Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Re: Re: And Kalix,

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
. . . in my area:

You would NEVER get a playoff game.

Wear what you want KNOWING it could affect where you go.

But, Tee, that is changing. Today, I watched an umpire absolutely butcher ... his body. He was using the scissors. He was also wearing a hockey helmet. He was also watching the Braves beat the Lastros, 16-0. Lah, me!

No hat here. Hockey mask. No problems working playoffs either. There are a number of officials wearing them around here now. The numbers are growing as people love the view and protection. I wore a mask one time after using the helmet for quite a while. My strike zone suffered. View was too obscured. Also felt like I had to move my head to see the pitch all the way in. I understand they (Underarmor??) are making a hat for us helmet heads. Might check that out.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 05:07am
Official Forum Member

Re: And Kalix,

Why exactly wouldn't I get a playoff game in your area?

Would it be because I were a head protection device that improves my safety, improves my vision and allows me to be a better umpire?

Eeegads! A terribly egregious mistake on my part...

And at last count, I believe there are at least four MLB umpires who wear the hockey style masks. If MLB thinks that they are good enough for their umpires, well, perhaps some groups should re-evaluate their positions...

Quote:
. . . in my area:

Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 05:09am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: And Kalix,

The one game I tried to go back was the worst plate game I had all year...

I feel your pain

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
Quote:
. . . in my area:

But, Tee, that is changing. Today, I watched an umpire absolutely butcher ... his body. He was using the scissors. He was also wearing a hockey helmet. He was also watching the Braves beat the Lastros, 16-0. Lah, me!

No hat here. Hockey mask. No problems working playoffs either. There are a number of officials wearing them around here now. The numbers are growing as people love the view and protection. I wore a mask one time after using the helmet for quite a while. My strike zone suffered. View was too obscured. Also felt like I had to move my head to see the pitch all the way in. I understand they (Underarmor??) are making a hat for us helmet heads. Might check that out.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Kalix

My area, like many others, is slow to accept change from the status quo.

I have a column soon to be on the paid portion of this site about the challenges I face by selecting to use the "Gerry Davis Stance" on the plate.

While I would never select to wear a helmet I do understand those that do. I am not arguing about you wearing it.

What I am doing is what umpires do during a game: I am just reporting what is fact in my area.

A helmet places you in a position that your deductions of evaluation points for not wearing a hat drops you from the top most umpires that move on . . . plus you are required to take the helmet off EXACTLY as you do a mask . . . many of our umpires that wear the helmet don't take it off AT ALL.

The question I would like to ask, "if the #1 umpire in your group chose to wear a helmet would he not get the playoff games he normally works?"

Old Mon May 09, 2005, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Kalix

Tim,
I understand what you are saying and I realize you not arguing with me. Please know that I'm not arguing with you either.

In the association I belong to, I have been told at training that we could wear a hockey style mask if we want. The instructor even stated that he would probably wear one if he were a new guy, but that he is too used to the mask.

I am only a second year umpire and I have not and probably won't do any high school playoff games for some time. I did do some state playoff games for 14 and under last year, but that's about as much as I am likely to see. Here, the coaches have to have select you to work the high school playoffs. The coaches make you eligable, then the games are assigned. I am not certain of the criteria at that point, though I'm sure seniority plays a major role.

I know that we are not given any formal evaluations. I wish we were, as I would like to know what I could improve on. It would also standardize the way we work. From what I see so far, the big dogs here keep things on the down low as a way of keeping their positions. The only training that is done is for first and second year umpires. Everyone else is left to their own devices. That is why I anxious to get to a camp as soon as my life will allow. Until then, I read all that I can from the redbook, the rulebook, JR and on this board and try to become as good an umpire as I can be. From all that I've heard from other umpires, I am doing well so far. Which is good to know, as I am trying hard to do this right. The Marine in me would have it no other way.

Quote:

I have a column soon to be on the paid portion of this site about the challenges I face by selecting to use the "Gerry Davis Stance" on the plate.

While I would never select to wear a helmet I do understand those that do. I am not arguing about you wearing it.

What I am doing is what umpires do during a game: I am just reporting what is fact in my area.

A helmet places you in a position that your deductions of evaluation points for not wearing a hat drops you from the top most umpires that move on . . . plus you are required to take the helmet off EXACTLY as you do a mask . . . many of our umpires that wear the helmet don't take it off AT ALL.

The question I would like to ask, "if the #1 umpire in your group chose to wear a helmet would he not get the playoff games he normally works?"

Old Mon May 09, 2005, 01:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: Kalix

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaliix
Tim,
I understand what you are saying and I realize you not arguing with me. Please know that I'm not arguing with you either.

In the association I belong to, I have been told at training that we could wear a hockey style mask if we want. The instructor even stated that he would probably wear one if he were a new guy, but that he is too used to the mask.

I am only a second year umpire and I have not and probably won't do any high school playoff games for some time. I did do some state playoff games for 14 and under last year, but that's about as much as I am likely to see. Here, the coaches have to have select you to work the high school playoffs. The coaches make you eligable, then the games are assigned. I am not certain of the criteria at that point, though I'm sure seniority plays a major role.

I know that we are not given any formal evaluations. I wish we were, as I would like to know what I could improve on. It would also standardize the way we work. From what I see so far, the big dogs here keep things on the down low as a way of keeping their positions. The only training that is done is for first and second year umpires. Everyone else is left to their own devices. That is why I anxious to get to a camp as soon as my life will allow. Until then, I read all that I can from the redbook, the rulebook, JR and on this board and try to become as good an umpire as I can be. From all that I've heard from other umpires, I am doing well so far. Which is good to know, as I am trying hard to do this right. The Marine in me would have it no other way.
I can speak for what where I live only. Wearing a helmet or not wearing a helmet is not an issue where I live. You can wear pretty much what you like within the guidelines (color uniform for example). Of course some things are more acceptable and other things are not as acceptable. Playoff opportunities deal more with how many games you work, ratings and whether you get on enough top 15 lists than if you wear one item of umpiring equipment.

Peace
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 06:30pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: Kalix

Quote:

We have umpires working state-assigned sectionals that still use a balloon. THAT shouldn't happen.

In honor of this thread, I ordered the new Diamond headgear from GDS last night. I loaned out my All-Star helmet and I really didn't care for the feel, but the Diamond one is really nice.