The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Question

Last night's FED game. Coach had 11 players. They were smearing the other team 27-1. Both players on the bench were original starters. In the top of the second inning I warned the coach about one of his players throwing the bat. The same player came up in the 3rd and threw his bat again, catching the other team's catcher across the knees. I waited till the play was over (he ended up on first) and then calmly walked down to the coach and explained that the player was restricted to the dugout for the remainder of the game.

Now the question was, who was going to take the runner's place at first? Both people on the bench were locked into other batting positions. I vaguely remember an "exceptional substitution" rule which allows another player already in the lineup to return in a different spot if an injury or disqualification takes place, and no other players are available...but I can't find it now in the rule book. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, or maybe I'm all wet.

I told my partner that if that rule's not in there, I'll eat my hat. Do I have some high fiber coming????