The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 25, 2004, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Hi everyone,

I'm getting back into umpiring again after about a ten year hiatus. I used to work a lot of games as a teenager, but am now keen to get involved in the game again. It seems all of my materials from back then are either lost, destroyed, or unusable, so I am looking to start to build a new library of baseball officiating material. I've had a look at the PBUC books (+POS says they're on order until December) which look good, and I've also had a look at the three-volume binder set offered at Referee.Com. Can anyone recommend the must-have books for a returning umpire? I am in Canada, so some of the terms I've seen on the board I am unfamiliar with. However, if you could provide guidance on what you would consider essential publications, I'd appreciate hearing your suggestions.

One of the fun parts of coming back is replacing my old equipment (definitely appeals to the gadget/gizmo guy in me).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.
Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

I recently purchased the PBUC Umpire Manual and PBUC Manual for the Two Umpire System from Between the Lines Officials Gear, and I have to say I think both manuals are great. They are much better than anything else I have ever looked at, and are very in depth. I would recommend these two books at the top of any list.
Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

(+POS says they're on order until December)

One of the first lessons you should learn after being gone is that Plus POS customer service and delivery time usually sucks. Both books are available from many sources with shipping the same day or the next day. Try Gerry Davis or PBUC directly.

If you are planning on working under more than one set for rules, OBR and FED (high school), for example, Carl Childress' BRD is a good resource to have on hand.

Additionally, Jim Evans' Baseball Rules Index is handy. It is a pocket sized alphabetical listing of almost every phrase or word used in rules and rulings cross-referenced to each place in the rule book that they are found.

Since the JEA is unavailable to the public at this time, the Jaska/Roder is a reasonable substitute.

[Edited by GarthB on Nov 26th, 2004 at 04:02 PM]
Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB

Since the JEA is unavailable to the public at this time, the Jaska/Roder is a reasonable substitute.

What is the JEA? Can you please explain? Thanks.
Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

The Jim Evans Baseball Rules Annotated has become known as the JEA. The most recent publishing, I believe was in 1992. It is over 600 pages long counting the indices. In addtion to the exact quote of each rule it provides the history, professional interpretation and common usage.

Legal copies are not available at this time, however Jim has said that he will make it available within a year. He also said the indices will be abbreviated and the new version should be less than 500 pages. I don't believe a publisher or date has been firmly selected yet, but Officiating.com is in the running.
Old Fri Nov 26, 2004, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Legal copies are not available at this time, however Jim has said that he will make it available within a year.
:drool:

Too bad it's not available now -- what a great stocking stuffer JEA would make for us!
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I ordered the two PBUC books today from Between The Lines Official's Gear. Have to give them a great plug - awesome customer service; called me to confirm the order, then called again to confirm shipping costs to Canada. Great experience; highly recommend them to anyone looking for officials supplies.

I will definitely keep my eyes peeled for the 2005 BRD as well as the Jim Evans publication - the JEA sounds like a fantastic publication.
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Where do you find Between the Lines, is it on the internet?
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Willieg,

Between The Lines can be reached here: https://www.btlofficialsgear.com/index.shtml

Like I said, great customer service; I would highly recommend them.
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Thank You
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestCoastUmpire
Willieg,

Between The Lines can be reached here: https://www.btlofficialsgear.com/index.shtml

Like I said, great customer service; I would highly recommend them.
I also recommend this place. I was a new umpire last year and the customer service was excellent.