The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 01, 2005, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Re: Huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Bob, I am not understanding your answer. Carldog, perhaps I'm not understanding the ball's flight; what are you asking?

If the foul pole is properly positioned at junction of the foul line and the outfield fence... a ball that hits that foul pole has got to be fair....

unless you are saying that the ball is out in foul territory, beyond the distance of the fence and is being blown back towards home plate (getting closer to HP) and then hits the back side of the foul pole...

okay that I can justify as a foul ball.

I need a better description.
That's what he's saying -- and adding the point that the ball hit the foul pole below the level of the top of the fence.

That is, had there been no foul pole, only a line on the front of the fence (or even just on the grass), the ball would clearly be ruled foul. But, because the foul pole sticks out a little from the fence, the ball hit it. As I said, "impossible." But still foul.

Old Wed Jun 01, 2005, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Bob, I am not understanding your answer. Carldog, perhaps I'm not understanding the ball's flight; what are you asking?

If the foul pole is properly positioned at junction of the foul line and the outfield fence... a ball that hits that foul pole has got to be fair....

unless you are saying that the ball is out in foul territory, beyond the distance of the fence and is being blown back towards home plate (getting closer to HP) and then hits the back side of the foul pole...

okay that I can justify as a foul ball.

I need a better description.
The only description available is the one originally posted:

"High, deep fly ball clearly over foul territory twists in the wind so that it travels just over the fence and strikes the 'foul pole' at a point that lies lower than the top of the fence."

As incredible as it may seem, in this scenario the foul pole is apparently beyond the fence. If a batted ball travels over the fence still in foul territory, it is foul, regardless of what it does after it leaves the field of play. TWP all the way.
Old Wed Jun 01, 2005, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

As for OUR calling this play where we typically don't have 6 man crews, to call a batted flyball foul that hits the foul pole is a difficult judgment to sell. The umpire has to make this judgment from a considerable distance. The fair call is the obvious call unless that foul pole is a considerable distance back from the fence.

At our level of play, to call this ball foul is opening a Pandora's box for yourself. If you call it foul, you better be damn certain of your judgment. When the game is over you can visit the Beverly Hillbillies and start shooting bugs off the wall with Jethro Bodine..........

Just my opinion,

Freix

Old Wed Jun 01, 2005, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bfair
...a difficult judgment to sell... The fair call is the obvious call... you better be damn certain of your judgment.

Just my opinion,

Freix

And how could you be damn certain of your judgement unless you were standing/lying on the ground AT THE FOUL POLE? Even at that, you're still going to have to make a tremendous sales job if you call this a foul ball.

I'm with Freix ... even if his moniker does appear a bit biased - Bfair.

My eye-sight is not phenomenal but even from 150-250 feet away, this is going to be a fair ball - it hit the pole!

We've all seen pop ups that would blow/climb 30-40-50 feet from where we thought they would land. But I have never seen a ball hit hard enough and deep enough to actually go out of the field of play and be blown directly back into the field. Highly improbable. And to be blown into the backside of the foul pole... even more improbable. Makes me want to do some math to determine the improbability. Let me see trajectory is a hyperbolic cosine... wind friction is a velocity squared function... required exit velocity to travel 400 feet horizontal... assume a 40 degree angle... therefore the required wind velocity towards the ball's origination point of home plate must be.... Holy Moly Batman... that's some incredible windspeed. Perfect baseball weather!

Well it is the beginning of the hurricane season. Perhaps we need actually consider this situation.
Old Wed Jun 01, 2005, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Only way I can see this fair-curving ball is on a pitch coming AT the batter, slower than expected. He REALLY gets around on it without getting the bat-head around, so much so that he hits it foul, but with a slice.

Completely TWP though.
Old Wed Jun 01, 2005, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TBBlue
Re: Re: Huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bfair
As for OUR calling this play where we typically don't have 6 man crews, to call a batted flyball foul that hits the foul pole is a difficult judgment to sell. The umpire has to make this judgment from a considerable distance. The fair call is the obvious call unless that foul pole is a considerable distance back from the fence.

At our level of play, to call this ball foul is opening a Pandora's box for yourself. If you call it foul, you better be damn certain of your judgment. When the game is over you can visit the Beverly Hillbillies and start shooting bugs off the wall with Jethro Bodine..........

Just my opinion,

Freix

Thank you Freix.
Edited to add....and Down Town. Don't know if it's in Carls list, but calling a foul on a ball that hits the pole will surely ruin a ballgame.

[Edited by TBBlue on Jun 1st, 2005 at 05:20 PM]
Old Wed Jun 01, 2005, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

"As incredible as it may seem, in this scenario the foul pole is apparently beyond the fence."

We watch MLB games on TV with the foul pole just beyond the fence (Washington, DC, for ex.). And it looks to be 10-12 inches in diameter.

So, I'm not so sure this scenario is as improbable/impossible as many have said...but DownTown made me chuckle pretty good. Because the foul pole can be directly behind the fence - the front of the pole touches the back of the fence like in Washington - and because the pole can be 10-12 inches in diameter...I can certainly see a high fly ball dropping at a near vertical angle...drifting from a point over foul territory toward fair territory... traveling just over the fence by an inch or two...and grazing the 'foul pole' on the foul territory side at a point that lies a few inches lower than the top of the fence.

Interesting discussion: thanks!

[Edited by carldog on Jun 1st, 2005 at 08:43 PM]
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TBBlue
Back to the RFK foul poles. I posted earlier, either here or on another board, that the LF pole is lined up on the fair edge of the foul line as opposed to directly over the line. Last night, the Braves broadcast showed the RF foul pole. It is lined up on the foul edge of the line, off exactly the same amount as the LF pole. It appears they measured the distances, erected the poles, and oops, when they drew the field the poles are off by 3 inches. Maybe the line on the fence is off, but I don't think so because that would be easy to fix. It is much more difficult to move a Major League foul pole if you mess it up.