The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Powers of a Crew Chief (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/15592-powers-crew-chief.html)

Sal Giaco Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:58am

If anybody saw the Redsox/Yankees game on Sunday - Apparantly, after a Redsox pitcher threw at a Yankee batter, plate umpire Jim Wolf issued warnings to both sides. I guess Tim McClelland, the crew chief, over ruled Wolf and threw the pitcher out of the game immediately.

I know that a warning does not have to be issued prior to an ejection, but I thought it was interesting that Wolf, who could have also chosen to eject the pitcher immediately, chose to issue warnings instead. But the Crew Chief stepped in immediately and ejected the pitcher without even discussing it with the crew. Is someone stepping on someone else's toes here???

This isn't the first time McClelland did something like this. He (as the plate umpire) overrulled Angel Hernandez (right field umpire) on a fair/foul call of a homerun last year in the playoffs without getting together with his partners.

Actually, I think McClelland was right in both instances but the point is what powers does the crew chief have on the field and in what is the proper manner to excercise his authority on the field without it possibly undermining the ability of other crew members? What do you guys think?

His High Holiness Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:07pm

Sal;

It is possible that he heard the pitcher say something out on the bases of which the PU was unaware. I would assume that McClelland had access to more information than the PU before jumping in like that.

Peter

Sal Giaco Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:37pm

Peter,
Do you think he should have briefly got together with Wolfe first to let him know before stepping in and ejecting immediately?

I guess what I'm saying is can doing something like that with out atleast consulting with the crew make your partners seem incompetent. What if Francona said if Wolfe didn't feel like an immediate ejection was warranted, why are you over rulling him. Also, did you notice when the Yankees retaileated in the next inning, Wolfe did not come out and eject the pitcher. After it all settled down, the TV showed a cutway of McClelland talking with coaches Mel Stotlemeyer and Willie Randolph - I am assuming to see who was going to act as Manager since Torre was ejected along with the pitcher. Wolfe was not in the conversation, atleast not that the TV showed.

mrm21711 Mon Sep 27, 2004 07:04pm

I love McClelland and think he handled the situation great. He is so calm and cool that every situation he is in he seems to handle correctly and diffuse it. Many umpires could learn a thing or two from him. I dont think it was a coincidence his crew was assigned this series.

Anybody who watched the game, I hope you were sick (as well was I) with Sutcliffe all over the HP Jim Wolf. Enough was enough after one inning of listening to that idiot.

chris s Mon Sep 27, 2004 08:16pm

Been there

Quote:

Originally posted by Sal Giaco
Peter,
Do you think he should have briefly got together with Wolfe first to let him know before stepping in and ejecting immediately?

I guess what I'm saying is can doing something like that with out atleast consulting with the crew make your partners seem incompetent. What if Francona said if Wolfe didn't feel like an immediate ejection was warranted, why are you over rulling him. Also, did you notice when the Yankees retaileated in the next inning, Wolfe did not come out and eject the pitcher. After it all settled down, the TV showed a cutway of McClelland talking with coaches Mel Stotlemeyer and Willie Randolph - I am assuming to see who was going to act as Manager since Torre was ejected along with the pitcher. Wolfe was not in the conversation, atleast not that the TV showed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~

As HHH said, heard a player call my pard a MO-fo, he was warning and I was tossing....simple nuff

ump3 Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:01pm

What?!

That's not what happen though. This is completely different than hearing someone call your partner something. Even if the pitcher said, "I'm going to throw at this guy's head.", Major League umpires have the discretion to warn pitchers EVEN IF THEY ARE INTENTIONALLY THROWING AT THEM. The only thing that McClelland can use here is that he believed that the pitcher was throwing at his head, which the rulebook strictly prohibits. Either way though, he stepped all over Wolf's crank. And not only once. The very next inning, a pitcher threw a pitch inside that Wolf obviously did not believe was intentional, yet McClelland took it upon himself AGAIN to eject the pitcher.
The last time that he did this (as noted above) in the playoffs, he came out the next day and publicly apologized for overruling another umpire WITHOUT being asked, also addressed by the rulebook. Maybe he'll do the right thing, and apologize again. This was nothing more than butting in when it was not neccessary. He should probably worry about his own calls (he missed one at third a couple nights earlier). Either that, or maybe he should start making all of Wolf's calls for him. Nothing like letting a first year full time umpire know that you have absolutely no confidence in him liking overruling him. What ever happened to allowing your crew to work a little bit?

Sal Giaco Tue Sep 28, 2004 07:09am

We can all debate whether McClelland was justified in what he did. The real question is not WHAT he did - but HOW he did it. Consider this...

1. Does the crew chief have the authority to over rule his partner at his OWN discretion (without being prompted by a manager and/or another partner on the crew??

2. Should the crew chief get together with his partner(s) to discuss the ruling before overturning a particular call.

3. What should the procedure be if a crew chief feels a strong need to overturn a call made by his partner?

While I believe McClelland "got it right" in both instances (on Sunday and in last year's playoffs), I believe umpires may run into problems down the road if certain guidelines are not put in place for these type of situations (alienating your partner(s), comprimising the abilities of other crew members, managers looking for the crew chief to over rule other calls at will throughout the game, etc). Looking to get your input on the three questions above - Thanks!

Gee Tue Sep 28, 2004 08:12am

What's the hurry?

Just ask yourself those questions. How would you feel if your crew Chief did it to you?

I'd be pi$$ed, unless it was a live ball sitch where immediate reversal is the proper mechanic.

McLelland is a bull. In last years ALCS and this recent Sunday there was absolutely no need to change the call without consultation as both were dead ball situations. I doubt that he stays in the same hotel with his crew. G.

Sal Giaco Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:15am

Gee,
I understand where you're coming from which brings up another question...

Is it more important to "get it right" even if it is at the expense of "showing up" your partner? For example, in last year's playoff, Hernandez called that homerun foul and McClelland over ruled him in order to "get it right". Should McClelland not said anything and let the wrong call stand??

Atl Blue Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:05pm

No, but he should have called time and gone to Hernandez with the information, and let Hernandez make the call.

Even McClelland admitted this. It wasn't the result, it was the way he got there that was incorrect.

Sal Giaco Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:11pm

Atl Blue,
I agree with you... so what should McClelland have done on Saturday? Should he have went to Wolfe first and told him that the pitcher should be ejected immediately??

tiger49 Tue Sep 28, 2004 07:43pm

Remembering what has gone on in recent times between these two teams, it is hard to believe that a warning to both teams wasn't issued before the game, with Wolf forgetting this. Thus Timmy came in right away to stop the situation quickly. Also remember the Commissioner's Office may of had something to that effect as well.

ozzy6900 Wed Sep 29, 2004 06:09am

Personaly, if I were on Tim McClelland's crew, I would have told him to get his a$$ back to the U3 position and get his calls right before he screws with mine. Those were 2 horrible, horrible calls that he blew! Maybe if he got off his duff and moved 6" or so, he would have seen them correctly. Believe me, that's what HS & NCAA coaches would be hollering if I made those calls!

cowbyfan1 Wed Sep 29, 2004 06:40am

I have respect for McClelland but I think he should have stayed out of it unless something was said. It totally undermines his crew members judgement. If I were Wolf I would request off his crew next year. I have had a crew cheif in football overrule I call I made when he did not even see it. I told my assignors to never crew me up with him again.

As far as confering with Wolf to determine if an ejection is warrented in this situation it would have been pointless. Unless you dump the player immediately then you don't dump him a few minutes later after only a conversation.

[Edited by cowbyfan1 on Sep 29th, 2004 at 07:43 AM]

His High Holiness Wed Sep 29, 2004 06:46am

This may be good for the Little Dog

Quote:

Originally posted by ozzy6900
Personaly, if I were on Tim McClelland's crew, I would have told him to get his a$$ back to the U3 position and get his calls right before he screws with mine. Those were 2 horrible, horrible calls that he blew! Maybe if he got off his duff and moved 6" or so, he would have seen them correctly. Believe me, that's what HS & NCAA coaches would be hollering if I made those calls!
McClelland is obviously the big dog. At any level you will become an ex umpire if you mess with big dogs, so if those little dog MLB umpires want to go back to the minors, they can mess with McClelland.

When I was moving up the food chain, it was fine with me if some big dog wanted to step in and throw someone out of the game. Here's why:

If I, as a little dog, threw someone out of the game, it was always my fault. No matter what the situation, the little dogs were always blamed. Not the coaches who threw a tantrum, not the players who screamed profanity, it was always the little dog umpire who screwed up. OTOH, a big dog could throw someone out of the game and he was a hero. Therefore, if the big dog wanted to bail me out and jump in to pitch someone, I was appreciative. He had saved me a whole bunch of grief. If the ejection was unjustified, his neck was on the line, not mine.

There is always another game to establish credibility. I do not have to do all and be all in my first few years at a new level. The coaches will learn in good time that I know how to be an a$$hole.

Peter