View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 07:48pm
etihwsamoht

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
Another blurb from Rollie article...

"With another passed ball zinging by, R3 could not resist the temptation to score. But R3 was unsuccessful, sad to say while R2 had just rounded third base. F4 and F6 were also in the vicinity, congratulating themselves with the out on R3, when F5 saw R2's unauthorized ambition. F5, possessing a pretty good arm, threw toward third base as if he wanted the ball to reach first. Two gloves went up, right next to each other, like twins waiting to be born. Pop! R2 dived back toward third base. F6 like an arrow taged R2 while F4 chose unsuccessfully to tag R2's hands frantically reaching for the bag. R2 looked safe at the bag. But wait: Which glove had the ball?

"SAAA........." You know what I started to say, as I began to raise both arms at my side. But I changed my mind. "SAY," adding a dramatic pause, "who's got the ball?"

He is writing to "help" us be better umpires. Yeah here is a prime example of poor timing with a CYA. I don't know why I punish myself with his stuff. Maybe I keep grapsing for something good.

I'm still trying to figure out what the size of the infield has to do with umpiring. I asked a buddy that went to Evans last year if he knew. Not something covered by them. I guess Evans is falling short since I paid for it here.
Ever here of mechanics? You think the size of the field which is indicative of the capabilities of the players has nothing to do with the game?