The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 26, 2004, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

This year Federation changed its book to allow, from the wind up position, a slight step to the side with the free foot to acknowledge what a lot of pitchers are doing, but nobody is calling: "During delivery, he may lift his non-pivot foot in a step forward, a step sideways, or in a step backward and a step forward, but he shall not otherwise lift either foot. [6.1.2]

OBR does not allow this: "With his "free" foot the pitcher may take one step backward and one step forward, but under no circumstances, to either side, that is to either the first base or third base side of the pitcher's rubber" [8.01a, comment]. Yet I have never seen this called a balk.

What about from the Set Position? I am seeing younger pitchers, who have learned bad form as Little Leaguers, continue using this side rocker step, after they have come set, and are delivering to the plate. My training was that they have to either deliver the ball to the batter, step toward an occupied base, or throw to first after having come to a complete stop.

Guidance anybody?
Old Sun Sep 26, 2004, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

OBR does not allow this

OBR rules don't allow it. OBR umpires do.

It's one more antiquated rule that is not used. A pitcher in the windup position is not trying to fool anyone with a move to first, so a step to the side of the rubber, rather than straight back, is accepted.

As for the set position, I have never seen a step to the side. I have seen pitchers come set in the "open stance", which is legal in OBR.
Old Sun Sep 26, 2004, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Strong
OBR does not allow this: "With his "free" foot the pitcher may take one step backward and one step forward, but under no circumstances, to either side, that is to either the first base or third base side of the pitcher's rubber" [8.01a, comment]. Yet I have never seen this called a balk.
It is not a balk. Balks are listed in rule 8.05 not 8.01.

Quote:
What about from the Set Position? I am seeing younger pitchers, who have learned bad form as Little Leaguers, continue using this side rocker step, after they have come set, and are delivering to the plate. My training was that they have to either deliver the ball to the batter, step toward an occupied base, or throw to first after having come to a complete stop.
Unless this it the kids first ever game on a big field, then I don't see this coming up. Once a runner steals because he is taking 5 seconds to deliver the ball, the pitcher will realize he needs to speed up and he will cut out the step to the side.
Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Yes, thank you for that rule interpretation. I guess I'm assuming that 8.05e names an illegal pitch as a balk, so I guess I'm asking if this is an illegal pitch.

Perhaps more about the situation would be helpful. For some of these pitchers, it IS the first time on a 90 ft diamond. I'm doing some games for a fall ball league (in which my son is playing, so I'm helping out) for players making the transition from Little League 60 ft. to 90 ft. bases. No balks or lead-offs in Little League. The players and often their coaches, do not know the pitching regulations, so I am constantly teaching, give warnings, and explaining why a balk has been called.

Its a transition program. Most catchers can't make a good throw down to second, so its often uncontested. Pitchers are just learning how to make a move at first, etc.

So, you may not have seen this side step from the set position, but is a a legal pitch and/or a balk with runners on base? Thanks.
Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 06:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, thank you for that rule interpretation. I guess I'm assuming that 8.05e names an illegal pitch as a balk, so I guess I'm asking if this is an illegal pitch.

/SNIP/

So, you may not have seen this side step from the set position, but is a a legal pitch and/or a balk with runners on base? Thanks.
"Illegal Pitch" is defined in another rule, and this ain't it; so, no - it is not an illegal pitch. But, just because the Rules like to mess with your mind, it is also not "legal".

Remember, not every violation of the pitching rules is a balk with runners on. Some are "Don't do that!" violations.

The windup side-step is probably not even that.
The FED rules change merely formalises the way the rule has [not] been enforced for a long time at all levels under all codes.

I'd need to see [or have explained in some detail] exactly what F1 is doing from the set position, to answer for that: I just cannot visualise a "side step from the set position", I guess. Unless, once F1 comes set, he takes TWO steps, one to the "side" [actually, toward 1st or 3rd] and one toward home to deliver: THAT's a balk.