The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 08, 2005, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

A player has the ball in bare hand, tags a runner off the base with glove. Out or safe? Please clarify. Thanks.
Old Wed Jun 08, 2005, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

If the player is tagged with the glove, the ball must be in the glove. If not, runner is safe if she gets on base before she is tagged the correct way. Also, the fielder could tag her with her bare (ungloved hand) with the ball in it. Either way you look at it, the ball must be in the hand the tag is made with.

-Josh
Old Wed Jun 08, 2005, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

I can think of only one situation where you'd have an out: ball in throwing hand, glove tags a base to which a runner is FORCED.

That's not your sitch, though. On any tag play, runner must be tagged with the ball, including being tagged by ball-in-glove.
Old Wed Jun 08, 2005, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ahudgins21
A player has the ball in bare hand, tags a runner off the base with glove. Out or safe?

Safe

Please clarify.

Safe as in not out.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Even tho the ball is in the players glove he/she needs to be tagged by the ball.

Tim your right, this is turning into a little league site.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 08:32am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
Even tho the ball is in the players glove he/she needs to be tagged by the ball.

Next question. There was a play at first where the fielder tagged the base with his hand rather than his foot. I argued that the runner should've been safe because everyone knows you have to tag the base with your foot. Right?

Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:

Next question. There was a play at first where the fielder tagged the base with his hand rather than his foot. I argued that the runner should've been safe because everyone knows you have to tag the base with your foot. Right?

I fear you may be too subtle for this crowd.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Alright, wait a minute. So, the Ted Williams shift is on and the ball is hit to F6 (now on the 1st base side of 2nd). If F6 holds the ball and grabs the hand of F4, who then grabs the hand of F3, who grabs F1's hand, who puts his right foot (not the left because that woud be a balk) on 1st, is the batter-runner out?
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Talking C'mon, Ozzy!

Ozzy,

Based on your sitch I would have to call the BR safe under the following rules:

BSMLBUM: 8.10(b)(s): In the event of an "infield chain play" (see page 38475), the second fielder in the chain when counting from the left must make a concerted attempt at making a full pirouette prior to coming in contact with the adjoining fielder. If said attempt is not made and/or completed prior to contact with subsequent fielder, the batter-runner shall be declared safe.
Exception: If, in the umpire's judgment, the batter-runner is a particularly slow runner, BOTH middle infielders are required to attempt and/or complete aforementioned piroutte prior to batter-runner touching first base.

(You mentioned no such piroutte attempt or completion in your sitch = SAFE)

Umpires Manual pp 8327-8331: While BU is in A position and the infield opts for the "infield chain play," BU cannot properly call an attempt or completion of a pirouette, this is the PU's call. The BU can only make call on such attempt/completion from the B position. If BU is in C position, it is the responsibility of the FIRST BASE side grandstands to hold up placards similar to the Olympic judges to decide whether either (or both if applicable) infielders attempted and/or completed the pirouette.

Fellas, I really think it's about time we got back to basics and put our noses back in the books. I mean, c'mon, Ozzy, it's right there in black and white *sheesh*

:-)
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Re: C'mon, Ozzy!

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueinLINY
Ozzy,

BSMLBUM: 8.10(b)(s): In the event of an "infield chain play" (see page 38475), the second fielder in the chain when counting from the left must make a concerted attempt at making a full pirouette prior to coming in contact with the adjoining fielder. If said attempt is not made and/or completed prior to contact with subsequent fielder, the batter-runner shall be declared safe.
Exception: If, in the umpire's judgment, the batter-runner is a particularly slow runner, BOTH middle infielders are required to attempt and/or complete aforementioned piroutte prior to batter-runner touching first base.

Umpires Manual pp 8327-8331: While BU is in A position and the infield opts for the "infield chain play," BU cannot properly call an attempt or completion of a pirouette, this is the PU's call. The BU can only make call on such attempt/completion from the B position. If BU is in C position, it is the responsibility of the FIRST BASE side grandstands to hold up placards similar to the Olympic judges to decide whether either (or both if applicable) infielders attempted and/or completed the pirouette.

Fellas, I really think it's about time we got back to basics and put our noses back in the books. I mean, c'mon, Ozzy, it's right there in black and white *sheesh*

My 20 month old knew that.. This site is getting way too simplistic for me!!

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Sadly, i've had a coach argue that with me before....
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Re: C'mon, Ozzy!

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueinLINY
Ozzy,

In the words of Tony Kornheiser...CLAASSSICC