The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Infield fly on a bunted ball?? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/21058-infield-fly-bunted-ball.html)

wmandino Mon Jun 27, 2005 04:13pm

A handle full of guys have been arguing about this for a couple of days, on whether or not a bunt can be considered an infield fly. I say that a bunt CAN NOT be an infield fly. Can I get some input from the baseball community on this one?

Tim C Mon Jun 27, 2005 04:19pm

Well,

You could buy a rule book and find the answer.

It is written very clearly.

tornado Mon Jun 27, 2005 04:19pm

In Fed and OBR rules, a bunt should not be called an infield fly.

wmandino Mon Jun 27, 2005 04:31pm

I do own a rule a rule book smartA@@. I states that a line drive and or an ATTEMPTED bunted ball is not. That is what I'm having trouble with.

tornado Mon Jun 27, 2005 04:39pm

Read the definition of "bunt"...

DG Mon Jun 27, 2005 04:43pm

Quote:

Originally posted by wmandino
I do own a rule a rule book smartA@@. I states that a line drive and or an ATTEMPTED bunted ball is not. That is what I'm having trouble with.
A bunt is a batted ball not swung at, but intentionally met with the bat and tapped slowly within the infield. Anything else, such as ball in the air high enough to be thought of as a fly ball is an "attempted" bunt because it was not done correctly. A bunt goes to the ground quickly.

wmandino Mon Jun 27, 2005 04:52pm

with that definition of a bunt. I would come to conclude that an attempted bunt would be a ball hit in the air (infield fly) and therefor would not be included in the infield fly situation.

Tim C Mon Jun 27, 2005 04:52pm

Now you've done . . .

"I do own a rule a rule book smartA@@."

Gosh darn I'm so offended.

instead of saying buy a rule book I should have said:

"Work on your reading skills!"

Learning can be fun.

gordon30307 Mon Jun 27, 2005 05:21pm

Hey Tee can't believe some of the questions that have come up lately. The next one will be a debate about whether the hands are part of the bat.........LOL

wmandino Mon Jun 27, 2005 05:22pm

So to answer my question, A bunt and or line drive can not be an infield fly rule.

LDUB Mon Jun 27, 2005 09:24pm

Quote:

Originally posted by wmandino
So to answer my question, A bunt and or line drive can not be an infield fly rule.
It is prety hard for a batted ball to be a bunt and a line drive.

NFump Mon Jun 27, 2005 09:31pm

WADDA YA MEAN

C'mon now. You can line drive a bunt, but you can't bunt a line drive. Well you could but you'd be out.

wmandino Mon Jun 27, 2005 09:54pm

To clarify. (1)A bunted ball off the bat by definiton posted earlier and a (2)swinging line drive off the bat, neither one are included in the infield fly situation.

mrm21711 Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:38pm

Re: Now you've done . . .

Quote:

Originally posted by Tim C
"I do own a rule a rule book smartA@@."

Gosh darn I'm so offended.

instead of saying buy a rule book I should have said:

"Work on your reading skills!"

Learning can be fun.

Tee...

I disagree with my partner on this one. He claims each batter gets three strikes. I argue four. Whose correct? The rule book says three, but I am still unsure. Thanks.

Yikes. Will this be a future post?

aevans410 Tue Jun 28, 2005 06:19am

Its summer ball time, anything is possible ;)