my book starts out at chapter One, paragraph one, sentence one and word one.

They are all equal and have a clean slate.

As I said no one "deserves" respect (example: some people would accord the sitting President respect because of the position -- others would disrespect the individual by perfomance or ideals) -- I would respect the postion but have to gain respect for the man.

I would hope that I would not treat people like "dirt" but I do have a certain "disdain" for all people on first blush.

People can earn respect in so many ways how the fuk could it be defined. I have learned to respect several internet umpires . . . I don't necessarily like them (only know their cyber role they play) but I respect them by performance.

I even respect a few coaches (managers).

As my mother taught me long ago:

"I'm not always right but I am never wrong!"

Respect has to do more with other items than right and wrong . . . while I can respect an umpire that misunderstands a rule or simply ignores a rule that is a different respect than I would give Pablo Picasso if I had met him.

I do not wory about gaining respect.

As an umpire I prepare well, practice hard, work dilligently to correct my weaknesses and hustle on every play (I never take a play off.). If that gains respect that is fine -- if it does not that is also fine.

Remember that I only umpire for power and money . . . this means I have only one person to satisfy and that is myself.
Old Thu Aug 11, 2005, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Now that you are an adult, albeit a rat, you should be able to to differentiate between those that earn respect and those that don't. If not, I have lost any sort of respect I had for you.

I can differentiate. The question/issue is

1) how you interact prior to the decision point and
2) how you treat people that don't earn it.

Also, lack of knowledge in one area doesn't necessarily translate into other areas, so respect for the same person can vary based on the subject at hand. You have to keep things in perspective and not place a blanket judgement on people based on one subject.

Being a rat doesn't mean I don't have a reasonably good grip on the rules. Several people here have a superior knowledge of the rules, which I respect and learn from, but it doesn't mean I'd invite them to a party.

I can't even spell calculus but I can put together a pretty good cost proposal.

I can respect Ricky Williams' ability as a running back or Randy Moss' ability as a receiver while, at the same time, thinking they're "just a bit" nutty.
Old Thu Aug 11, 2005, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

I'm surprised even an old curmudgeon tried to use a softball book to support a baseball interp...

But even worse - a softball book written in NINETEEN FRIGGIN EIGHTY THREE likely has as little to do with SOFTball as it does to baseball.

In 83, softball rules had to be written to fit EXTREMELY inexperienced players. The game is much more "baseballish" today than it was then, although they have definitely evolved separately and rules differ in many significant ways.
Old Thu Aug 11, 2005, 07:54pm
I hate Illinois Nazis

Quote:
Originally posted by jumpmaster

Lapopez, ...You might want to pull out a rule book and ask the question instead of paraphrasing it.

I am missing your point here. Do you mean here on this forum or when I am out with the guys? Out with the guys I feel like I am immediately putting them on the defensive when I bring out the rule book.
Old Thu Aug 11, 2005, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

So does that mean you can't make the tough call during a game?
Old Thu Aug 11, 2005, 08:35pm
I hate Illinois Nazis

Re: Hmmm,

Quote:
I don't see the correlation between not wanting to make my fellow umpires feel uncomfortable and making a "tough" (?) call during a game.
Old Thu Aug 11, 2005, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Hmmm,

Quote:
Originally posted by Lapopez
Quote:
I don't see the correlation between not wanting to make my fellow umpires feel uncomfortable and making a "tough" (?) call during a game.
Let's review. Some quotes from your posts in this thread:

Quote:

...I am always afraid to disagree with them.

I rarely contribute to this kind of forum (discussion boards) because I am afraid of the flame wars here.

I frankly could use some advice on how to approach the issue of how to disagree in a way that doesn't offend sensitive, veteran umpires who are very set in their ways.

I said in a very humble tone ...

I wouldn't know how to verbally ask your question in a way that doesn't put the other guy on the defensive.

Out with the guys I feel like I am immediately putting them on the defensive when I bring out the rule book.

Sorry to be blunt, but you come across as very wishy-washy. You're so afraid of conflict that it does seem rather incongruous that you would be a baseball umpire. I suspect the reaction I have had to your posts in this thread is similar to Tee's, prompting him to ask if you can make a tough, controversial call in a game situation.

It's a fair observation.

Old Thu Aug 11, 2005, 09:19pm
I hate Illinois Nazis

Re: Re: Re: Hmmm,

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hensley

Sorry to be blunt, but you come across as very wishy-washy. You're so afraid of conflict that it does seem rather incongruous that you would be a baseball umpire. I suspect the reaction I have had to your posts in this thread is similar to Tee's, prompting him to ask if you can make a tough, controversial call in a game situation.

It's a fair observation.

[/B]
Fair enough. You spent all that time to cut and paste all those quotes and I wish you would have just said "buck up" and don't be afraid to say what's right. That's what I'll try to take away from this thread. I'm actually not afraid of confrontations with coaches and as a coach I'm usually pretty confrontational with umpires who blow rule stuff..."The lady doth protest too much"...
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Quote:
Originally posted by Lapopez
Quote:
Originally posted by jumpmaster

Lapopez, ...You might want to pull out a rule book and ask the question instead of paraphrasing it.

I am missing your point here. Do you mean here on this forum or when I am out with the guys? Out with the guys I feel like I am immediately putting them on the defensive when I bring out the rule book.
Buck up.

Suggested technique: "After our discussion the other day I went to my rule book and I still think it says..." Pulling out your book and turning to the page, "the rule reads...doesn't that mean..." If your buds turn their back on you and aren't willing to engage, then it is time to find a new group of pals.

If one of the FNG that I talk ball with pulls this stunt on me it shows me three things:
1) he is in the rule book studying
2) he has the balls to get the rule right
3) he wants to learn

I will work with a guy like that any day of the week.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Hahahaha,

The original poster wrote:

"Do you then, by default, disrespect those who have not yet earned your respect?"

Golly, why should I fall for a Rush Limbaugh type question?

Rush often says: "You're either a conservative or a liberal, there is no middle ground!"

And you have tried to make me sit in the situation.

I would guess that even dumb people would recognize that there could be three easily identified levels:

"Disrespect",

"Neutral or open minded"

"Respect" . . .

You have already proven to be wishy-washy I think you have made that quite clear.