Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 06:49pm
M.A.S.H.

Anyone wear Honig's B2 plate pants? Your comments? Thanks
Old Sat Mar 05, 2005, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

I just got a new pair of Honig's plate pants last week. They were quickly delivered in only three days time. They are the athletic cut and they fit great and look great.

I have been reading that some umps say the Honig pants faded to pink or just plain fade out. I now have four pair and have never had any problems like this. Last year I did more than 150 games so I washed my 3 pair a BUNCH of times with no problems. I would guess if I continued to wash them this many times over 5-6 years they might indeed fade but sounds to me like I would still be getting my $$ worth out of them.

"I've never questioned the integrity of an umpire. Their eyesight, yes"---Leo Durocher
Old Sat Mar 05, 2005, 01:35pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by Strike3UROUT
I just got a new pair of Honig's plate pants last week. They were quickly delivered in only three days time. They are the athletic cut and they fit great and look great.

I have been reading that some umps say the Honig pants faded to pink or just plain fade out. I now have four pair and have never had any problems like this. Last year I did more than 150 games so I washed my 3 pair a BUNCH of times with no problems. I would guess if I continued to wash them this many times over 5-6 years they might indeed fade but sounds to me like I would still be getting my $$ worth out of them.
Yeah I have never had any problems with them either. However I do believe their baseball pants are about 1 size smaller than their basketball pants.
Old Sat Mar 05, 2005, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

However I do believe their baseball pants are about 1 size smaller than their basketball pants.

I used to think that,too, until I realize my waist was at least 1" smaller during basketball season than it was during baseball season.

While I am normally a Honig's kind of guy, I have experienced their plate pants turning pink from sunlight. By the end of the second year each pair I've purchased from Honigs suffered that same fate. The only area still heather gray was the area under my ball bags.

I am now entering my third year with the pro-model plate pants from Plus Pos, and while I would never recommend their customer service, there has been no evidence of fading at all.
Old Sat Mar 05, 2005, 02:16pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
However I do believe their baseball pants are about 1 size smaller than their basketball pants.

I used to think that,too, until I realize my waist was at least 1" smaller during basketball season than it was during baseball season.

While I am normally a Honig's kind of guy, I have experienced their plate pants turning pink from sunlight. By the end of the second year each pair I've purchased from Honigs suffered that same fate. The only area still heather gray was the area under my ball bags.

I am now entering my third year with the pro-model plate pants from Plus Pos, and while I would never recommend their customer service, there has been no evidence of fading at all.
Hopefully they have fixed this problem with their product. Can't say I'll be a very happy camper if this happens after spending 90 bucks on two pairs of pants.
Old Sat Mar 05, 2005, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Quote:

Hopefully they have fixed this problem with their product. Can't say I'll be a very happy camper if this happens after spending 90 bucks on two pairs of pants.
You have to realize that none of the major suppliers actually manufacture their own pants. They purchase them from apparel companies who purchase fabric in bulk. Honig's may have been victim of a bad dye-lot. My only conern was that it happened to pants purchased over a 3 year period, which leads me to suspect that they continued to do business with a less than reliable supplier, or they purchased a huge inventory that took 3 years to exhaust.
Old Sat Mar 05, 2005, 04:03pm
M.A.S.H.

Wink

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You have to realize that none of the major suppliers actually manufacture their own pants. They purchase them from apparel companies who purchase fabric in bulk. Honig's may have been victim of a bad dye-lot. My only conern was that it happened to pants purchased over a 3 year period, which leads me to suspect that they continued to do business with a less than reliable supplier, or they purchased a huge inventory that took 3 years to exhaust.
You didn't by any chance wash them with your red shirt...did you?!
Old Sat Mar 05, 2005, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You didn't by any chance wash them with your red shirt...did you?!
I do not wash my plate pants. I have them dry cleaned.
Old Sat Mar 05, 2005, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Buy the poly-wool pants from honigs - dollar for dollar, the best quality umpire pants you can buy. It is a heavier fabric that wears excellent and lays nicely on your legs. The Fechheimer's that were specifically made for the big leaguers (the one's with the logo from Logo Athletic, Champion, Starter etc.) were the highest quality umpire pants ever made. Unfortunelately, they cost about $275 per pair and that material is no longer produced. The Honigs poly-wool pants are about as close to them in quality but at a fraction ($70)of the cost. And best of all, they WON'T turn pink on you (although the pants are a slightly darker shade of grey). Trust me, I've owned every brand imagineable - buy the Honig's Poly wool, you won't be disappointed!

[Edited by Sal Giaco on Mar 10th, 2005 at 12:53 PM]
Old Sat Mar 05, 2005, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Sal:

My honigs pants WERE the poly-wool blend. I still believe it was a dye-lot problem.

Used pants at $150? Sorry. Only if the former Major Leaguer left a hundred dollar bill in the pocket.

[Edited by GarthB on Mar 5th, 2005 at 05:05 PM]
Old Sat Mar 05, 2005, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Talk with Bill in the Ann Arbor store - he stands behind the quality...within reason. Also, you may want to consider dry cleaning or washing them with very little mild soap since, for the most part, we are just getting the dust out of them.

[Edited by Sal Giaco on Mar 10th, 2005 at 12:53 PM]
Old Sun Mar 06, 2005, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Pretty accurate Chris - the old MLB Fechheimer's also have a special kind of Dacron polyster that has a little "sheen" in them...kind of like a dress pant would. Because they are tailored to exact measurements, the Fechheimers also fit a little nicer in the crotch area and are tapered at the leg.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2005, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

$150 for pants?!

Heck, I've got a Fechheimer plate coat, with the Starter emblem AND the MLB anniversary patch that I'll let go for the same price.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2005, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris_Hickman

The AAA fill-ins all wear the honigs wool slacks and the mlb guys wear slacks from a company out of Tennesee (cannot remember the name)

Harvick's?? Something like that? I think that is where Honig's is getting their plate coats from now that they are reselling them.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2005, 06:53pm
M.A.S.H.

Thumbs up

Just got my pants today. Already sent them off to get hemed. I will have them back next Wednesday and my season starts the following Monday!