The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 14, 2005, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
For those that have read it, what is everyones take on defensive players, especially wearing a helmet/face mask on defense?

I really cannot see a player doing this but on extreme rare occasions. I am kind of curious what type of helmet will be allowed. An Olerud type helmet? Batting helmet?

I do agree with the ball is dead on an inadvertant foul call only if the ball hits the ground. Course if every umpire used good timing this would be a moot issue.

I also agree with the banning of white or gray only from the multi-colored gloves. A light tan dark brown or black colored glove being banned did seem extreme to me.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Fri Jul 15, 2005, 06:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
For those that have read it, what is everyones take on defensive players, especially wearing a helmet/face mask on defense?

I really cannot see a player doing this but on extreme rare occasions. I am kind of curious what type of helmet will be allowed. An Olerud type helmet? Batting helmet?

I do agree with the ball is dead on an inadvertant foul call only if the ball hits the ground. Course if every umpire used good timing this would be a moot issue.

I also agree with the banning of white or gray only from the multi-colored gloves. A light tan dark brown or black colored glove being banned did seem extreme to me.
I'm assuming you're talking about two-tone gloves for pitchers? Our state rules interpreter advised us last year to apply a little common-sense when enforcing this rule and ban gloves with white/gray/distracting color, but not a two-tone "brown" glove.

The "inadvertent foul ball" call change is good. By the old rule, as soon as you called "foul ball", the ball was dead... even if the defense caught the ball. Outs are good!

If that's the extent of the changes, next year's meeting should be short and sweet.
Old Fri Jul 15, 2005, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
There are more changes.. Go to the paid side of the site and you can see them all in a free article.

Fed had come out and said if the glove was, for example, black with light tan, then that would be considered multicolored and a "distraction" supposedly. Least now it is clear and specifies exact colors.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Fri Jul 15, 2005, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

It has always been legal for a pitcher to wear a batting helmet while pitching.

We have two teams in Oregon that have done that since the early 70's.

It will certainly not be that big of a deal except for an OOO.

Old Fri Jul 15, 2005, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Re: Hmmm,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
It has always been legal for a pitcher to wear a batting helmet while pitching.

We have two teams in Oregon that have done that since the early 70's.

It will certainly not be that big of a deal except for an OOO.

Medical studies have, for years, reported that most "baseball to face" injuries in baseball occur to fielders, not batters. Softball players have worn helmets with clear face masks on the field for some time now.

I don't believe the use of them will become widespread in baseball, but, as Tee has suggested, who cares? There's nothing to get excited about.