View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

If anybody saw the Redsox/Yankees game on Sunday - Apparantly, after a Redsox pitcher threw at a Yankee batter, plate umpire Jim Wolf issued warnings to both sides. I guess Tim McClelland, the crew chief, over ruled Wolf and threw the pitcher out of the game immediately.

I know that a warning does not have to be issued prior to an ejection, but I thought it was interesting that Wolf, who could have also chosen to eject the pitcher immediately, chose to issue warnings instead. But the Crew Chief stepped in immediately and ejected the pitcher without even discussing it with the crew. Is someone stepping on someone else's toes here???

This isn't the first time McClelland did something like this. He (as the plate umpire) overrulled Angel Hernandez (right field umpire) on a fair/foul call of a homerun last year in the playoffs without getting together with his partners.

Actually, I think McClelland was right in both instances but the point is what powers does the crew chief have on the field and in what is the proper manner to excercise his authority on the field without it possibly undermining the ability of other crew members? What do you guys think?