The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

The key word is "to avoid being tagged". Leaving the path that you were taking to the base in order to avoid a tag being placed on you AT that time. You can take any path from base to base you want to, but if the fielder is in your way with the ball and tries to tag you, once you try to get around the fielder by leaving the "baseline", your out.
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by His High Holiness
All;

Good umpires do not allow s$$$ like this in their ballgames. Yes it is legal but:

1. You will never see it on television.

2. Because you will never see it on televsion, you, the umpire will be blamed for the things that go wrong when this play is attempted. The other coach will be in your face. In evaluations or umpires, s$$$houses in games count against an umpire.

3. Big dogs like me will watch the circus that occurs and hold you, the umpire, accountable for the circus. When I see weird stuff like this in ballgames, I blame the umpire more than the coach. How the umpire responds has a lot to do with whether or not I recommend him for promotion.

4. There are a lot of things that the umpire can do to stop such nonsense. Because it never occurs on television, the umpire's reactions in shutting down this play cannot be evaluated against a standard. The lack of a standard gives the umpire wide latitude in dealing with this. Take it from a big dog. End this before it starts.

Calling out the runner for being out of the baseline is not the right way to go. I guarantee, however, that this play would never get off the ground in a game that I was doing. And if I saw it work in one of your games that I was watching, I would mark you down as not ready for the big time. The next time that you are tempted to allow something like this, remember that a big dog who controls your future may be watching.

Peter
Trolling today, HHH?
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aevans410
The key word is "to avoid being tagged". Leaving the path that you were taking to the base in order to avoid a tag being placed on you AT that time. You can take any path from base to base you want to, but if the fielder is in your way with the ball and tries to tag you, once you try to get around the fielder by leaving the "baseline", your out.
Logically, I understand what you're saying.

However, the wording in the rules that says "direct line between the bases" as the basis for the 3 feet boundary seems to contradict that.

In our example, at what point in the play has F4 established the 'baseline'? How close does he have to be in order for the runner to be avoiding the tag? Is the baseline a direct line between F4 and the runner at the time F4 starts out towards him?

There seems to be too many open interpretations using your logic and , again, it goes against what the wording seems to be saying.
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Spence
Quote:
Originally posted by aevans410
He can't be called out for being out of baseline unless the ball is being held in the baseline and a tag being attempted. Actually, once the defense starts to attempt a play, the baseline is then established between the point the runner is at (even if hes in right field) and the next base hes attempting to reach. The "baseline" doesn't necessarily have to be between 2 bases.

Edit : Ozzy beat me to it .

OBR 7.08 a(1) says :

a runner is out when he runs more than 3 feet away from a direct line between the bases to avoid being tagged...

That would seem to go against your interpretation of where the baseline is established. That wording would seem to indicate that as soon as F4 went to RF to tag the runner that he would be out as soon as he tries to avoid the tag by F4 since he's more than 3 feet away from the direct line between the bases.

I'm not an umpire . I'm just trying to find backing for your interpretation.

It's so universally known that the interp manuals don't cover it. Trust us, the runner establishes his own baseline.
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Thank you Rich, I was looking for an easy way to say that!

Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
All;

Good umpires do not allow s$$$ like this in their ballgames. Yes it is legal but:

2. Because you will never see it on televsion, you, the umpire will be blamed for the things that go wrong when this play is attempted. The other coach will be in your face. In evaluations or umpires, s$$$houses in games count against an umpire.

3. Big dogs like me will watch the circus that occurs and hold you, the umpire, accountable for the circus. When I see weird stuff like this in ballgames, I blame the umpire more than the coach. How the umpire responds has a lot to do with whether or not I recommend him for promotion.

4. There are a lot of things that the umpire can do to stop such nonsense. Because it never occurs on television, the umpire's reactions in shutting down this play cannot be evaluated against a standard. The lack of a standard gives the umpire wide latitude in dealing with this. Take it from a big dog. End this before it starts.

Calling out the runner for being out of the baseline is not the right way to go. I guarantee, however, that this play would never get off the ground in a game that I was doing. And if I saw it work in one of your games that I was watching, I would mark you down as not ready for the big time. The next time that you are tempted to allow something like this, remember that a big dog who controls your future may be watching.

Peter
Never seen this and never heard of it happening. You agree it's legal and you say this will never happen in your game. Assume that it does what are you going to do? Can't call the runner out for being out of the baseline how are you going to rule on this? All the Big Dogs are watching.
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ozzy6900
Quote:
All;

Good umpires do not allow s$$$ like this in their ballgames.....
Peter
Peter, I do not like the play either but I would like you to tell us all how you would stop this play and by what rules you will do this! The only way that I can see that an umpire can stop this play is to make up rules as he goes along!
Ozzy,

O ye of littel faith. Come on, this is "His High Holiness".

Just state that. "Coach, in accordance with "His High Holiness", this is not allowed" amen.

There , now at least YOU don't have to make something up, I did it for you.
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
All;

Peter
You don't see this on TV because it would be an easy out for any team that would be playing on TV, thus it is not attempted.
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
However, the wording in the rules that says "direct line between the bases" as the basis for the 3 feet boundary seems to contradict that.

That's exhibit 1 in the 743 (or some such number) "known errors" in OBR.

Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

That's exhibit 1 in the 743 (or some such number) "known errors" in OBR.

Ahhhh, is there a different resource that is more accurate? Or is the OBR the reason there is the cottage industry of Interpretation Books?
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Spence, don't be a troll.

If your interp was right, then EVERY SINGLE TIME a runner rounded first on his way to 2nd on a double, he'd be out. And every time someone in MLB led off from 2nd (they all do it diagonally), they'd be out.

Get real.
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
You don't see this on TV because it would be an easy out for any team that would be playing on TV, thus it is not attempted.
No, Several years ago a couple of umpires and I sat down and did the physics, and this would be possible. Follow me for a minute:

When I played NCAA baseball, the coach told us that a ball needed to be hit at least 270 feet into the outfield in order for a reasonably fast runner to score on a fly ball from third. If the outfielder had a strong arm, then 300 feet might me needed. Consider:

1. R1 on first leading off 12-15 feet can get to second in two throws by the defense, one of 60 feet and the other of 127 feet. Thus, the runner travels about 75 feet in the same time that it takes two players to throw the ball 187 feet.

2. In college, during drills we proved that a player could run 90 feet in the same time that it took an outfielder to wind up and throw 270-300 feet (with a bounce of course).

Imagine an MLB player who overruns first on a base hit and heads out to straight away right field, exactly 200 feet from home plate with a runner on third. As the second baseman walks out to tag him, the runner on third leads off. R1, in right field, plants his feet firmly in the ground and does not move. If F4 throws to F9 to tag R1, from (1) above we know that R3 has plenty of time to scamper home. TWO throws would total obout 300 feet. That's an extra .5 -1.0 second that would be needed for the second fielder to wind up over and above the what was required in (2) above.

On the other hand, if F4 continues walking towards R1 above, R3 can continue increasing his lead from third. Somewhere around 150-180 feet from home (and still at least 20 feet from R1) R3 will have attained a 45 foot lead from third base. At this point, home plate is as close as third and R3 can scamper home.

So, this play is physically possible but you never see it. Why not? I maintain that an MLB umpire would put a stop to it for a number of reasons. Furthermore, although this play has gained internet legend status as legal, I believe that an umpire has authority under the rules to stop it. Here is why:

Prior to each pitch, there is an assumed period of relaxed action where:

1. The umpire can call time and dust off home plate.

2. The pitcher can request a new ball.

3. The catcher can request time to go talk to the pitcher

4. The coach can request time to visit the mound.

5. The batter can request time to do whatever.

With this crazy play, there is no period of relaxed action. If the catcher wants to visit the pitcher, he cannot call time because there is still a play to be made. Since there is no relaxed action, the 20 second clock does not start on the pitcher to pitch, and he could sit down near the mound and wait for R1 to make his next move. You, the umpire, could not enforce the 20 second rule because a play was still being made.

If you did call time, R1 would have to return to first before you could put the ball in play. If the batter tried to protect him by stepping out of the box, time is called and R1 must return to first. Then the pitcher could do a quick but legal delivery before R1 could get back to right field.

The list of f$$$ ups and bizarre stuff goes on and on. This is the reason that this play would never be allowed in MLB.

The umpire is on shaky ground when trying to deal with this since there is no clear written rule. He does not want a protest. One thing he can do is to continually call time as R1 moves to right field. A better alternative is to eject R1 and put in a replacement for him on first. Ejections are not protestable, since in a strict sense of the word, there has been no lost outs, runs, or strikes to the offensive team. Potential hits by the number 4 batter do not count in figuring out if an action by an umpire changed the outcome of the game. Thus an umpire can always enforce his will by an ejection without fear of protest. You do not even have to have a credible reason for a an ejection.

MLB is like the movie "Fiddler on the Roof. " Tradition rules. They are extremely sensitive to tradition. An MLB umpire would easily get away with ejecting R1 for making a travesty of the game.

Prior to WWI, I believe, (situation R3, R1, and R1 stealing) an MLB catcher threw a potato hidden in his glove to second. (in order to fool R3) He then fired the real ball to third getting R3. Despite lack of a rule regarding potatos, the umpire put R3 back on third and ejected the catcher. The umpire actions were upheld on protest. I would bet that a similar fate would befall R1 for trying the skunk in right field play and that is why you do not see this play on television.

Peter
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
All;

Peter
Peter: Don't be too sure it isn't seen on TV. Some of our high school games are televised, and several teams use this "ploy." It was invented by a Little League coach in the senior league (where they can lead off) in New York state.

It is often successful at high school and below. I've seen it tried a couple of times at JUCO - to dismal failure.

At our coaches meeting in January, the subject came up: "What can we do on defense?"

I said: "Cut him off at the pass." Station F4 directly between him and second; station F3 directly between him and first. Throw it to the second baseman and have him sprint toward the runner. (Of course, you keep your eye on third base.) There's simply no way the runner can reach any base safely, so the only question is: Can the defense score an out on R3 (forget about R1) if he commits to home?

If you'll check the BRD, you find that PBUC has ruled the runner may lead off any way he wishes from any base. (Section 411)
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

yada yada yada

Peter
Agreed, Peter. Simply call time when R1 begins this bush league maneuver prior to anyone making a play on him. After he comes back to first and the ball is put in play, if he does it again, call time again. And again, and again.

Why are we calling time? Oh, I dunno, maybe to tie my shoelaces or get some dirt out of my eye or, or, or.....
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Quote:

yada yada yada

Peter
Agreed, Peter. Simply call time when R1 begins this bush league maneuver prior to anyone making a play on him. After he comes back to first and the ball is put in play, if he does it again, call time again. And again, and again.

Why are we calling time? Oh, I dunno, maybe to tie my shoelaces or get some dirt out of my eye or, or, or.....
I would love to be the coach of the team where you as umpire engaged in such behavior totally unsupported by the rules.

You're kidding, of course?

I discussed this play with Mike Fitzpatrick. His official interpretation is that it's ok for the runner to this.

But you don't care, right? YOU, not the rules, are the important thing on your field.