View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 11:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue

Anthony gave the keynote address at the UMPS annual banquet and made a point of praising the crew working the ALCS. He said that the goal of every Illinois High School umpire should be to do whatever is necessary to get the call right. I almost fell out of my chair! The guys at my table started chuckling because they have been reading the happenings here. He said that he was going to ask his clinicians to promote this way of thought and encourage everyone to start thinking the same.
Why would that shock you? What else is he going to say, do not do that? That would be almost like saying, "we want consistency." Of course you do, but how you achieve that is another story.

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
Anthony is well aware of what it takes to make baseball thrive in our state. If the baseball advisor runs contrary to what Anthony wants, the rest of his term will probably be a little bit bumpy. Officials usually stick together and there is no real reason why they would not support this cause. The ADs are the bigger problem. They fight daily budget battles and will probably get an earful from teh union about whether of not the coach will be reimbursed for travel to the Rule Interp or clinic. The Part 1 can be taken online, so they can't argue that.

I just can't believe that every official doesn't think that this is a good idea. It can only make the game better.
My statement was not about whether the officials want something like that implemented. Officials suggest a lot of things and it never gets passed because the ADs and Principal committees do not pass things. Or they table the issue for years.

Peace