View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 03, 2005, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

As I was back home for a visit last week I went out to the old ballpark where there was a Pony League game being played. As I was standing there talking to one of the coaches I knew a play had developed where F4 ran down and tagged R1 who was running back to 1B. The combination of the tag and the kids momentum sent him rolling on the dirt. With the parents reaction you would've thought F4 had committed a crime.

The coach leaned over to me and said "If this was football everyone would've been cheering for a good hit but instead this is baseball." Now, this was nowhere near a football caliber hit. The kid was running and was basically pushed by the tag...nothing more, nothing less.

Hold on this gets better.

Then a lady whom I assumed was the players mom came right up to the coach and demanded that he talk to the ump and in her words said "he (the ump) needs to call something". We both asked her what she wanted called and she said "unnecessary roughness". Trying not to laugh we both said maam that's only in football. Frustrated she turned to walk back to the bleachers and it was then that a guy, after hearing our whole conversation, said "tell him to take his skirt off and start playing baseball". She came unglued yelling at him about how a kid on the team broke his finger, etc.

I couldn't help but to think about how not only has our society become so damn sensitive about everything but I also can't help to think that that guy was right about the skirt comment.

Have any of you had similar situations?