The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wmandino
To clarify. (1)A bunted ball off the bat by definiton posted earlier and a (2)swinging line drive off the bat, neither one are included in the infield fly situation.
could you go over that one more time? Having some trouble here.....
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

The infield fly rule doesn't apply to line drives or a bunted ball. There's an additional rule that applies to an intentionally dropped ball including line drives and fly balls when the infield fly rule is not called. This rule states that the batter is out if a defensive player intentionally drops the ball with the intention of gaining a defensive advantage by not catching it. An example is there's a runner on first and a line drive is hit to the shortstop close to second base. The shortstop drops the ball in order to try and turn a double play. This rule differs from the infield fly rule in a number of ways:

This rule can apply with a runner on first base or first and third in addition to the force plays listed for the infield fly rule
This rule can be called by the umpire after the play occurs. An infield fly rule must be called when the ball is in the air.
Once the umpire has made the call, the ball is dead and the base runners must return to their original bases. They cannot advance on the play.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

LMan - you keep pitching 'em. He'll keep missin' 'em.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Now you've done . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by mrm21711
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
"I do own a rule a rule book smartA@@."

Gosh darn I'm so offended.

instead of saying buy a rule book I should have said:

"Work on your reading skills!"

Learning can be fun.
Tee...

I disagree with my partner on this one. He claims each batter gets three strikes. I argue four. Whose correct? The rule book says three, but I am still unsure. Thanks.

Yikes. Will this be a future post?
Some would say a batter only gets 2 strikes.

Once he has 3 strikes, he's no longer a batter...
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 10:05am
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Originally posted by wmandino
An infield fly rule must be called when the ball is in the air.

[/B]
Really? I've called it after a fielder has caught the ball - on a very windy day when "routine" catches are few and far between...
Does it say that it "must be called in the air" in a manual somewhere?
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

This rule can be called by the umpire after the play occurs. An infield fly rule must be called when the ball is in the air.
Once the umpire has made the call, the ball is dead and the base runners must return to their original bases. They cannot advance on the play.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Ball not dead. Batter out runners advance at their own risk even if the ball is dropped. Force no longer applies.

Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 10:19am
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307

Once again, where does it say this in a manual? In the FED book it says, "When it seems apparent that a batted ball will be an infield fly, the umpire immediately announces it for the benefit of the runners." What if it's not apparent until it's been caught? Is that too late to declare it an infield fly and protect the runners?

[Edited by JJ on Jun 28th, 2005 at 11:21 AM]
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JJ
Quote:

Once again, where does it say this in a manual? In the FED book it says, "When it seems apparent that a batted ball will be an infield fly, the umpire immediately announces it for the benefit of the runners." What if it's not apparent until it's been caught? Is that too late to declare it an infield fly and protect the runners?

Infield fly is a "rule". Everyone (Players, coaches, UMPIRES) are expected to know the rule. Oridinary effort is the key. This involves judgement, awareness of the situation ie. how many men on base and number of outs. If you wait until the ball is caught before annoucing it...... well I hope you enjoy your tee ball career!!!!!!!!!
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JJ
Quote:

JJ,

No manual is necessary. If it is not apparent, well you then have never seen, heard, played, been at, are aware of or know anything about baseball.

In that case you should look to officiate a more familar sport other than baseball.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
Quote:
Originally posted by JJ
Quote:

JJ,

No manual is necessary. If it is not apparent, well you then have never seen, heard, played, been at, are aware of or know anything about baseball.

In that case you should look to officiate a more familar sport other than baseball.

If it's an infield fly, call it. If one or both umpires have brain failure and forget to call it, they can correct it by declaring BR out, everything else stands. Do not call IFF after a catch has been made because its not apparent until its caught. Thats the intent of the rule! If its not apparent its going to be caught, its not an IFF, period. If any situation occurs making the catch not able to be made "with ordinary effort" its not an IFF.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

If it's an infield fly, call it. If one or both umpires have brain failure and forget to call it, they can correct it by declaring BR out, everything else stands.

OK, Bases juiced bottom of the last inning score tied no outs. Batter pops up to the shortstop (neither umpire declares it an infield fly) he camps under it and for an unknown reason he drops the ball runner from third takes off throw sails over the catchers head or throw nails the runner at home. In either case what's your call?

[Edited by gordon30307 on Jun 28th, 2005 at 12:35 PM]
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Well,

Well, actually JJ DOES understand the game, and especially umpiring.

I think we have confused this issue enough for today.

Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If it's an infield fly, call it. If one or both umpires have brain failure and forget to call it, they can correct it by declaring BR out, everything else stands.

OK, Bases juiced bottom of the last inning score tied no outs. Batter pops up to the shortstop (neither umpire declares it an infield fly) he camps under it and for an unknown reason he drops the ball runner from third takes off throw sails over the catchers head or throw nails the runner at home. In either case what's your call?

[Edited by gordon30307 on Jun 28th, 2005 at 12:35 PM]
I still have an infield fly and the batter is out. If the runner scores then fine, it counts. If he is nailed at the plate, then he is out.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Gordon - in your sitch, I have whatever the result of the play is. The runner from third can advance after the catch/no-catch at his own risk (whether I called IFF or not).

The fixable non-called IFF is more likely when the runners ran BECAUSE of the no-IFF call (usually meaning BEFORE the catch/no-catch).

I guess the crux is... call your damned IFF's when you're supposed to and you don't have to worry about it.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

After we all agree that an IFF should be called while the ball is in the air lets get back to the original question. Do the majority feel like a BUNT is not an IFF?