The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 20, 2005, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

I got called to work an American Legion alumni game for my hometown AL team yesterday. The game was the current AL team vs. Alumni from over the years. This was supposed to be a fun game.....

When I got called to do the game the coach of the AL team told me that I would be on the dish and one of the alumni who couldn't play was going to help on the bases. I figured no problem. First, I knew almost everyone on the alumni team and a good portion of the current team. Secondly, again this was supposed to be a good, fun exhibition celebrating the tradition of baseball in my area....boy was I wrong.

Understand that the AL team in my hometown is actually comprised of two high schools: my old high school and a larger, neighboring school. Well, since the coach of the current AL team is an alumni himself, he was playing for the alumni squad--two of the parents coached the current team, the designated HC from the neighboring school.

Current team was the visitors--1st inning, their catcher (who I have come close to ejecting in FED Varsity games before), is batting and is complaining fairly openly about my strikezone. 2nd inning, while his team is batting again (already losing to the alumni 7-0), the player starts calling me terrible, horrible, etc. from the dugout loud enough for all to hear (remember...this is supposed to be a fun exhibition!) Well this starts the parent/coaches on me. By the 4th inning the parent HC is completely on me so bad that had it been a regular game, he would at the very least been restricted if FED rules had been in effect. After a close curveball that I called a Ball and he starts again, I take off the mask and shoot him a look. He immediately turns it on me: "Oh lighten up I was only teasing you. If you want to turn this into the World Series we will." Now the parents are on me.

Fast forward to the 7th. The current team has come back to take the lead 16-14. Alumni has R2 and R3, 0 out. Single to left, R2 scores easily, R3 waved home. Close play at the plate, F2 misses the tag, I call Safe. Parent HC comes sprinting out of the dugout just as I'm calling time to brush the plate to argue. As he gets to me, he makes contact (intentionally or accidentally I'm not sure). He argues w/ me for a good 20 seconds and then finally goes back to the dugout when I shoot him the "get out of my face or else" look. Current team ends up winning 19-18 in 9 innings.

I know this was long, but what would you guys have done in this sitch? Remember this was supposed to be a fun, celebratory exhibition that, at least for me, turned into a nightmare. Would any of you had pitched the player and/or parent-HC given these circumstances? Stan, if you read this, I'm sure you can probably guess who I'm talking about. Comments?
Old Mon Jun 20, 2005, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Did you get paid to do this game? If so, there is no such thing as a fun game.

One on one basketball games between me and my son can turn into a war.

There is no such thing as a fun game. Repeat after me, there is no such............
Old Mon Jun 20, 2005, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
Did you get paid to do this game? If so, there is no such thing as a fun game.

One on one basketball games between me and my son can turn into a war.

There is no such thing as a fun game. Repeat after me, there is no such............
Wasn't expecting to get paid, but did.....
Old Mon Jun 20, 2005, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

After the very first inning, maybe the 2nd --- whenever you felt things were starting to slip a little, bring both coaches together (would NEVER do this in a real game --- but in one where you really don't want to eject anyone, as it's supposed to be a "friendly"), and say something like, "Guys - this is supposed to be fun. Competitive. But fun. Some of your guys on both sides are treating this like it's do or die. I REALLY don't want to start acting like a "real" umpire and warning or tossing people."

Hopefully that calms it down.

If it doesn't, and you're not getting paid (or didn't think you were). If they get out of hand, just leave. "Sorry, guys. This was supposed to be fun. This isn't fun, and I'm not going to stand here and take this kind of abuse in an exhibition."
Old Mon Jun 20, 2005, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe it was just an exhibition in umpire abuse.

If it truly was an exhibition, then they really have nothing to lose...they could do or say anything and not have to worry about the ramifications. I agree with mcrowder, ask them to shape up and if it doesn't happen, just up and leave.
Old Mon Jun 20, 2005, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tmp44
Parent HC comes sprinting out of the dugout just as I'm calling time to brush the plate to argue. As he gets to me, he makes contact (intentionally or accidentally I'm not sure). He argues w/ me for a good 20 seconds and then finally goes back to the dugout when I shoot him the "get out of my face or else" look. Current team ends up winning 19-18 in 9 innings.
You are crazy for not ejecting someone for bumping you.

Old Mon Jun 20, 2005, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

I have heard more horror stories like this than I care to remember.
I have turned down those kinds of " fun " games before since I have heard the horror stories. It is NEVER for fun. There will always be at least one stud in the group who will be out to flex his baseball muscles and this will lead to egos getting puffed up, etc. I just don't do these games and I would encourage you and others to avoid them like the plague.
Just politley inform the party asking you to work the game, that you have a previous commitment and let it go at that.
Hopefully a lesson well learned.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Tue Jun 21, 2005, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

If the game was supposed to be for fun, no one should have been complaining in the first place. If they are pi$$ing and moaning, you needed to let them know early on that if it was truly an exhibition, they needed to be quiet.

If that doesn't work, I agree with mcrowder on getting the coaches together and having a little chatty-poo about how the rest of the game is going to be. If they don't get it and keep bit%#ing, throw someone out.

If they give you any crap about tossing someone, tell then to finish their exhibition game on their own. No umpire should take that crap.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Tue Jun 21, 2005, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

not suprized

Todd,
Having been conned into volunteer umpiring for this AL team before myself, I am not suprized to see that it turned bad for you.

Last year I came there to watch my son play for this same legion team, when no umpires had shown up for the game. The old head coach asked me to suit up and do the game "for the kids"........and then proceeded to do his best "Earl Weaver" on me for 9 innings......

Never again....

Current Head Coach is a hot head and I know who the volunteer head coaches for the present team are. Both are screaming maniacs on the field and in the stands as parents........

You were in between a rock and a hard place in this one Todd........the personalities in this mix are way too volatile....... I feel for you..........but then again I was in that barrel last year.....so that makes two of us....

Stan
Old Tue Jun 21, 2005, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

It's not baseball... but I'm about to join you guys in the bucket. I'm refereeing the local fundraiser football game this weekend. Should be interesting. Hopefully, since it's a fundraiser, they will be sane. We'll see.
Old Tue Jun 21, 2005, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

A couple of years ago my company started a intramural softball league between departments. Since I was a trained baseball/softball umpire they asked me to umpire -- BIG MISTAKE! This was supposed to be fun, well it never was fun for me. Vice Presidents could never strike out (that was one of the unwritten but often reminded rules) any and all kinds of bats, gloves and lawn chairs were allowed to be used on the field. The arguing never stopped ... balls, strikes, safe, and outs were all argued and changed (by higher ranking company officials) to meet the game situation. I would get called into the office on Monday's and told where I made mistakes in umpire judgment, called in on Friday's and told to call a real game. Various VP would call me during the week and offer bits of encouragement and advice on how their pending opponent team would cheat. In short it was miserable. Lesson learned: Never -- NEVER EVER -- umpire a just for fun game.