Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Quote:
Originally posted by His High Holiness

yada yada yada

Peter
Agreed, Peter. Simply call time when R1 begins this bush league maneuver prior to anyone making a play on him. After he comes back to first and the ball is put in play, if he does it again, call time again. And again, and again.

Why are we calling time? Oh, I dunno, maybe to tie my shoelaces or get some dirt out of my eye or, or, or.....
I would love to be the coach of the team where you as umpire engaged in such behavior totally unsupported by the rules.

You're kidding, of course?

I discussed this play with Mike Fitzpatrick. His official interpretation is that it's ok for the runner to this.

But you don't care, right? YOU, not the rules, are the important thing on your field.
Silly, me. Sorry Peter, I'm not allowed to agree with you. Carl is right. Carl is is always right. I am wrong. You are wrong. When will we ever learn?

Come to think of it, there is really no need for this forum. Why waste time exchanging opinions and thoughts when all we really need is for Carl to post the one true answer to begin with? Hell, everyone should just buy the BRD and sell their computers.
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Spence, don't be a troll.

If your interp was right, then EVERY SINGLE TIME a runner rounded first on his way to 2nd on a double, he'd be out. And every time someone in MLB led off from 2nd (they all do it diagonally), they'd be out.

Get real.
Not sure what a 'troll' is but thanks for the advice.

You obviously didn't read ALL of my post. NOwhere did my 'interp' deal with runners rounding bases. It only dealt with runners locations when a play was made.

Let me know if I need to type bigger or slower.
Old Sat Apr 30, 2005, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by His High Holiness

yada yada yada

Peter
Agreed, Peter. Simply call time when R1 begins this bush league maneuver prior to anyone making a play on him. After he comes back to first and the ball is put in play, if he does it again, call time again. And again, and again.

Why are we calling time? Oh, I dunno, maybe to tie my shoelaces or get some dirt out of my eye or, or, or.....
I would love to be the coach of the team where you as umpire engaged in such behavior totally unsupported by the rules.

You're kidding, of course?

I discussed this play with Mike Fitzpatrick. His official interpretation is that it's ok for the runner to this.

But you don't care, right? YOU, not the rules, are the important thing on your field.
Silly, me. Sorry Peter, I'm not allowed to agree with you. Carl is right. Carl is is always right. I am wrong. You are wrong. When will we ever learn?

Come to think of it, there is really no need for this forum. Why waste time exchanging opinions and thoughts when all we really need is for Carl to post the one true answer to begin with? Hell, everyone should just buy the BRD and sell their computers.
Ok, your sophomoric sarcasm aside, talk about the play. Is Fitzpatrick wrong? Where's the citation to support your call on this play? FED 8-?-?. OBR 7.?(?)
Old Sat Apr 30, 2005, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Spence.

Check the NFHS rulebook on this matter. The OBR rulebook doesn't have the interpretation of where the baseline is established, but the FED book does. I'm not sure what rule number being I don't have my book in front of me. Look in FED rule 8, when a runner is out. It mentions the 3 foot baseline and has a note underneath it about how the baseline is established. I hope this helps.

P.S. A troll is someone who posts on a message board with the sole intention of inciting somebody to insult or flame another or themselves. I don't beleive you were trolling, you just took the rule as it was read. The NFHS has put this interp in their rulebook, OBR hasn't. Its implied in OBR that the runner etablishes his own baseline.

[Edited by aevans410 on Apr 30th, 2005 at 08:19 AM]