View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 01, 2005, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bfair
...a difficult judgment to sell... The fair call is the obvious call... you better be damn certain of your judgment.

Just my opinion,

Freix

And how could you be damn certain of your judgement unless you were standing/lying on the ground AT THE FOUL POLE? Even at that, you're still going to have to make a tremendous sales job if you call this a foul ball.

I'm with Freix ... even if his moniker does appear a bit biased - Bfair.

My eye-sight is not phenomenal but even from 150-250 feet away, this is going to be a fair ball - it hit the pole!

We've all seen pop ups that would blow/climb 30-40-50 feet from where we thought they would land. But I have never seen a ball hit hard enough and deep enough to actually go out of the field of play and be blown directly back into the field. Highly improbable. And to be blown into the backside of the foul pole... even more improbable. Makes me want to do some math to determine the improbability. Let me see trajectory is a hyperbolic cosine... wind friction is a velocity squared function... required exit velocity to travel 400 feet horizontal... assume a 40 degree angle... therefore the required wind velocity towards the ball's origination point of home plate must be.... Holy Moly Batman... that's some incredible windspeed. Perfect baseball weather!

Well it is the beginning of the hurricane season. Perhaps we need actually consider this situation.