The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

" If the announcement is verbally made, and the fielder makes a catch after the fact, the out is nullified, the ball is dead and a foul ball is charged to the batter. "

jicecone -
Is this true?
I have never heard this referenced before.
Could you give me any FED references to this either in the Rules Book or Case Book? I am not questioning whether or not you are correct. I only want a reference so that when I see this I can quote a reference.
Thanks in advance.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by officialtony

" If the announcement is verbally made, and the fielder makes a catch after the fact, the out is nullified, the ball is dead and a foul ball is charged to the batter. "

jicecone -
Is this true?
Could you give me any FED references to this either in the Rules Book or Case Book? I am not questioning whether or not you are correct. I only want a reference so that when I see this I can quote a reference.
Thanks in advance.
2005 Interp #3.

Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

jicecone -
Is this true?
Thanks in advance.
Rule book 5-1-1.h

Go to NFHS.org Latest baseball rule interpretations, Sit # 3

Also think about it. The rule says the ball is Dead when announced. Well like the balk in fed, Its DEAD.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Bob & jicecone -

THANKS ! ! ! ! !

Very much appreciated!
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
to mcrowder -
The coach spoke with the PU for about a minute and a half. The PU appeared to be defending himself, but I do not know what was said. I do know that the runner was left on base even after it appeared he had called the ball foul. Again, I want to emphasize that I did not HEAR him say Foul. I only saw his hands clearly ( in my mind ) signal foul. But enough people on and off the field felt it was called foul to have the coach come out to question the runner being left on 1st base.
Again, my feeling is the PU booted the call and didn't want to admit it. The real point of my post was -
If I was the one who made this error as the PU, should I put the batter/runner back in the box with another strike to his count and admit I blew the original call, or . . . . do I leave him at first and try to talk my way out of it? My gut feeling is I admit the mistake and make the batter return to the box. I was looking for others to tell me how they would handle it
If I'm the PU and I threw my hands up like it was foul, it's going be foul, right or wrong, whether I said anything or not. The lesser of two evils is a strike on the batter, vs. a base runner.

If I was on bases and my partner made this same signal and then came out to ask me what I saw I might say "It does not matter what I saw, because you are going to look like a damn fool if this is not ruled a foul ball, so it will be best for me to shake my head up and down like I agree with you and we leave this a foul ball and bring this guy back to bat."
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

DG,
Great points made.
I neglected to consider being the BU on this call. But I agree with you. Support the PU but make the right call - Foul Ball and move on.
Great insight.
Thanks.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

jicecone -
Is this true?
Thanks in advance.

I don't understand the concern for this scenario. It's an easy one to avoid. Don't call batted balls foul before they are. What's the confusion?

Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Quote:

jicecone -
Is this true?
Thanks in advance.

I don't understand the concern for this scenario. It's an easy one to avoid. Don't call batted balls foul before they are. What's the confusion?

Everybody has a brain fart every now and then. I had one about two weeks ago. I was in A when a bounding ball bounced over the top of the bag directly at me. As I was dodging the ball I threw my left hand out toward foul territory and immediately realized it was the wrong hand in the wrong direction, so I turned and emphatically signalled fair a number of times with my right hand. I suppose if this had been a FED game (it was not), and I had said FOUL, it would have to remain foul. Nobody said a word about my initial wrong hand wrong call.

The confusion is due to brain farts.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

GB
There is no confusion.
Had I not seen this happen, I would never had thought it a possibility. Since I did see it, and I disagreed with the way it was handled, I wanted to find out other opinions on this. I agree that
" if it ain't foul, don't call it foul "
is a good philosophy. But since I am always learning, I look for insights from others.

Thanks for the replies.

OOPS!
Just reread your post and realized it pertained to the Foul Fly Ball Caught after the PU called it Foul. I have NOT seen that happen, but I have seen hasty calls made which I now percieve to be premature. I can be sure that I will NOT be calling ANYTHING Foul until it is in fact foul.

Thanks

[Edited by officialtony on Mar 30th, 2005 at 11:18 PM]
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

In an ideal world everyone does everything right.

Rule 5-1-1h addresses a real world happening to correct the situation should an umpire make the mistake. The rule is specific and requires a VERBAL ANNOUNCEMENT.

If the umpire did not verbally state "foul ball' then no mistake has been made and nothing to correct. The hand signal, while in error, means nothing per this rule. Let the play stand.

That said, nothing irks me more than an umpire who is not honest when he has made a mistake. If he tries to save face because the verballizaton was not loud enough to be proven definitively then his integrity comes into question.

Without integrity all is lost.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 01:15am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by DG

Everybody has a brain fart every now and then. I had one about two weeks ago. I was in A when a bounding ball bounced over the top of the bag directly at me. As I was dodging the ball I threw my left hand out toward foul territory and immediately realized it was the wrong hand in the wrong direction, so I turned and emphatically signalled fair a number of times with my right hand. I suppose if this had been a FED game (it was not), and I had said FOUL, it would have to remain foul. Nobody said a word about my initial wrong hand wrong call.

Now you learn from the situation, it should not happen again. This is really unavoidable.

Peace
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by DG

Now you learn from the situation, it should not happen again. This is really unavoidable.

Peace
Had another one tonight. High fastball, batter swings, pitch nicked the catcher's mitt and then hit me in the face mask. After it hit me I find my hands up signaling foul, so my brain must have thought it was also tipped. Or, it was a brain fart. I don't really know. I just know that the ruling was FOUL, because I had my hands up, no time to say anything. There was a runner on 1B at the time. No complaints, so maybe the call was not a brain fart, I honestly don't know. I just know I had my hands up.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 05:45am
Official Forum Member

" Rule 5-1-1h addresses a real world happening to correct the situation should an umpire make the mistake. The rule is specific and requires a VERBAL ANNOUNCEMENT.

If the umpire did not verbally state "foul ball' then no mistake has been made and nothing to correct. The hand signal, while in error, means nothing per this rule. Let the play stand. "

I would agree with you that 5-1-1h is VERY specific and does require verbal announcement. However, this same PU earlier in the game had signaled Foul with only his hands upraised on several very obvious foul balls ( haven't we all ? ). 5-1-1h makes no reference to only when it is not obvious do you verbalize. Since the PU did not verbalize the earlier obvious Foul Ball, is it still live? Of course not. But my point is, when observers saw his hands go up ( and again, I was behind the dugout and did not hear if he verbalized the foul or not ) they presumed he was making a foul ball call. That was the point of my question - if the PU blew it should he return the batter? I think you answered that in the end of your post ( as did others ).
And again my thanks to all for responding to my post. I got some very good insights.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Gobama - exactly what am I supposed to get over? That was a remarkably rude response to a very simple question.

Why does the fact that it was JV have anything at all to do with the protest ability?

There are states that don't allow protests? Really? Scary if true.

Ozzy - his call of fair/foul (a judgement call, I agree) is not the protestable issue here. It's the umpire's decision to leave BR on 1st after first calling it foul (assuming that is actually what he called) that is protestable.

mcrowder,

Yep, Georgia is one of the states which has removed the coaches avenue of protest, BB and SB. I think that was a bad move myself. I believe it was precipitated by a call in a football game a couple years back which stirred up some boogers!
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DG
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by JRutledge
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by DG

I agree "Brain farts" happen. But for the most part, it is a matter of training oneself to react properly. This comes from experience. Get into the proper position to see the play, take a second to understand what just happened, then react accordingly with your ruling.

I would say that the most difficult time is the screamer down the line, (fair/foul), two man system, partner in B or C and you look up and see batter.

Sometimes we have to sell guess's also.