View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 30, 2005, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Wink

Tim,

Thanks for the clarification. While I do have a couple of good friends of the Canadian persuasion, I'm afraid some of the more subtle nuances of the Canadian dialect remain elusive to me, eh?

Perhaps by the social norms of East Tennessee, invitations to oral copulation are considered "clever repartee" or simply good-natured banter. Based on some other posts, there are apparently other practices which are considered acceptable there that would not be considered so elsewhere.

As to your gentle jibe regarding my pretensions, given the recent "high-brow" direction being taken in the Forum, I fear you may have a point.

Discussions of comparative religion and theology.

Drumbum's frighteningly accurate emulation of the writing style of William Faulkner in some of his early postings (Ref.: "As I Lay Dying", My Mother is a Fish); the surrealistic musings of SAUmp which call to mind both Joyce and Pynchon; and dudeinblue's (perhaps overly) ambitious attempts to synthesize the writing styles of Jim Evans, Henry Miller, and Hugh Selby in his posts. Sure, he's not quite there yet, but given the scope of his ambition, that's hardly surprising.

Occasionally there are even discussions of the proper application of some of the more arcane rules of baseball and advanced umpiring mechanics.

Given this incredibly rich milieu, I may indeed be "in over my head". I'll try to watch it. But, if I don't challenge myself, how am I supposed to get better?

JM