The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

How can you NOT kill the ball? It is under the control of the offense. If someone asks me why I killed the ball, I say, "Because it was under control of the offense".

If you don't kill it, what happens if he holds onto it for a second or two, then drops it, and then catcher (who had to travel a few more steps than he would have otherwise) boots it when picking it up and BR successfully takes 2nd base? Obviously the play was affected by BR. Can you retroactively call interference? No - because interference is a dead ball at the moment it happens, and you didn't call a dead ball.

What if, instead of handing it to the catcher, he lobs it to the pitcher. You killing it then? No? What if pitcher flubs the catch and boots it, and BR heads to second?

You even say... "Now if the BR decides to do the LL play and head to 2nd, guess what? He gets an assist on his own put out!" What if he's SAFE?!?!?! He "assisted" his own advancement. That is, to put it bluntly, WRONG.

You CANNOT leave this play live - anything that happens after BR picked up the ball is tainted by that act. Nothing good can come of leaving the ball live here.

And even though Tee was disqualified from responding by the original poster , I'm curious to see if he agrees here. (Although he may not comment at all, as we started in boogerland are rapidly approaching TWP-land).
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
How can you NOT kill the ball? It is under the control of the offense. If someone asks me why I killed the ball, I say, "Because it was under control of the offense".

{SNIP....]

And even though Tee was disqualified from responding by the original poster , I'm curious to see if he agrees here. (Although he may not comment at all, as we started in boogerland are rapidly approaching TWP-land).
Back-to-front: please note that the TWP's are the ones in your post suggesting that things will go south if the ball is not made dead. In the overwhelming majority of the few instances where this issue will arise, NOTHING bad will happen unless you kill the ball:

As our scene opens: BR, after being awarded a free pass to 1st, reached down, picks up ball, hands it to F2, and continues to 1st, where he stands, casually removing his batting glove and talking to his coach ...

Ump[mc]: [As BR picks up the ball] Time!

D Coach: Huh? Why? [BR continues to base as described above ..]

mc: Ball was controlled by the offense.

DC: That's interference!! He's out on interference! Call him out!!!!!

mc: No, it's not interference, the ball's just dead 'cause there MIGHT be interference.

DC: [sputtering and starting to foam at the mouth]: Whddya mean it's not interference, he touched the ball!! You called time!! Ain't no rule for a dead ball if there might be interference: it is or ain't!! He touched a live ball on the field of play and you called TIME!! He's gotta be out, you said so yourself, it could be interference!!

mc: Now, coach .....[Off. coach arrives on scene, already sputtering ...] [at this point, there is a timely failure of the lights, and we leave our players as the scene fades from black to darker ...]

[Edited by cbfoulds on Mar 9th, 2005 at 12:40 PM]
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder

If you don't kill it, what happens if he holds onto it for a second or two, then drops it, and then catcher (who had to travel a few more steps than he would have otherwise) boots it when picking it up and BR successfully takes 2nd base? Obviously the play was affected by BR. Can you retroactively call interference? No - because interference is a dead ball at the moment it happens, and you didn't call a dead ball.

What if, instead of handing it to the catcher, he lobs it to the pitcher. You killing it then? No? What if pitcher flubs the catch and boots it, and BR heads to second?

You even say... "Now if the BR decides to do the LL play and head to 2nd, guess what? He gets an assist on his own put out!" What if he's SAFE?!?!?! He "assisted" his own advancement. That is, to put it bluntly, WRONG.

You CANNOT leave this play live - anything that happens after BR picked up the ball is tainted by that act. Nothing good can come of leaving the ball live here.

Woa there mcrowder! Don't go off the deep end here! If we have no one on, and the batter draws a walk and the BR simply picks up the ball and tosses it to the catcher we have NOTHING! No interference, no "lost ball in the uniform" no NOTHING! If you call interference, your MUST call an out! There is nothing the BR did (in this case) that warrants being called out.

Now, same situation but the BR pickes up the ball and pitches it into the dugout, THAT's interference!
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 12:55pm
Veteran College Umpire

"TIME! Leave the ball alone." Nuff said. No explanation needed, but if one was asked for I'd say the batter should not handle a live ball. There was no interference, so I'm not calling any. I've had this scenario: Runner on first, pitcher pitches, ball pops out of catchers glove and batter reaches out with his foot (or bat)to stop it. Runner going nowhere. I did NOT call time, but I did say, "Leave the ball alone.". Batter said, "Oh. OK." If the runner takes off when the ball pops out, and the batter touches the ball, NOW I have interference.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

. . . then there was the time when I was on the dish, with r1, and CAUGHT a straight fastball (with BOTH hands mind you) oops! Sorry I am not supposed to answer this thread!
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

"Woa there mcrowder! Don't go off the deep end here! If we have no one on, and the batter draws a walk and the BR simply picks up the ball and tosses it to the catcher we have NOTHING! No interference, no "lost ball in the uniform" no NOTHING! If you call interference, your MUST call an out! There is nothing the BR did (in this case) that warrants being called out.

Now, same situation but the BR pickes up the ball and pitches it into the dugout, THAT's interference!"

My question - why do you have interference on him throwing the ball into the dugout? You might have USC, but what play was he interfering with in that case that he was not interfering with in the initial case.

Someone's putting words in my mouth. I, too, have no interference at all. All I have is a dead ball.

MC - TIME!

Stop here - 90% of the time, nothing will happen here, and catcher will merely throw the ball to the pitcher.. but for the other 10%:

Coach - Why'd you call time?
MC - Offense had control of the ball.
Coach - That's interference!
MC - No, it's not, there is no play to be interfered with, and without a play you can't have interference. I called time simply because offense had control of the ball.

End of discussion.

I steadfastly maintain that NOTHING good can come of leaving the ball live. I still have not seen any compelling argument why you would WANT the ball to remain live. I also maintain that nothing BAD can come of calling it dead. The most negative thing anyone's coming up with so far is that you might have to explain your ruling to someone. Big deal.

Even in the tamest of situations, not TWP, if the BR handled the ball, handed it to the catcher, and then through some subsequent set of actions successfully made it to 2nd (regardless of what happened in between to cause him to be able to make it to 2nd), you can't get past the fact that BR may have affected the play by handling the ball, and it is POSSIBLE that his handling the ball in some way gave him some advantage. Since you can't call interference retroactively, you're now left with a BR gaining advantage from handling the ball, and no recourse to fix it.

I know Tee doesn't want to get involved ... but I'm curious - what did you do in the case you described? Dead Ball?

[Edited by mcrowder on Mar 9th, 2005 at 01:49 PM]
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Well,

It was asked:

"I know Tee doesn't want to get involved ... but I'm curious - what did you do in the case you described? Dead Ball?"

Nah, I acted like nothing was amiss and just tried to throw r1 out as he tried to steal second.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

mc:
Hope you realise, I'm not putting words in your mouth.
Nor am I real upset about your suggestion- just don't happen to agree with it; & having a little fun. I guess I usually just handle stuff like this more along the lines of what JJ does; not usually going beyond "Hey, Bubba, leave the ball alone, ok?". If the excrement hit the air-moving device [it never has, so I can say what I did] on one of these, I think I'd find a way to deal with it that everyone would buy. Now, in Tee's sitch, I'd probably call Time, since the ball is dead by rule when handled by an umpire, and no mandatory penalties or awards.

BTW, Tee: did you get him?
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Tee,

Actually had one better than that.

Third game of the day, very hot one. 13 -14 yr olds. Lop-sided score, top of 7th, 1 out. Hm team ahead by about a million runs, (well almost). R3. Visiting batter hits to SS who throws hm to get runner that leaves on the crack of the bat. Catcher tags and turns around and tosses ball to me. I throw it back and tell him batter-runner is headed for second. It must of been hotter than I thought. Runner is thrown out and everybody packs up and goes home.

True story.

NO interference, no DEAD BALL.

I did'nt dare ask for the assist. Although I think it is scored U1-F2-F6.