The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
The subject tells most of the story.

The Tall Tee comes to town sometime in the middle of May. His column ("What I Know About Baseball") will appear three times a month.

Think of it: the three most prolific internet writers all working under the stame roof.

Childress, Christensen, Obsorne (alphabetical): curmudgeons? yes - - opinionated? yes - - interesting?

We hope.
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

sounds like a good hire
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Yes Sir,

I am excited for the opportunity to offer any help that I can offer to umpires of all types, shapes and levels.

I already received one private e-mail that said, "Hey Tee, glad to see you writing for officiating.com the only problem is the title of your column, what happens after the one paragraph that covers all you know."

I expect that this will be an interesting journey.
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
Dang, he beat me to it.
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Christensen joins Officiating.com

I didn't know it was coming apart.
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB

Tee Hee!
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 04:10am
Official Forum Member

Re: Yes Sir,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
I am excited for the opportunity to offer any help that I can offer to umpires of all types, shapes and levels.

I already received one private e-mail that said, "Hey Tee, glad to see you writing for officiating.com the only problem is the title of your column, what happens after the one paragraph that covers all you know."

I look forward to reading your paragraph, Tee!
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mbyron
Quote:

Tee Hee!
Mr. Christensen isn't the only new writer "joining" Officiating.com. Michael Byron (Ph.D., Notre Dame) debuts 6 May. Dr. Mike teaches philosophy at Kent State University and is a Fulbright scholar currently teaching and umpiring in.... Hustle back Friday, when all is revealed.

In the meantime here's the grabber from Part I of his opening series:I consider myself a novice umpire. Some would call me a rookie, as I am in my first three years. But in the space of 18 hours I became an expert. You could too: All you need is a solid foundation in rules and mechanics, a good grasp of game management, and a passport.Please welcome Michael Byron, better known here at The Forum as "mbyron."
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Re: Yes Sir,

Tee Congrats. Here's your response from my latest thread

I just wonder if anyone is savy enough to help both (all three?) types of umpires you list?

perhaps the aforementioned can be one of your first articles. If so, I look forward to reading it.

Pete Booth

Old Wed May 04, 2005, 09:30am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

I'm not even going to try for sarcasm (well, except in the rubbing baseball thread and I felt like a kid in a candy store there).

(1) Tee is going to be good for Officiating.com's baseball coverage. I can't wait to read his first column. Isn't that what the reaction should be? It hasn't been for the last few "new" writers.

(2) About a week ago I noticed that 20 pages of my 2005 BRD was missing -- naturally the interference section I was looking for. I emailed Carl, received a sincere apology from the admin at RightSports, and got an entire new BRD along with a free clothes bag.

So, as much as Carl and I go round and round, I have to give kudos where they are deserved. Perhaps if Carl hadn't removed ALL my articles from the Officiating.com archives I may have sent him another one dealing with my new job assigning a 44-team league and what assignors want in umpires....I'm actually sensing a time when I'll have time to write a few things about assigning and umpiring.

Guess I could always start a blog

[Edited by Rich Fronheiser on May 4th, 2005 at 10:56 AM]
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

That will be nice

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
The subject tells most of the story.

The Tall Tee comes to town sometime in the middle of May. His column ("What I Know About Baseball") will appear three times a month.

Think of it: the three most prolific internet writers all working under the stame roof.

Childress, Christensen, Obsorne (alphabetical): curmudgeons? yes - - opinionated? yes - - interesting?

We hope.
Good to know that some good reading will be in the works.

I have to admit, lately its been a little stale; good stories, but nothing too practical.

Thanks
David,
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
So, as much as Carl and I go round and round, I have to give kudos where they are deserved. Perhaps if Carl hadn't removed ALL my articles from the Officiating.com archives I may have sent him another one dealing with my new job assigning a 44-team league and what assignors want in umpires....I'm actually sensing a time when I'll have time to write a few things about assigning and umpiring. Guess I could always starta blog.
Here's what you said in your next-to-last email about writing for Officiating.com: "If and when I decide to write again, you'll be the first to know." Here's what you said in your last email, one day later: "Please, don't ever ask me to write anything again." Do I take it you are interested in writing about your new assignor job? If so, submit the article, and Officiating.com will publish. You don't need a blog.

As far as making your canon inaccessible, that's my policy for handling the articles of writers who leave under strained circumstances. When good feelings return, so do the articles.
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Gentlemen,

Please remember one important fact:

By my nature I am a "columnist" and not an author that deals in articles.

Some of my stuff will hopefully explain, some of my stuff will be autobiographical anecedotes from past happenings, some of my stuff will obviously be controversial.

I have offered 50 different subject ideas for CC review to see if this stuff is what I need to write about -- these are things that are widely varied in scope, importance and tone.

Only the paid subscribers will decide if what I write is important enough to read.

But I do promise to use spell checker before I turn them in.
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 12:03pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Re: Gentlemen,

Quote:
Please remember one important fact:

By my nature I am a "columnist" and not an author that deals in articles.

Some of my stuff will hopefully explain, some of my stuff will be autobiographical anecedotes from past happenings, some of my stuff will obviously be controversial.

Have some fun with it, Tee!
mick
Old Thu May 05, 2005, 12:30am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
So, as much as Carl and I go round and round, I have to give kudos where they are deserved. Perhaps if Carl hadn't removed ALL my articles from the Officiating.com archives I may have sent him another one dealing with my new job assigning a 44-team league and what assignors want in umpires....I'm actually sensing a time when I'll have time to write a few things about assigning and umpiring. Guess I could always starta blog.
Here's what you said in your next-to-last email about writing for Officiating.com: "If and when I decide to write again, you'll be the first to know." Here's what you said in your last email, one day later: "Please, don't ever ask me to write anything again." Do I take it you are interested in writing about your new assignor job? If so, submit the article, and Officiating.com will publish. You don't need a blog.

As far as making your canon inaccessible, that's my policy for handling the articles of writers who leave under strained circumstances. When good feelings return, so do the articles.
So your policy is to reduce the size of the archive that paying members have access to because feelings between the editor and the writer are strained? Interesting.

And you publish emails that (I believe) were sent privately from me to you?

Well, it's tempting, I must say.