View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 19, 2005, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rickfriedmann
I'm in my first year and I've noticed the books (particularly Fed) suggest that the proper C postion is to be on a line from the plate through the side of the rubber. But I find that puts me to the shortstop's left and gives me a very bad angle on foot-base-glove on steals of third.
My Fed Umpire Manual does not say that, nor do any of the other manuals I have say that. Position C is "approximately halfway between the pitcher's mound and second base, on the third-base side of the infield, more less on a line extended from the plate through the edge of the the mound, with the feet positioned parallel to the pitcher's plate.." There is a big difference between standing on a line from the plate through the side of the rubber and the a line from the plate through the side of the mound. In the correct C position you should be just left of the SS and just right of a runner leading off. Sometimes the runner behind you will ask for a step and he is generally asking for you to move one step to the right. On steals of third you should not step toward 3B, but toward the 3B line so you will be at 45 degree angle to 3B and have a real good look. You may hear the runner moving behind you but I don't recommend doing anything until the pitch reaches the catcher, because 1) you may be asked for a check swing appeal, and 2) you may distract the batter.

[Edited by DG on Jun 19th, 2005 at 09:06 PM]