The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 29, 2004, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Re: This may be good for the Little Dog

[QUOTE]Originally posted by His High Holiness
Quote:
...I know how to be an a$$hole.
true...true...

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Wed Sep 29, 2004, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Re: This may be good for the Little Dog

Quote:
Originally posted by His High Holiness
Quote:
Originally posted by ozzy6900
Personaly, if I were on Tim McClelland's crew, I would have told him to get his a$$ back to the U3 position and get his calls right before he screws with mine. Those were 2 horrible, horrible calls that he blew! Maybe if he got off his duff and moved 6" or so, he would have seen them correctly. Believe me, that's what HS & NCAA coaches would be hollering if I made those calls!
McClelland is obviously the big dog. At any level you will become an ex umpire if you mess with big dogs, so if those little dog MLB umpires want to go back to the minors, they can mess with McClelland.

When I was moving up the food chain, it was fine with me if some big dog wanted to step in and throw someone out of the game. Here's why:

If I, as a little dog, threw someone out of the game, it was always my fault. No matter what the situation, the little dogs were always blamed. Not the coaches who threw a tantrum, not the players who screamed profanity, it was always the little dog umpire who screwed up. OTOH, a big dog could throw someone out of the game and he was a hero. Therefore, if the big dog wanted to bail me out and jump in to pitch someone, I was appreciative. He had saved me a whole bunch of grief. If the ejection was unjustified, his neck was on the line, not mine.

There is always another game to establish credibility. I do not have to do all and be all in my first few years at a new level. The coaches will learn in good time that I know how to be an a$$hole.

Peter
Good point, Pete. I forgot about the "you get your's & I'll get mine" from the Minor Leagues. I guess I'm just getting a little ticked with the poor performance in the bigs this year. We at our level are constantly reminded that we are blind, are stupid or just plain suck yet for the most part, we are right there when we are supposed to make the call. This morning I reviewed a call in another MLB game on the west coast (I believe). R3 coming in with the throw and the PU is on the 1st base side of an obvious block. He called the runner out but the foot was across the plate going into the catcher's mitt. Wrong position, wrong call!
Old Wed Sep 29, 2004, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up I saw that play

Poor call! And the crew chief didn't overrule him either!