The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Dearest T'

I do not assert that I know the rules better than anyone else here; on the contrary, my very posting on this board should be evidence of that.

But when it comes to asking someone with more experience han I, I have a difficult time accepting an interpretation just because it comes from a BIG DOG. I guess I've had enough experiences with Smitty to have a healty scepticism.

However, when a situation or rule is explained to me in a clear and logically consistent fashion, I will be the first to say I see the light, and thanks.

In this situation, however, no one has yet to make that argument. That's why I have asked three times for a ruling on the above similiar play. When someone can rule on that play in a consistant fashion commensurate with the original situation that started all of this, then I will be able to say I see the light.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

The Chase is the Thing

With apologies to Shakespeare

If you go back and re-read my posts, you can see where my thoughts have evolved to this point. You have finally stated what I've been saying all along: If the catcher would have to chase the runner, then a simple appeal suffices. But if the runner is close enough to the plate so that the catcher does not have to chase, then the runner needs to be tagged.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Re: The Chase is the Thing

Great, then we are all in agreement on the original play. Since the runner arrived at the plate a moment ahead of the ball, a tag is required.

Quote:
Originally posted by dddunn3d
With apologies to Shakespeare

If you go back and re-read my posts, you can see where my thoughts have evolved to this point. You have finally stated what I've been saying all along: If the catcher would have to chase the runner, then a simple appeal suffices. But if the runner is close enough to the plate so that the catcher does not have to chase, then the runner needs to be tagged.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: The Chase is the Thing

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaliix
Great, then we are all in agreement on the original play. Since the runner arrived at the plate a moment ahead of the ball, a tag is required.

I like happy endings.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

dddunn,

I will offer a ruling on your ajunct play. Meat is out when catcher tags the plate.

There is a clear difference between original play and the play you outlined.

Mike
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that he must be tagged. As long as he has not stepped into the dugout he can return and since "time" has not been called the coach can not make a verbal appeal. The coach should have kept his mouth shut and not alerted the runner.
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Please Address this Situation:

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Ives
Quote:
Originally posted by dddunn3d
Bases loaded, 3-0 count, next pitch ball 4, R3 as before misses home plate.

R3 continues towards his dugout, a good 80' away from the plate, and is just two steps away from entering. At this time one of his teammates shouts to R3, "They're appealing you missing home!" R3 turns and observes that F1 has thrown the ball to F2; the ball is about half-way to home. R3 then starts to run back to the plate. Before R3 has traversed even one-third of the distance back to the plate, F2 has secured the ball while touching home, and asks for the appeal.

Is this a legal appeal or does F2 have to tag R3?

This rule applies only where runner is on his way to the bench and the catcher would be required to chase him.

Would the catcher have to chase the runner (leave the plate area)?
But you really don't know that until you see what the runner does. What if the runner comes all the way back to the plate and touches home with no tag attempt while the catcher just stands there and watches. The catcher didn't have to chase him as the runner came all the way back. Or do you just judge that on when the catcher catches the ball. As soon as he has posession, does he have to go after the runner? If yes, then appeal if not, then tag. Is that how I am reading this?
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

As soon as he has posession, does he have to go after the runner? If yes, then appeal if not, then tag. Is that how I am reading this?

Yes