The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56

I think Dave Davies hit the nail on the head this morning. It's time we get back to discussing officiating the game of baseball.

Dave mentioned game management as a potential topic for discussion. I've read articles on what certain individuals feel are some of the corner stones in building good game management skills. I've even written a rather mundane article on how pre-game preperation can be tantamount in helping you develop some of these skills.

Other than the obvious things you feel are needed in an umpires arsenal to reflect good game management prowess, i.e; hustle, presence, etc...

What would you list as some of the more inatangible items on your personal list of game magement skills?

Tim.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to umpbrian
Just a word from the new guy.

Consistancy goes a long way...not only in ball/strikes safes/outs but in how you administer the game as well. I think that some of the most crucial times in a game is between innings. Are we keeping the game moving, are we aware of potential problems, just because there is no playing action doesn't mean that we can let our gaurd down. It's at times like these that problems can and do arise. There are of course other critical areas, but that is just my two cents worth.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

I think it all comes back to your pregame conference with your partner (before you come onto the field). A good pregame will prepare both of you to be aware of what is going on, know what the other is doing, etc. This eliminates confusion and helps keep the game flowing. My association gives all its members a "Kittle Card", named after the illustrious Dick Kittle, which covers all the basics of what to discuss (i.e. signals, priority, appeals, etc).
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

When working with multiple partners, as can be the case in tournaments, and multifield complexes, it is extremely important to go over coverages. When I'm behind the plate, I want to know how BU is going to handle the outfield particularly. There are standard mechanics, but not everyone abides by them. An agreement on coverages will help eliminate double calls.

When I'm in the field, I want to know what PU expects from me.

Lead runners (going to third), balks (some like to split the coverage - you take the hands and upper body, I'll take the feet).

When working with the same crew consistantly, this discussion is not always needed.

MIB