The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 11:48am
Do not give a damn!!

Wink Oh well.

When people say they have an "automatic" ejection that means to me that there is no thought process that goes into an ejection. I know every ejection I have made had some thought or consideration involved in that decision. As I have stated before, I have never had a player "try me" like that with an out loud profanity aimed in my direction. Maybe I have the demeanor that does not have that happen. I have no idea. It just does not happen to me. When it does I might say it is an "automatic." I just do not have HS and college players trying me like that.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

I've only had to dump one coach. U-12 game, my partner makes the mistake of calling a kid out for accidentally throwing the bat (I'm BU). It was a deep fly to Left Center so I didn't see what happened (we were running the V mechanics so I had the catch), and my PU didn't audbile very well because I had no idea what was going on. After F8 made the catch and threw the ball to second base, I follow the ball in from the outfield to 2nd and as I turn around, I see HC on the field screaming at me that the "call was B***Sh** and that he wanted a God D*** appeal. Mind you...ball is still live. F4 receives the ball from the outfield, I call Time, look at the coach from about 50 feet away, and go, "Coach, I don't know what you want, but I do know YOU'RE GONE!" Only then did I find out what all the hoopla was about.
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Thought process

I would have to say that I will and do take stock in the sit that I'm in when something starts to happen. But it doesn't take me very long to make up my mind if I have a player or coach running out to me calling me a "Stupid MF" because he didn't agree with my call.

Rut, unfortunately I have not had, and probably won't get the opportunity to work at the level which you do (work schedule varies way too much week to week), that said, I have had the displeasure of having to deal with some jackasses who think they know the rules better than I, or fail to realize that losing a regular season game is not the last sign before the apocalypse comes.

So I will continue to do what I can (restrict/eject) to any player or coach that I feel is doing anything that is degrading to me, the others on the field, or the game.
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

I think the longer you officiate the more firm these limits become. I used to put up with quite a bit more than I do now.

Back in the days of JV officiating I felt there was a reason I was working that level and also that the coach was working that level - neither of us were very good. Tossed a lot of coaches at that level - particularly in Basketball.

I've now become more understanding of the coach's plight to maintain his employment - need to win. I don't know that my tolerance has changed but my response is much calmer.

I now do a much better job - my mechanics and rules knowledge are far superior than when I began officiating (holy cow 25 years ago!). I'm confident in what I do - this in itself seem to keep me out of trouble. Coaches don't seem to argue near as much as they used to - I think I've changed for the better. Additionally, I've become much more relaxed and personable during games.

Of course in officiating sports, I've been involved in many highly emotional situations (like all of those early ejections). However, my responses have now become much more controlled. Used to be that if the coach wanted to scream and holler, I would be willing to publicly scream right along with him (no more self-imposed public stupidity today). Now I save my emotional response for private release after the game is completed - I'm trying to get past this self-imposed stupidity/burden also. Ejection should be completely emotionless - you have stepped over the boundary and the penalty is ejection. Sorry, it was your choice. You knew the limit (well, maybe) and you chose ejection (now you know the limit).

I still do not tolerate JV ignorance - I believe my last ejection was a JV baseball coach. (Absolute dork! Nearly forfeited the game because the idiot tried to sneek around the dugout, join the crowd, and still watch the game through the backstop.)

I take a little screaming but do my best to remain calm. For myself typical ejections are a result of negative insinuations such as "that's horrible," "Worst call all season," "You're terrible." Refusal to heed the stop sign. Refusal to comply with dictated requirements - "You need to stop," "You need to get off the field now."

well there's my two bits...
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Oh well.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
When people say they have an "automatic" ejection that means to me that there is no thought process that goes into an ejection. I know every ejection I have made had some thought or consideration involved in that decision.
To my mind, an automatic ejection would be one not preceded by a warning.
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Oh well.

Quote:
Originally posted by mbyron
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
When people say they have an "automatic" ejection that means to me that there is no thought process that goes into an ejection. I know every ejection I have made had some thought or consideration involved in that decision.
Exactly. "Automatics" get no warning. That doesn't mean there is no thought process. But what is there really to think about if a coach comes out and bumps you, or yells F@#K YOu?
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Re: AGREED!

[/B][/QUOTE]

That would be crazy. The restriction is a good idea but it just don't seem to work. All you are going to have now is a coach sitting in the dugout chirping about balls and strikes.

My BU had a Asst. coach arguing a call at first last week in playoff game. The call was not that close IMO as I was following the BR up the line following a bunt.

I saw my BU motion to the dugout so I knew he was restricting him to dugout. What followed was about as immature display by a coach - thought it was Lou Panella on the field. Needless to say he was history, but just reminds me that all a restriction does it make them mad.

Thanks
David

[/B][/QUOTE]Just because he is restricted does not mean he has liberty to go to the dugout and continue to run his mouth. And of course this is direction from the state, you don't think I would think this up on my own, surely. There are stiff penalties for coaches and players who are ejected, so they want to restrict first, unless it is one of the big 6 that will get you ejected immediately. Arguing balls and strikes is not one of them.
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 10:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: Oh well.

Quote:
Originally posted by mbyron
Then I must have a lot of "automatic" ejections. I do not give warnings for behavior I see as over the line. Especially when we have a sportsmanship statement that is required. To have a coach say f@@k you is not something I see or hear of happening where I am.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Oh well.

[/B][/QUOTE]

To have a coach say f@@k you is not something I see or hear of happening where I am.

Peace [/B][/QUOTE]Thst would be one of the big 6, around here.
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
1. loud cussing
2. drawing a line in the dirt
3. bump
4. "you ___________"
5. malicious contact
these 5 are certain. Balls and strikes depends on the situation. I usually tell the coach I'm not discussing it if he is just standing next to me talking about it.. If he persists then I will then start to look at a dumping. If he starts sreaming clear accross the diamond then that will get a much faster dumping.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
1. loud cussing
3. bump
4. "you ___________"
5. malicious contact
these 5 are certain.
How about using tobacco in a FED or NCAA games?
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by His High Holiness
Quote:
1. loud cussing
3. bump
4. "you ___________"
5. malicious contact
these 5 are certain.
ahhh good point on the tobacco. I kept thinking to myself there was another. I have not had an issue at all with tobacco so it escaped me.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Sat Apr 30, 2005, 08:28am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by His High Holiness
Quote:
1. loud cussing
3. bump
4. "you ___________"
5. malicious contact
these 5 are certain.
ahhh good point on the tobacco. I kept thinking to myself there was another. I have not had an issue at all with tobacco so it escaped me.
I've never had a problem with tobacoo either. I think if I did, my first thought would be...."You've got to be kidding me..."
Old Sat Apr 30, 2005, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

My draw a line story

The one and only time I had a batter draw a line, I was so stunned, I didn't eject, partly the audacity to draw, but mostly because the line he drew was in the strike zone, I was so flabbergasted I just ignored it. - A big mistake I know now a lot better, but still, I look back and laugh about it.