View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 03, 2005, 05:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
I see the news link is back up.. Found this interesting blurb.

With one out and runners on first and second in the bottom of the 10th, Lynx left fielder Bobby Darula singled off reliever Joe Valentine. Bernie Castro was on second and tried to score, but Louisville catcher Dane Sardinha blocked the plate as he awaited right fielder Rick Asadoorian's throw.

The throw was late and Castro would have scored had he slid, but instead he tried to hurdle Sardinha and touch the plate on his way down. He missed the plate and stood 10 feet in back of it.

Sardinha guarded the plate, unsure whether to go tag Castro or prevent Ed Rogers from scoring from third.

"It was the winning run for them and I was just trying to stand in front of the plate and stop him so the ball could get to me and I could tag him out," Sardinha said.

"He ran by and I looked at the umpire and he didn't make any sign -- safe or out -- so I knew he didn't touch the plate."

Home plate umpire Dave Riley eventually called out Castro for leaving the baseline.

Say what?? Leaving the baseline?? Something has to be missing from the story or from the PU's head. Tag out if the runner is still at the plate area, appeal if not. But out of the baseline?? As certain people would say, lah meh
He wasn't called out for leaving the "baseline" to avoid a tag. He was called out (on appeal: 7:10d) because he didn't return to the base.

As is often the case, the sports writer didn't talk to the umpire and doesn't know much about baseball.