The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 23, 2005, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Is it just me, but do we seem to be getting alot of sitchs in which the person posting the thread wants to overrule his partner's call or has seen a sitch where one partner has come in and reversed a call without being asked.

I have been fortunate that this hasn't happened to me, but it seems like this has become more than a chronic situation in reading the threads coming through this site.

Comments ?

Thanks,

Doug
Old Mon May 23, 2005, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, I'd say that I can't recall reading more than 1 thread recently where the initial poster mentioned anything about overruling partner.

I remember some threads about a partner overruling the poster, and a great many more where some coach, fan, player, etc witnessed an official overruling another. Funny, that, when you think about it. Perhaps it's actually just perception, hmm?
Old Mon May 23, 2005, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to danreeves1973
Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've never had a partner overrule me or want to argue with me on the field, and I've never done it to anyone. Might be wrong but I was taught to back up your partner as much as you can. Its the two of you against all of them.

Now I will add though, if you blew it and know it, get you partner to help you out, and viceversa.
Old Mon May 23, 2005, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

I've been overruled.

Years ago. My first Little League All Star game. Four man crew, I was the PU, but not UiC. Protest sequence, I'm sure of my ruling, but we all get together, and I get out voted. Being a rookie I rolled over. The protest stopped one step before Williamsport, when the manager said "Uncle".

Just out of curiosity I called Williamsport the next day to make sure I was right. I was.
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 05:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kylejt
I've been overruled.

Years ago. My first Little League All Star game. Four man crew, I was the PU, but not UiC. Protest sequence, I'm sure of my ruling, but we all get together, and I get out voted. Being a rookie I rolled over. The protest stopped one step before Williamsport, when the manager said "Uncle".

Just out of curiosity I called Williamsport the next day to make sure I was right. I was.

What was protested?

Old Tue May 24, 2005, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Carbide Keyman

Is it just me, but do we seem to be getting alot of sitchs in which the person posting the thread wants to overrule his partner's call or has seen a sitch where one partner has come in and reversed a call without being asked.

IMO, it is just you. Please site the threads in which you refer.

Pete Booth
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 09:24am
Do not give a damn!!

There has been some discussion about "overruling" partners on this site. Those conversations were also some time ago. I do not think any umpire has the right to overrule any umpire's decision. They have the right to give you information that might help you in your call (which might ultimately change the call), but they cannot just change your call without your consent. If that information is given, then it is up to the calling umpire to make the change. I have never had any umpire in the places I have been even attempt to overrule a call I made. I know I have never told an umpire to overrule a call. I have been given help that has changed a call or two over the years. Our job is to work as a team and to get calls right when we can. If our partners were in position when they make their calls and saw the entire play, it should be our job to support them.

Peace
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

thank you gents

Thanks for all the responses. I hope I didn't offend our senoir members. Again, it was just my perception of some of the posts during the last month.

Doug
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

"I do not think any umpire has the right to overrule any umpire's decision. They have the right to give you information that might help you in your call (which might ultimately change the call), but they cannot just change your call without your consent. "

I had exactly this situation last week. 13-14. I'm behind the plate, runners on 1st and second. Fly ball to LF. LF juggles ball but eventually makes catch. Runner on second tags up and reaches third. Defense throws to third late but tags runner. My partner calls him out. Coach argues and my partner and I talk about it. Partner claims that runner has to wait until LF secures possesion before he leaves and that's why he called him out. I inform partner that he has the rule wrong. He insists otherwise and the original call stands. We had the converation out of listening range of the coaches and there was no further protest. But it still gripes me.