The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Last night I'm working the plate for a amateur town ball 1st round playoff game, pro pitching rules. In the bottom of the 10th, the home team gets guys on 1st and 2nd. The batter squares to sacrifice, but the pitch runs in on him and nails him right in the junk. Unfortunately, he never pulled the bat back. Guy goes down like he's been shot, and I call a dead ball strike on the offer.

The two coaches come running in from their boxes...then the guy tells us he's not wearing a cup! The coach tells him to take his time...all I can think of saying is the old adage, "Don't rub it."

Anyways, the guy stayed in the game and of course struck out. But now he's got a good story to tell his children, if he still can father any.
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
Last night I'm working the plate for a amateur town ball 1st round playoff game, pro pitching rules. In the bottom of the 10th, the home team gets guys on 1st and 2nd. The batter squares to sacrifice, but the pitch runs in on him and nails him right in the junk. Unfortunately, he never pulled the bat back. Guy goes down like he's been shot, and I call a dead ball strike on the offer.

The two coaches come running in from their boxes...then the guy tells us he's not wearing a cup! The coach tells him to take his time...all I can think of saying is the old adage, "Don't rub it."

Anyways, the guy stayed in the game and of course struck out. But now he's got a good story to tell his children, if he still can father any.
Who was playing? I can think of a few town ball players to which I wouldn't mind having that happen.

[Edited by Matt on Jul 25th, 2005 at 01:19 AM]
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, he never pulled the bat back.
Pulling the bat back means nothing. You have to decide if he tried to strike the ball or not.
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 05:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
.... Unfortunately, he never pulled the bat back. Guy goes down like he's been shot, and I call a dead ball strike on the offer.
Uhh, you need to read up on the rules! Holding the bat over the plate is not an offer.

Quote:
..... Anyways, the guy stayed in the game and of course struck out. But now he's got a good story to tell his children, if he still can father any.
Yeah, the story is that the umpire doesn't know the rules!

Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Hahaha,

Another umpire, placing in writing, that he does not know the rules.

Amazing.
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Wink

TriggerMN,
I'm sure you meant to say that unfortunately he offered at the pitch and then got nailed - right?
Because you already knew that just holding the bat still does not constitute an attempted bunt - right?
At least, I'm interpreting your post that way.
In any case being hit there does hurt. I wear mine whether I am BU or PU - habit I guess. I have never been hit as BU but a few times as PU. Plus I never know when I show up, if I may have to do the plate and it saves time from installing the darn thing.

[Edited by officialtony on Jul 25th, 2005 at 11:54 AM]
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by officialtony
TriggerMN,
I'm sure you meant to say that unfortunately he offered at the pitch and then got nailed - right?
Because you already knew that just holding the bat still does not constitute an attempted bunt - right?
At least, I'm interpreting your post that way.
In any case being hit there does hurt. I wear mine whether I am BU or PU - habit I guess. I have never been hit there as BU but a few times as PU. Plus I never know when I show up, if I may have to do the plate and it saves time from installing the darn thing.

[Edited by officialtony on Jul 25th, 2005 at 11:48 AM]
Yeahhhh...that's what he meant....."he offered at the pitch"....yeahhh....that's right...he knew it all along...
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

You guys are rough!!!
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

more umpires being smart-a$$es....imagine that
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Ok.. WHAT I am trying to assertain is WHAT in the world the story of the "batter who gets hit in the nuts" has to do with the game under "pro pitching rules"?

Was this so we didn't get confused by the MANY MANY leagues and organizations where getting hit in the nuts awards you extra bases.. or none? ARrgghhh!

Quote:
Last night I'm working the plate for a amateur town ball 1st round playoff game, pro pitching rules.

Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Guy tries to bunt the ball and gets hit in the wedding tackle. What's so hard to understand about that?

Pro pitching rules. They're different from NFHS pitching rules. For instance, these guys have to throw the pitches on an intentional walk. Also, a balk by the pitcher is still a live ball in pro rules; in NFHS the ball is dead immediately.

Who doesn't know the rules?
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

good one Trigger. What up now Mike you smart-a$$
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

good one Trigger. What up now Mike you smart-a$$? Arrgghh!
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
Lightbulb

"Guy goes down like he's been shot, and I call a dead ball strike on the offer."

Hmmm...sounds like he judged that the batter offered at the pitch or didn't somebody notice that?
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NFump
"Guy goes down like he's been shot, and I call a dead ball strike on the offer."

Hmmm...sounds like he judged that the batter offered at the pitch or didn't somebody notice that?
Read the whole reference instead of cherry picking:

" Unfortunately, he never pulled the bat back. Guy goes down like he's been shot, and I call a dead ball strike on the offer.""

The inference appears to that not pulling the bat back is being equated with an "offer", which is untrue.