The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 03, 2005, 04:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I see the news link is back up.. Found this interesting blurb.

With one out and runners on first and second in the bottom of the 10th, Lynx left fielder Bobby Darula singled off reliever Joe Valentine. Bernie Castro was on second and tried to score, but Louisville catcher Dane Sardinha blocked the plate as he awaited right fielder Rick Asadoorian's throw.

The throw was late and Castro would have scored had he slid, but instead he tried to hurdle Sardinha and touch the plate on his way down. He missed the plate and stood 10 feet in back of it.

Sardinha guarded the plate, unsure whether to go tag Castro or prevent Ed Rogers from scoring from third.

"It was the winning run for them and I was just trying to stand in front of the plate and stop him so the ball could get to me and I could tag him out," Sardinha said.

"He ran by and I looked at the umpire and he didn't make any sign -- safe or out -- so I knew he didn't touch the plate."

Home plate umpire Dave Riley eventually called out Castro for leaving the baseline.

Say what?? Leaving the baseline?? Something has to be missing from the story or from the PU's head. Tag out if the runner is still at the plate area, appeal if not. But out of the baseline?? As certain people would say, lah meh

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Wed Aug 03, 2005, 05:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
I see the news link is back up.. Found this interesting blurb.

With one out and runners on first and second in the bottom of the 10th, Lynx left fielder Bobby Darula singled off reliever Joe Valentine. Bernie Castro was on second and tried to score, but Louisville catcher Dane Sardinha blocked the plate as he awaited right fielder Rick Asadoorian's throw.

The throw was late and Castro would have scored had he slid, but instead he tried to hurdle Sardinha and touch the plate on his way down. He missed the plate and stood 10 feet in back of it.

Sardinha guarded the plate, unsure whether to go tag Castro or prevent Ed Rogers from scoring from third.

"It was the winning run for them and I was just trying to stand in front of the plate and stop him so the ball could get to me and I could tag him out," Sardinha said.

"He ran by and I looked at the umpire and he didn't make any sign -- safe or out -- so I knew he didn't touch the plate."

Home plate umpire Dave Riley eventually called out Castro for leaving the baseline.

Say what?? Leaving the baseline?? Something has to be missing from the story or from the PU's head. Tag out if the runner is still at the plate area, appeal if not. But out of the baseline?? As certain people would say, lah meh
He wasn't called out for leaving the "baseline" to avoid a tag. He was called out (on appeal: 7:10d) because he didn't return to the base.

As is often the case, the sports writer didn't talk to the umpire and doesn't know much about baseball.
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Louisville catcher Dane Sardinha blocked the plate as he awaited right fielder Rick Asadoorian's throw.

FED RULES--THAT'S OBSTRUCTION!!!! RUN SCORES!!
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

FED Rules - hurdling is illegal (unless the fielder is lying on the ground).
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

FED - the act of obstruction does not negate the runner's responsibility to avoid a fielder legally.
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

was this a FED game? If not, why interject FED rules?

[Edited by LMan on Aug 8th, 2005 at 03:44 PM]
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew F
FED - the act of obstruction does not negate the runner's responsibility to avoid a fielder legally.
Where you read that one illegal act trumps another illegal act?
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:
Malicious contact supercedes obstruction.
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:
Malicious contact supercedes obstruction.
Hurdling is not malicious contact. Since this came up I have been searching for a FED reference (since not hurdling is a FED rule) that says a hurdler who did so because he was obstructed should be called out, instead of calling obstruction, kind of a which came first, chicken or egg question. Seems to me the obstruction came first, and resulted in the hurdling. I have not found the definitive answer yet, that's why I asked where you read this. I can find a reference to a runner being obligated to avoid a fielder legally, when he is not being obstructed, ie catcher has the ball or is in the act of catching. But when one illegal act leads to another, it seems we should figure out which came first.
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Since this came up I have been searching for a FED reference (since not hurdling is a FED rule) that says a hurdler who did so because he was obstructed should be called out, instead of calling obstruction, kind of a which came first, chicken or egg question.
8.4.2T

Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Which is one sentence says WHAT????

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Since this came up I have been searching for a FED reference (since not hurdling is a FED rule) that says a hurdler who did so because he was obstructed should be called out, instead of calling obstruction, kind of a which came first, chicken or egg question.
8.4.2T

Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
8.4.2T

Thanks. I put my highlighter on it. Seems illogical, but well, it's FED.
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Not illogical - obstruction means that a runner can't be put out between the bases where the OBS occurs UNLESS he transgresses in any number of ways... hurdling being one of them (passing another runner, missing a base, etc being the more common ones though).
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Not illogical - obstruction means that a runner can't be put out between the bases where the OBS occurs UNLESS he transgresses in any number of ways... hurdling being one of them (passing another runner, missing a base, etc being the more common ones though).
No, in FED obstruction means a runner advances even if in no danger of being putout. The obstruction (an illegal act) caused the runner to hurdle (another illegal act). Absent the obstruction there would be no hurdle. It seems logical to me to penalize the first illegal act, but the FED case book says otherwise, no doubt ruling on the side of safety.
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

FED is different. They want to minimize the opportunity for injury I guess.

For example, the NCAA says:

If the defensive player blocks the base (plate) or base line clearly without possession of the ball, obstruction shall be called. The runner is safe and an immediate dead ball shall be called.

A.R.—If the base runner collides flagrantly, the runner shall be declared safe on the obstruction, but will be ejected from the contest. The ball is dead.